Let's talk U(sic)GAg

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like they are bigger, faster, stronger and deeper than us... like every other year. I think we will need some early success and to force a couple more turnovers than they do and play a disciplined (few penalties) smart game to win. This team will do everything possible to make that happen and I think they will.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I really feel comfortable with our coaches on both sides of the ball with two weeks of planning to be able to come up with a great scheme on Defense and some new plays/variations on Offense. Conversely on ugays side i think they are arrogant enough on offense to not really change a thing. I will also take our coaches all day long for halftime and in-game adjustments over theirs.

THWG

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I finally went back to look at more of the Auburn/UGA game since I was more invested in the FSU game at the time. At first that 34-7 score sticks out like a sore thumb. Held Auburns offensive fire power and them blew them away.

After looking at it closer 17 of UGA's total points came off of relatively short fields. Their first TD came after Auburn had forced a punt and their guy lost it. Go 19 yards to tie the game up and take away some momentum. Their next 10 pts of the half they drove the field (83 and 66 yards). On the 83 yard drive they went for it on 4th and 1 for a TD which was unusual bc they hadn't gone for it a lot but chubb and gurley were getting chunks of yardage so it made sense to go for it. Auburns offense in the first half kept losing rhythm with holding calls.

It was apparent some in the 1st half but the 2nd half it was pretty obvious the huge advantage of having chubb and gurley. In the first half they'd alternate on possessions a fair amount with Chubb busting a lot of long runs, but in the 2nd half chubb and Gurley alternated possessions which had to have been a nightmare for the auburn D (a nightmare we luckily won't have to deal with to this extent). Offensive holding call on an auburn punt gave the ball to UGA basically at the 50 and another short field that led to a TD.

Down 24-7 Auburn goes for it on 4th and 8 and marshall can't connect on the pass. UGA AGAIN gets it around the 50 and leads to a FG to go up 27-7. One thing up until this point is our 3rd and long and 4th down decisions look a lot better. I think down 24-7 with over 20 minutes left in the game we may have punted to give them a longer field. At this point its 17 points off short fields and 10 off long fields. Another observation was Auburn's spread pretty much either ran Marshall on the keeper or Artis-Payne and that's it. Our increased number of playmakers makes me less concerned about how badly they stopped Auburns rushing oriented offense. Also, Smelter is a much better receiver than Coates IMO, so having him and Waller out there with UGA's secondary will be nice for us.

4th quarter starts and auburn drives down to the GT 11 with about 11:30 on the clock. Run for a loss followed by THREE STRAIGHT pass plays (reminds me of 2009 with the 3 straight to DT to try and get a first that didn't work out). They went away from running it at all (where even down we'd still use a run on more than 25%) and it lead to being intercepted in the redzone. This was the only other time Georgia had a long field and marched down against a demoralized Auburn I would assume making it easier... but then lost Gurley.

To me with half the points coming off short fields, I'm more confident at how we'll match up against them. Mason was a smidge above 50%, so oddly enough we're comparable in passing. Their loss of Gurley is so much bigger regardless of who people think is better between him and Chubb since that rotation is shot. You go from rotating to out of this world RBs to rotating 1 with either Douglas or if Sony comes back... that drop off will be huge for us. Even if Chubb gets his usual production the other will not and could lead to getting them behind the sticks and forcing Mason to pass or even better a TO whether fumble/INT.

Looking forward to taking them by surprise (at least their fans for sure) this year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Correct. By the numbers you would think their O line is out of this world, and it is good, but there runs are really about numbers. I think @stylee pointed this out earlier. They will line up with a 3 WR look, so if you leave one uncovered to have numbers to stop the run they check to the pass. If you do cover the WR with an OLB or nickel back (4-3 or 4-2-5), they pull the back side guard and/or tackle to the play side and block your 3 playside defenders with 5. They get the numbers advantage to one side and open a big lane. If you start cheating to one side they go play action and beat you with a pass. Florida played a good bit of man coverage to stop the run, but they have a good bit of speed and size on their D. We will probably play some man free as well, but they may beat you deep for a big play. A busted tackle will also be a big run. Plug the middle, and get numbers to the edge to contain the run would be my strategy. They will get some YPP, but make them walk it down the field and execute each play for 3-4 yards. I am not sure they are disciplined enough to do that. If they get a penalty and get behind in down and distance then you can play some coverage.

Yeah I posted this in another thread. Stylee may have too but this was almost my quotes exactly.

Fyi 4-2-5 is a nickel....
3-3-5 is a dollar package
4-1-6 is dime off our base
3-4-4 is simply a 3-4 base

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I posted this in another thread. Stylee may have too but this was almost my quotes exactly.

Fyi 4-2-5 is a nickel....
3-3-5 is a dollar package
4-1-6 is dime off our base
3-4-4 is simply a 3-4 base

Sorry @33jacket I think it was you. I was trying to give credit to the person that pointed it out. What are your thoughts on playing UGAg with the 3-3-5 package?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need to stack the box and blitz 5+ Every play to disrupt the O. I would have to say go with the 3 man front and rotate often. Their o line is deep and good. If we go 4 man our guys will be gassed early and will be Mashed into the linebackers when we need them. I say go 3-4 with a saftey walked up and send linebackers from everywhere. We've gotta disrupt the backfield before Chubb gets a head of steam. I'm worried about the talented wideouts, but I'm more worried about Chubb running for 200+ yards and being on the wrong side of the TOP.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like they are bigger, faster, stronger and deeper than us... like every other year. I think we will need some early success and to force a couple more turnovers than they do and play a disciplined (few penalties) smart game to win. This team will do everything possible to make that happen and I think they will.

We basically need what happened in 08 to happen this year...points off turnovers and field position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The game plan is simple, but not easy to do: play keep away. We did it against Miami to perfection so we know we can do it against a good defense. We need to keep that potent mutt offense on the sideline, out of rhythm and under pressure to match scores every possession.

Things I like about the bye week:

1. It gives Golden and Co. extra film study. Enough said!
2. It lets our whole team get their legs back and to freshen up sore and battered bodies. Enough said!
3. It give our staff enough time to rep any hidden wrinkles we're bound to see till they're second nature. I wonder if we'll finally see the hurry up offense we practiced in the Spring? I hope not because that will mean we need to which probably means we're behind by a bunch.

If our G-C-G have a good day, I like our chances. We get Devine back, so that's great news in this regard. If not, we better force a smattering of turnovers from our D or just plain get lucky. We're due for some breaks to go our way in this one.

How do the gagger DT's compare to Clems?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The game plan is simple, but not easy to do: play keep away. We did it against Miami to perfection so we know we can do it against a good defense. We need to keep that potent mutt offense on the sideline, out of rhythm and under pressure to match scores every possession.

Things I like about the bye week:

1. It gives Golden and Co. extra film study. Enough said!
2. It lets our whole team get their legs back and to freshen up sore and battered bodies. Enough said!
3. It give our staff enough time to rep any hidden wrinkles we're bound to see till they're second nature. I wonder if we'll finally see the hurry up offense we practiced in the Spring? I hope not because that will mean we need to which probably means we're behind by a bunch.

If our G-C-G have a good day, I like our chances. We get Devine back, so that's great news in this regard. If not, we better force a smattering of turnovers from our D or just plain get lucky. We're due for some breaks to go our way in this one.

How do the gagger DT's compare to Clems?
I am fairly certain that Clemson's D-Line is the best D-Line we can/will face this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Georgie is a very good team and has the best offense which we will face this year. However, and this is important: they weak. They average over 42 pts/game, allowing 21. I think they've only been behind against UF and USCe, losing both.

USCe is the best offense that they've faced, and ours is better. I think we have a good chance of putting them under pressure. Also, go Tennessee, the pressure will be even greater on georgie if they know they're the SEC-E champs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The only time all year I think we might be better off taking the ball first. If we can sustain an opening TD drive and put Bobo behind the 8-ball, he seems to have the tendency to unnecessarily get away from the power run game.

If, on the other hand, they come out and get a decent lead, we will be in trouble again (although I don't fear it as much as I did the past few years). UM game plan would be perfect in this one.

They are going to score. I would prefer we load up on the run game, too. If Mason hits some big passes, so be it. We'll just get the ball back against hopefully a tired D. I'd hate to see us try and focus on coverage at the expense of gashing power run plays and long drives.

I do believe we are the mentally stronger team. We haven't laid down at any point this year the way they did vs. UF.
This. Exactly this.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ugag is a good all around team again this year. Good ST, great OL, great backs. Their strength is Oline and running backs. Their Qb is a game manager but certainly no world beater. He's not likely to make many mistakes / turnovers. Their defense is good but not great. Until recently I'd have said average but not good but they seemed to have stepped up on that side of the ball also lately. Having said that I believe Clemson, VT, and Miami all have better overall defenses.

Screw the analysis...our guys are good to and there aint no quit in them. THWG!!! Lets just bust their ***.