Let's say Dabo, Nick, Urban or Coach K...

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I don’t think they would even come close to the recruiting success they had at their previous school. They would improve things on name alone but only to a certain extent. If I had to give a random estimate, I would say that it’s about 20% coach and 80% school. That’s why I hate hearing about how great a guy like Kirby Smart is at recruiting. Gee, he recruited well at Alabama and UGA. How impressive. Send him to Illinois and see how he does.

Ron Zook was a terrible coach/good recruiter. He pulled in top 30 classes at Illinois.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No, I don’t think they would even come close to the recruiting success they had at their previous school. They would improve things on name alone but only to a certain extent. If I had to give a random estimate, I would say that it’s about 20% coach and 80% school. That’s why I hate hearing about how great a guy like Kirby Smart is at recruiting. Gee, he recruited well at Alabama and UGA. How impressive. Send him to Illinois and see how he does.
Your percentages may be right. If you reversed them. These kids are 18 and buy into the coach who recruits them. We all would in the same circumstances. (I just read that Clemson picked off a 5-star late after he was assured Venables was going to stay as DC at Clemson and they had a stable coaching staff.) They will almost always say they chose "for the education" but if pressed could not name two majors. It is not to say schools shouldn't emphasize it. It is to say recruiting is coaches, support, budget, facilities ... and maybe the difference in Georgia and Alabama vs. Illinois is all of that. (A friend walked me through the new Clemson football building and I cannot imagine a recruit saying no to it.) But if it was to be primarily the school then school deans would be out there selling.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
took jobs at Kentucky (for the football coaches) and Mississippi State for Coach K. These guys are brand names in their sports..would they continue to recruit as they did at their former schools? Or not? interested in hearing your opinions as I am curious if it's the coach or the school that matters most in recruiting. As always, thanks for your replies.
Without a doubt their names would easily lend to upward or further upward trending in their respective school's recruiting and on the field successes. If they stayed long enough their schools would be top 5-10. Nintey-plus percent of these kids want to play ball and an education is way down on their list of priorities. The kids are mostly thinking they have a shot at the next level in their sport.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now, these guys are good coaches (I'm not saying otherwise) or they wouldn't have gotten where they are. But, they didn't win NC's or recruiting NC's at their previous stops and moved to higher ground for a reason.

vamos, the question I am pondering is could they go back to a "tier 2" school and compete for conference and national championships now that they are household names. Say after the playoffs that Saban announced that he was taking the job at Syracuse.
I suspect it would be easier for a coach K in basketball as there have been several little or lesser known schools become major players on the national scene (Butler and Gonzaga come to mind). Coach K might make Wichita State a consistent top 10 team in hoops but Dabo or Nick wouldn't do the same for the FB program.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Would Dabo be able to take the "culture of benefits" at Clemson to his new school?

Recruiters can recruit. Of the 6 players we signed yesterday with 5.6 or higher ratings on Rivals, McCollum recruited 5 of them. We need 10 recruiters, not 3 or 4. Saban et al would be able to recruit at other schools.

We would have been better off keeping Gailey as head coach for this reason, but forcing him to hire a quality offensive coordinator and forcing him to keep his hands off the offense---although that's probably not workable. We could have paid an OC $1 million/year and still come out ahead salary wise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With the exception of Dabo, all of those coaches were very successful head coaches at a lower level before moving up to their current jobs.

Saban was 9-2 at Toledo his very first year and tied for 1st in the conference. He moved to Michigan State after 1 season at Toledo.

Urban Meyer was HC at Toledo and Utah (when they were in the Mountain West) before moving on to Florida then OSU.

Coach K probably had the most questionable resume at the time as he moved up to Duke from Army after a losing season preceded by a mediocre season. That would not be possible in this day in age. He would be untouchable to P5 programs, but Duke at the time was not "Duke".

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
With the exception of Dabo, all of those coaches were very successful head coaches at a lower level before moving up to their current jobs.

Saban was 9-2 at Toledo his very first year and tied for 1st in the conference. He moved to Michigan State after 1 season at Toledo.

Urban Meyer was HC at Toledo and Utah (when they were in the Mountain West) before moving on to Florida then OSU.

Coach K probably had the most questionable resume at the time as he moved up to Duke from Army after a losing season preceded by a mediocre season. That would not be possible in this day in age. He would be untouchable to P5 programs, but Duke at the time was not "Duke".
Duke was in a spot after Bill Foster left to become head coach of South Carolina and probably had to hire someone who would take the job. Bill Foster did a very good job at Duke from 1974-1980 and had a 113-64 record and a Championship Game appearance against Kentucky in 1978.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That wasn’t peak Spurrier, though.

I'd argue it was pretty close. Spurrier had just won the SEC in 2000, spent two years in the NFL, where I really don't fault college coaches for not making that transition, and came to SC in 2005. He was less than a decade away from his MNC, and people were a little shocked he took the SC job instead of a bigger factory job. He did bump recruiting, but not enough to make a serious championship run.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'd argue it was pretty close. Spurrier had just won the SEC in 2000, spent two years in the NFL, where I really don't fault college coaches for not making that transition, and came to SC in 2005. He was less than a decade away from his MNC, and people were a little shocked he took the SC job instead of a bigger factory job. He did bump recruiting, but not enough to make a serious championship run.
SOS was getting older and didn't like to go talk to recruits and their families in their homes as much as he used to. Bear Bryant had the same problem from 1980-1982 when he just didn't want to go recruiting any more and left that to his coaching staff.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Ron Zook was a terrible coach/good recruiter. He pulled in top 30 classes at Illinois.
That is kinda proving my point though. Zook had two full classes at Florida ranked 2nd and 7th. He pulled in 5 five star players in 2003. At Illinois he had three top 30 classes and even got a couple of 5 star players but had an average ranking of 35th over 5 years. This isn't to say that 35th is bad at Illinois, it is pretty good but it is still light years away from what he was pulling in at Florida.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
That is kinda proving my point though. Zook had two full classes at Florida ranked 2nd and 7th. He pulled in 5 five star players in 2003. At Illinois he had three top 30 classes and even got a couple of 5 star players but had an average ranking of 35th over 5 years. This isn't to say that 35th is bad at Illinois, it is pretty good but it is still light years away from what he was pulling in at Florida.
I can't figure out why someone can't win at Illinois because there is a shytt load of high school football talent in the Illinois area.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

But Zook had also proven himself a bad coach. He clearly improved the recruiting. The fact that the guy who had the first website dedicated to his firing was able to pull in five stars to a historically abysmal program proves recruiters can recruit.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
It's pretty easy to answer this question, I think. Look at what these guys did at their previous stops. Saban recruited like crazy at LSU and Alabama, but not nearly as well at Mich St. Same for Urban ... not nearly as well at Utah. They are at places that have the "NETWORK" for recruiting, and money flowing out of their ears.

Now, these guys are good coaches (I'm not saying otherwise) or they wouldn't have gotten where they are. But, they didn't win NC's or recruiting NC's at their previous stops and moved to higher ground for a reason.
This.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

My Bowling Green State U wife is upset and enraged that arch enemy Toledo gets credit for Urban Meyer. She hates Toledo more than you folks hate Georgia. Shame.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Would Dabo be able to take the "culture of benefits" at Clemson to his new school?

Recruiters can recruit. Of the 6 players we signed yesterday with 5.6 or higher ratings on Rivals, McCollum recruited 5 of them. We need 10 recruiters, not 3 or 4. Saban et al would be able to recruit at other schools.

We would have been better off keeping Gailey as head coach for this reason, but forcing him to hire a quality offensive coordinator and forcing him to keep his hands off the offense---although that's probably not workable. We could have paid an OC $1 million/year and still come out ahead salary wise.
I think it fair to say Gailey had one really good recruiting year, and one of that class came to Tech because his friend was coming.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
With how the talent pool in Georgia has grown enormously since Gailey was here, does a coach like Dabo or Saban pull in top 20 classes here?
Coaching Georgia Tech or Clemson or Alabama? If Tech, no. That huge elephant consumes the room no matter who the coach is. (And those types aren't coming to Tech. Sorry, but would you?)