Let's say Dabo, Nick, Urban or Coach K...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
took jobs at Kentucky (for the football coaches) and Mississippi State for Coach K. These guys are brand names in their sports..would they continue to recruit as they did at their former schools? Or not? interested in hearing your opinions as I am curious if it's the coach or the school that matters most in recruiting. As always, thanks for your replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
took jobs at Kentucky (for the football coaches) and Mississippi State for Coach K. These guys are brand names in their sports..would they continue to recruit as they did at their former schools? Or not? interested in hearing your opinions as I am curious if it's the coach or the school that matters most in recruiting. As always, thanks for your replies.
I think the win ceiling at UK in the best of circumstances is 7-9 wins.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I think UK can be really good. This year they won 7, and they didn't beat anyone. With that schedule and Dabo, Nick, or Urban, you could win 10-12.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
True...but could Dabo, Nick or Urban entice them to come? In other words, does Kentucky stay Kentucky under these guys?
I think they would wind up getting frustrated and leaving like Bear Bryant did after the 1953 season did when he found out in no uncertain terms that all Kentucky cared about was men's basketball. Adolph Rupp won the NCAA Tournament and got a Cadillac while Bear Bryant beats #1 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and he gets an engraved silver lighter.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think they would wind up getting frustrated and leaving like Bear Bryant did after the 1953 season did when he found out in no uncertain terms that all Kentucky cared about was men's basketball. Adolph Rupp won the NCAA Tournament and got a Cadillac while Bear Bryant beats #1 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and he gets an engraved silver lighter.

Yep, for once the Bear found out he was not the king of the kingdom. There was only enough room in Kentucky for one king and that was the Baron.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think that question was somewhat answered when Spurrier went to USC(E). He took a perennial 6-7 win program to 10 wins and an SECCG appearance. He was able to impact the recruiting enough to make improvements, but not enough to get them consistently into the SECCG, and this came during a stretch when UT was down and UF and uga would hit in streaks. I think the aforementioned coaches would have the same effect in a similar situation. They would initially impact recruiting, and if they scheduled wisely, could win 10 games, but wouldn't draw enough talent to get them over the championship hump.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that question was somewhat answered when Spurrier went to USC(E). He took a perennial 6-7 win program to 10 wins and an SECCG appearance. He was able to impact the recruiting enough to make improvements, but not enough to get them consistently into the SECCG, and this came during a stretch when UT was down and UF and uga would hit in streaks. I think the aforementioned coaches would have the same effect in a similar situation. They would initially impact recruiting, and if they scheduled wisely, could win 10 games, but wouldn't draw enough talent to get them over the championship hump.

That wasn’t peak Spurrier, though.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yep, for once the Bear found out he was not the king of the kingdom. There was only enough room in Kentucky for one king and that was the Baron.
Kentucky pulled the rug out from under Bear Bryant by telling him he couldn't recruit in Pennsylvania anymore. Pennsylvania is where Bear Bryant did most of his recruiting and where he landed George Blanda,Babe Parilli and Bob Gain.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Why did they do that Mike?
Supposidly violations of NCAA rules that happened I believe in 1952. Bear Bryant got Texas A&M on a three year NCAA Probation concerning the recruiting of Heisman Trophy winner John David Crow and Texas A&M was only eligible for a Bowl Game one year that the Bear coached them and that was 1957. Texas A&M still recognizes the 9-0-1 1956 team as Southwest Conference Champions.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Mike, i think you are looking at this question abit too literally...maybe I should have said Purdue or Boston College. I get that FB will always be overshadowed by KY BB so consider the original question at either of these two places. Can in his prime Dabo leave CU and recruit at the same level given that he is estabilished as an elite coach?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mike, i think you are looking at this question abit too literally...maybe I should have said Purdue or Boston College. I get that FB will always be overshadowed by KY BB so consider the original question at either of these two places. Can in his prime Dabo leave CU and recruit at the same level given that he is estabilished as an elite coach?
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No, I don’t think they would even come close to the recruiting success they had at their previous school. They would improve things on name alone but only to a certain extent. If I had to give a random estimate, I would say that it’s about 20% coach and 80% school. That’s why I hate hearing about how great a guy like Kirby Smart is at recruiting. Gee, he recruited well at Alabama and UGA. How impressive. Send him to Illinois and see how he does.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UGA has always been top 10 recruiting ranks. Miami now in top 10 with ex UGA coach. Good coaching creates consistency over time. Ohio State has had good recruits but Meyer has added better coaching. Coach K would get top recruits any place he went. He is his own brand now. Look how UF has fallen without good coaching.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It's pretty easy to answer this question, I think. Look at what these guys did at their previous stops. Saban recruited like crazy at LSU and Alabama, but not nearly as well at Mich St. Same for Urban ... not nearly as well at Utah. They are at places that have the "NETWORK" for recruiting, and money flowing out of their ears.

Now, these guys are good coaches (I'm not saying otherwise) or they wouldn't have gotten where they are. But, they didn't win NC's or recruiting NC's at their previous stops and moved to higher ground for a reason.