Let's go about this different only positive things ( Why will Tech win 6 games or more next year)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Because TStan and CGC will read my post and hire a director of football engineering to coordinate teams of GT faculty, students, and alumni. You want to seriously limit having more people telling athletes what to do, but teams can develop analytics, technologies, and solutions that improve the program. People talk about Moneyball-type innovations in recruiting but there are other opportunities. Make in-game communications more effective. Make opponent prep more effective. Make halftime adjustments more effective. Make athlete assessment and development more effective.
I was hoping that w fewer defensive coaches we would stop sub ing the defense on almost every play. We fewer coaches maybe they could rest the players by series.
I think it may dawn on them that first we need to find some one that can play, before we run in a sub.
With fewer coaches maybe they can retire the effort meter. Our free safety gave great effort - it was presented as a good thing - but was he really way out of position?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims has to stay healthy.
New coaches in coastal install new systems that are not yet fully implemented.
New OC is really really good.
OL gets mean and nasty in the trenches.
DL is even meaner and nastier than the OL.
The safeties and corners know their assignments.
Thacker decides to leave and sell insurance.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Law of averages. The only break we got last year from the football gods was the throw and catch at the end of the Duke game. All the other normal breaks went to our opponents. With a few breaks and slightly better play we can win 6 because a lot of our opponents are as inept as we have shown to be. We’ll know by the end of the Clemson game if the defense improved or not. They have a stud QB coming in so we’ll have a decent gauge to see if coverages are still busted.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sims will be in his 3rd year, which is when Hamilton took off
I keep hearing this, but when you look at the stats it doesn't check out. Hamilton's rating as a Soph was actually better than his rating as a Junior. We were better as a team in '98, but that also had to do with our defense scoring 11 TD's

1640876491048.png

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 6 wins is doable but we will have to beat 2 of our out of Conference appointees. Western Carolina should be a win (I know...Citadel and Northern Illinois), and then we need to grab one from either Central Florida or Ole Miss (will not be easy). I just don't see beating UGA is in the cards right now. 4 conference wins come from Duke, Virginia, and 2 others. Miami and Clemson are other 2 homes games (Clemson at MB). Pittsburgh, NC, VT and FSU are all on the road. My guess is we will be underdogs to the other 6 teams so we need to someway grab 2 wins from that group. Pittsburgh, VA and UNC are losing veteran QBs so maybe that helps.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Going through this systematically:

What I think gets better:

🗺 Offensive Scheme and continuity of play -
CCL seems to run similar packages on O with some similar reads but is a more proven P5 coach and has had success other places. I think our roster is fine, and certainly capable of winning 6+ given the schedule we face. I also have thrown a penny into every wishing well I know of that we’ll start calling better progressions of plays on O and return to setting up things and probing for weaknesses as opposed to our propensity last few years of calling vanilla sets seemingly based on 90% what we want to do and 10% or less what the D shows us. Improved Zone Reads should improve mucho here and help a great deal.

🔑 Offensive Line - CBK either is a fraud or he isn’t, this is the last year he has a chance to show he isn’t without needing some serious rehabilitation of his image. So you know he’ll be bought in. I personally don’t believe Saban hires and retains duds, period, so that alone gives me confidence. If our guys stay healthy (see S&C) we should be better here too. An improvement up front gives the O pluses across the board so this one is, if you’ll indulge me, Key to our development and improvement this year.

🔚 Tight Ends - I like the Syracuse transfer, I like the stuff CCL has previously run for this position and we almost never targeted them under CDP, so think this is an obvious upgrade area to focus on. Plus our RB pass Pro was fair to decent under CTC and getting better coverage skills from the TEs helps shore up weakness on the line. If we can get these guys leaking out for short to midrange passes it also opens up our running game for Sims to keep and go or feed our RB room.

🤖 Sims - I didn’t like hearing that JS kept needing to be told where to go with the football on pressers early on (young guys need coaching but I thought it showed CDP wasn’t developing him in a way that worked for him). A lot of the INTs this year were, imho, equally caused by bad line play or dumb bad luck but he can and should be better with the football this year. I am too much of an optimist to spend the offseason worrying he stays the same or regresses. Let’s just leave this as an improvement area.

👷🏿‍♂️ Defensive Line and Pressure from up front - I believe in CMC and it is finally time for some of those war daddies we picked up the last few cycles to land themselves in our hearts and our opponents’ minds. We need better contain and pressure from the front set and I think we will get it.

👀 Better Secondary Play - just coach our guys (and enforce that they do) to turn their head towards the ball and our secondary improves over night. Fixing the split coaching duties on the back end should help too. I just don’t believe we won’t be better back there, given the middling results we have previously had under this staff. New blood brings new expectations and hopefully improvement here.

Where we stay the same:

🏃 Running Backs - losing Gibbs sucks, but we didn’t really seem to scheme him into advantageous positions often last year so while we surely would be a better team this year with him than we are without him, I still think our production at this position can improve this year as a unit. 169 ypg off of 4.6 ypa, put us in the middle of the pack in conference last year (8th) so we should be able to at least hold our ground here (yeah I meant to do that one too).

🏋 I think I still like CLC? - he certainly did a lot of cool innovative stuff to keep our guys gaining during the Covid season, but I don’t know enough about S&C to have an opinion here other than we still seem to get pushed around up front and get injured often. Don’t know if it is fair to lay that at the S&C staff’s feet but I’m saying this is a push too. Nothing seems to have changed and I don’t suspect we’ll see much different here next year.

🚰 The kitchen sink and the rest - I just don’t think we did anything well enough or lost anyone important enough to think we will be worse in any other measurable area of our game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

CCL seems to run similar packages on O with some similar reads but is a more proven P5 coach and has had success other places. I think our roster is fine, and certainly capable of winning 6+ given the schedule we face. I also have thrown a penny into every wishing well I know of that we’ll start calling better progressions of plays on O and return to setting up things and probing for weaknesses as opposed to our propensity last few years of calling vanilla sets seemingly based on 90% what we want to do and 10% or less what the D shows us. Improved Zone Reads should improve mucho here and help a great deal.

🔑 Offensive Line - CBK either is a fraud or he isn’t, this is the last year he has a chance to show he isn’t without needing some serious rehabilitation of his image. So you know he’ll be bought in. I personally don’t believe Saban hires and retains duds, period, so that alone gives me confidence. If our guys stay healthy (see S&C) we should be better here too. An improvement up front gives the O pluses across the board so this one is, if you’ll indulge me, Key to our development and improvement this year.

🔚 Tight Ends - I like the Syracuse transfer, I like the stuff CCL has previously run for this position and we almost never targeted them under CDP, so think this is an obvious upgrade area to focus on. Plus our RB pass Pro was fair to decent under CTC and getting better coverage skills from the TEs helps shore up weakness on the line. If we can get these guys leaking out for short to midrange passes it also opens up our running game for Sims to keep and go or feed our RB room.

🤖 Sims - I didn’t like hearing that JS kept needing to be told where to go with the football on pressers early on (young guys need coaching but I thought it showed CDP wasn’t developing him in a way that worked for him). A lot of the INTs this year were, imho, equally caused by bad line play or dumb bad luck but he can and should be better with the football this year. I am too much of an optimist to spend the offseason worrying he stays the same or regresses. Let’s just leave this as an improvement area.

👷🏿‍♂️ Defensive Line and Pressure from up front - I believe in CMC and it is finally time for some of those war daddies we picked up the last few cycles to land themselves in our hearts and our opponents’ minds. We need better contain and pressure from the front set and I think we will get it.

👀 Better Secondary Play - just coach our guys (and enforce that they do) to turn their head towards the ball and our secondary improves over night. Fixing the split coaching duties on the back end should help too. I just don’t believe we won’t be better back there, given the middling results we have previously had under this staff. New blood brings new expectations and hopefully improvement here.

Where we stay the same:

🏃 Running Backs - losing Gibbs sucks, but we didn’t really seem to scheme him into advantageous positions often last year so while we surely would be a better team this year with him than we are without him, I still think our production at this position can improve this year as a unit. 169 ypg off of 4.6 ypa, put us in the middle of the pack in conference last year (8th) so we should be able to at least hold our ground here (yeah I meant to do that one too).

🏋 I think I still like CLC? - he certainly did a lot of cool innovative stuff to keep our guys gaining during the Covid season, but I don’t know enough about S&C to have an opinion here other than we still seem to get pushed around up front and get injured often. Don’t know if it is fair to lay that at the S&C staff’s feet but I’m saying this is a push too. Nothing seems to have changed and I don’t suspect we’ll see much different here next year.

🚰 The kitchen sink and the rest - I just don’t think we did anything well enough or lost anyone important enough to think we will be worse in any other measurable area of our game.
Very well thought out

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now lets the positive fans be the only ones no negative post on here we have other places for them

I want to hear why you are positive that with CGC we will turn it around next year and win 6 or more games.

If one of the answers is because Coastal will be so bad next year and the ACC as a whole will be the worse it's been since we joined the ACC I could buy that reason.
If Collins turns it around next year it will be because he is looking for a cliff.

I disagree on the strength of the ACC in 2022. Miami, FSU, Virginia, and UNC will be better; Wake Forest and NC State seem to have found their balance -- even if the NC State coach cannot become jerk free, and that pretty much leaves us to justify your observation. Clemson will be Clemson -- Venables bequeathed them a terrific defense, and if the Texas 5-star QB is as good as advertised, a NC run might be in the offing.( And yes, State really got the shaft from UCLA, an immodest group with much to be immodest about.) If on the other hand they are stuck with what they have, then we are due 12 repeats if the Iowa State game: an offense that is mostly about asking the defense to hold 'em.

Snarkiness aside, I think the ACC will be good in 2022. I wish we would participate.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

Where we stay the same:

This is just flat-out an excellent post. That is all.