Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys may need to take a deep breath and come to the realization that we probably are not going to fire CPJ regardless of the outcome. I've posted this in the other thread already, but we flat out don't have the money for the buyout. TStan is trying very hard to dig us out of the hole that our previous three AD's put us in with the Hewitt and Gregory scenarios, and shelling out 2-3 million to drop CPJ and then pay another coach (probably more than we're paying CPJ today) is not going to move us any closer to that goal...in fact it would probably dig the program into an even deeper hole.

Like it or not (and right now I'm in the don't like it camp), we are going to have to gut it out with him for another few years until we are more financially stable. The only hope is if the big money guys decide to pool some money and just pay him off in a lump sum...but that would be a surprise IMO

I don't think CPJ will get fired for the same reasons. I think TStan has probably painted his picture to the big money guys, described the issue of legacy costs, and removed the uncertainty of coaching from the equation. My guess is that he is also looking at what coaches might be available in 2-3 years and planning accordingly.

Still, we have 25,000 season ticket holders. A $5 price increase on tix would generate 875K, easily enough to finance a replacement. But I don't think we will. I think CPJ is there until he retires and TStan builds his new offices.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ will get fired for the same reasons. I think TStan has probably painted his picture to the big money guys, described the issue of legacy costs, and removed the uncertainty of coaching from the equation. My guess is that he is also looking at what coaches might be available in 2-3 years and planning accordingly.

Still, we have 25,000 season ticket holders. A $5 price increase on tix would generate 875K, easily enough to finance a replacement. But I don't think we will. I think CPJ is there until he retires and TStan builds his new offices.
It's going to be a bad situation if BDS is pretty much empty for every home game in 2019. Which i think will be very possible if Paul Johnson returns in in 2019. It's going to be like when Derek Dookley coached Tennessee in 2012 and 50,000 people showed up for homecoming in a stadium that seats 102,000.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be a bad situation if BDS is pretty much empty for every home game in 2019. Which i think will be very possible if Paul Johnson returns in in 2019. It's going to be like when Derek Dookley coached Tennessee in 2012 and 50,000 people showed up for homecoming in a stadium that seats 102,000.

I don't disagree. Very similar. And I expect BDS to lose even more STH's. In my row, several have already said they're not renewing. One has been attending games at BDS since 1964. He said he's had enough. Sad.

I'm somewhat optimistic. But TStan better get a move on ... before he loses a generation of fans.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree. Very similar. And I expect BDS to lose even more STH's. In my row, several have already said they're not renewing. One has been attending games at BDS since 1964. He said he's had enough. Sad.

I'm somewhat optimistic. But TStan better get a move on ... before he loses a generation of fans.
I hope TStan has a list of coaches to interview when the time comes to hire a new head coach. I have a feeling he knows what he's doing.

Funny, I wonder if your row mate was going to quit attending after 2 years of Bobby Ross, 3 years of Bill Lewis, the first 3 years of O'Leary. I could even go back. If a Tech fan said this, then they aren't a Tech fan and no nothing about Tech Football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Funny, I wonder if your row mate was going to quit attending after 2 years of Bobby Ross, 3 years of Bill Lewis, the first 3 years of O'Leary. I could even go back. If a Tech fan said this, then they aren't a Tech fan and no nothing about Tech Football.

You might want to do some math there. The man is 75 and has attended games for 53 years. He was there for Dodd. And Carson. And Fulcher. And Rogers. And Curry. And Ross. And Lewis. And O'Leary. And Gailey. And Johnson. I think he's demonstrated his commitment.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
You might want to do some math there. The man is 75 and has attended games for 53 years. He was there for Dodd. And Carson. And Fulcher. And Rogers. And Curry. And Ross. And Lewis. And O'Leary. And Gailey. And Johnson. I think he's demonstrated his commitment.

75 was about the age my dad quit going to games. He cited the traffic, parking, energy it took, etc. So that definitely plays into it for older adults.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
75 was about the age my dad quit going to games. He cited the traffic, parking, energy it took, etc. So that definitely plays into it for older adults.
Anyone tried to go up those steps in upper west. Very steep and no hand rails. I can see some older fans not coming especially with so many games on tv and there is a negativity with the current situation that I haven't seen since BL days. GOL was really good at being visible on campus. I went to some of his weekly chalk talks with students. We need some of that now.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Anyone tried to go up those steps in upper west. Very steep and no hand rails. I can see some older fans not coming especially with so many games on tv and there is a negativity with the current situation that I haven't seen since BL days. GOL was really good at being visible on campus. I went to some of his weekly chalk talks with students. We need some of that now.
I quit going to games because i have very bad knees and poor eyesight:shy::(