Let’s talk...IMO this needs to happen...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you have talked to any of the big money donors. But love your enthusiasm.

It has nothing to do with enthusiasm. I am not an emotional type person. I simply look at facts. TStan and those pulling the strings did not hire an option guy, hence they chose to tear the roster down before they hired Collins. Then they hired a guy with a proven track record in the ACC and SEC who is up and coming. Collins was not going to be at Temple much longer as the SEC would have brought him back. Then, they give him a 7 year contract. Why? Because our AD and those pulling the strings knew we were going to suffer in the short term and that it really takes 3-5 years to upgrade the 85 talent. And the progress Collins has already made on that front is outstanding. We are looking at a top 30 class (maybe top 25) in year 1. That is outstanding. In future years the classes will be ranked higher. For all the dislike of Collins over his linguistics, the fact is that 15-18 year olds love it and are buying it. Once we start winning Bobby Dodd will fill up and the classes will get better. By 2022, whatever shine is left on Kirby will be long gone and I believe GT will become a consistent top 25 team. I’m in South Georgia and there has been more talk of GT the past 9 months than the previous years combined. And the win/loss record means nothing right now to players. I know several families at Lee, Colquitt, and Lowndes county high schools and GT has become a real option under our new leadership. Way down here, the love for Kirby is waning.

Animal02

Banned
Collins isn’t going any where. This plan was set forth during the hiring process. The AD, big money donors, and Collins are all on the same train. Comparing FSU to GT is funny. All that matters is recruiting. We could go 4-20 in 2019 and 2020 and nothing would change nor should it. If the big money donors wanted to win 7 games in 2019 and 2020 we would have hired Monken. The decision has been made to go big bounty hunting and Collins is the guy. He got the High School Player of the year to come to GT in his first few weeks. He’s going to bring in recruits whether we win now or not. I loved that Coach Johnson stuck to his plan of action and didn’t get distracted and I know Collins won’t waiver in his path. The stadium will be full come 2022. It’s gonna take 3 seasons to get in the proper players.
If you really think a head coach in today's college environment can be retained after a 10-26 record, well, that speaks for itself.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
He got the High School Player of the year to come to GT in his first few weeks. He’s going to bring in recruits whether we win now or not.
Here's where I think the optimism needs to meet reality. Yes, he got the HSPoY within a few weeks. But then you know what has happened since? GT actually began playing games and losing is a big deterrent. I do not think he will be able to recruit when, in addition to charisma and hype and promises of change, you have to address and speak to the performances on the field.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's where I think the optimism needs to meet reality. Yes, he got the HSPoY within a few weeks. But then you know what has happened since? GT actually began playing games and losing is a big deterrent. I do not think he will be able to recruit as effectively when, in addition to charisma and hype and promises of change, you have to address and speak to the performances on the field.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Here's where I think the optimism needs to meet reality. Yes, he got the HSPoY within a few weeks. But then you know what has happened since? GT actually began playing games and losing is a big deterrent. I do not think he will be able to recruit when, in addition to charisma and hype and promises of change, you have to address and speak to the performances on the field.

We have continued to get commitments from high level players since the season started and things are picking up even more now. Losing is only a deterrent to recruits if you were expected to win in the first place. A couple of years from now? Sure, gotta have the wins.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

This is simply wrong. Wins and losses don’t count at the on set. I actually talk to kids on big time teams, Lowndes, Colquitt, Lee, etc as I have roots in that corridor. Playing time and perceptions are what count. Right now Collins is in a great position for recruiting over the next 3 years because 1) GT booted a system that no high end players wanted to play in, 2) Kirby is turning into Richt with a choke a year and players see that and 3) Collins is seen as cool and up and coming. I know several Lee County players who laughed when I’d bring up Tech in the past now they are making official visits. Now, if we go 3-8 in year 8 like Johnson did then we’d have a problem. It doesn’t surprise me that after that 2015 debacle that our roster became depleted. It’s one thing to lose early while establishing a program but you can’t be doing that in year 8.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is simply wrong. Wins and losses don’t count at the on set. I actually talk to kids on big time teams, Lowndes, Colquitt, Lee, etc as I have roots in that corridor. Playing time and perceptions are what count. Right now Collins is in a great position for recruiting over the next 3 years because 1) GT booted a system that no high end players wanted to play in, 2) Kirby is turning into Richt with a choke a year and players see that and 3) Collins is seen as cool and up and coming. I know several Lee County players who laughed when I’d bring up Tech in the past now they are making official visits. Now, if we go 3-8 in year 8 like Johnson did then we’d have a problem. It doesn’t surprise me that after that 2015 debacle that our roster became depleted. It’s one thing to lose early while establishing a program but you can’t be doing that in year 8.
You are contradicting yourself ,you said kids don't care about wins , but then say Kirby is seen like Richt and is seem as a choke.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
You are contradicting yourself ,you said kids don't care about wins , but then say Kirby is seen like Richt and is seem as a choke.
Right? As if a kid is going to look at ONE choke game a season and say wow that's as bad or as bad as winning 2 games a season, losing to a FCS, etc. I'll go with the "cool" coach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Right? As if a kid is going to look at ONE choke game a season and say wow that's as bad or as bad as winning 2 games a season, losing to a FCS, etc. I'll go with the "cool" coach.

Kirby is in his 4th year, big difference. Nobody cared that they took a step back in his first year. Now, they are at a point where anything less than the playoffs is a disappointment. Nothing was expected out of us this year by anyone except us. Our sales pitch is a vision for the future. When we start winning, we will sell wins.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. I wasn’t contradicting myself in the least. Right now, the perception of UGA and Smart is that they can’t win the big one and the shine is off as he is in year 4. No one cares that they beat 9 weaklings. They are the big boy on the block who should win 9 games rather easily. Seriously, do you think any recruit is fired up that UGA is about to beat Missouri? GT is losing right now but it’s year 1 and those families who are leery of UGA now have an alternative. Most of these recruits aren’t football dumb. And the majority of studs will take the offers from UGA as it’s the easier road. But there are so many players in this state and UGA can only take 25 or so a year. That leaves a lot of good players still looking for a home and the stuff Collins is selling is getting thru. That South Carolina loss hurt UGA way more than all our losses combined hurt us because of where the programs are. If we lose to Citadel in year 3 and beyond then I’d agree we’d be in trouble. But that loss is long forgotten.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
No one cares that they beat 9 weaklings.
UGA has wins against the (currently) #15 and #10 teams... the other teams are not so impressive. Also, losing to USCe is a bad loss. I have not really noticed calls for Kirby's job however.
Seriously, do you think any recruit is fired up that UGA is about to beat Missouri?
Yes? Because in doing so UGA is continuing on the way to winning the East and facing either LSU or Bama in MBS. And in beating Missouri they are continuing on the path to a good case in the CFP.
So YES winning ANY game is appealing to recruits.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well I see a bunch of 4 and 5 star players that must not care if he choked. But I like our commitments we have to find the ones who want to start now. And are willing to do the work to be successful in football and school. Those players are not easy to find.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the staff would prefer that we start Tucker Gleason over starting a grad transfer QB. I said this in Gleason's recruiting thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if he enrolls early and works his way to being the starter. He's got a similar skillset to Yates, but he's 2-3 inches taller and 10-20 pounds heavier. It's not uncommon nowadays for freshman to come in and take over a program, you've got Howell (UNC), Nix (Auburn), Hilinski (USCe), Bachmeier (Boise State), and Daniels (Arizona State) just this season alone. The staff is obviously very high on him considering they took him as our first commit and haven't eyed any other QB recruits since that point. Gleason also has reported offers from UGA, VT, WVU, UNC, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Kentucky, Illinois, and Duke. It's hard to believe, but none of our QBs on the current roster (even Yates) had reported QB offers at another P5 program. Honestly though, I'm hoping Gleason doesn't win the job. I hope that he comes in this Spring, pushes the hell out of the QBs already on the roster, and one of Graham or Yates emerges as starter so we can redshirt Gleason.
Has Gleason had a good year ?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You sorta conveniently on purpose left how out 2014 happened---without CCGs recruits and with an Orange Bowl win over CGCs D and the current Dallas Cowboys QB. A LOT of teams regress after losing a QB like JT. However, I agree with almost all of your post. 2021 will determine our future in a big big manner. After 4 years experience as a HC, it's typical that they deliver or pack up (yes, even under these circumstances). Come 2021, our current Fr/So players will have had 2 full seasons with this staff, along with 5-6 Springs and 5-6 Fall camps. That's enough to know what our ceiling is, even if takes until
2022 to fully demonstrate it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You sorta conveniently on purpose left how out 2014 happened---without CCGs recruits and with an Orange Bowl win over CGCs D and the current Dallas Cowboys QB. A LOT of teams regress after losing a QB like JT. However, I agree with almost all of your post. 2021 will determine our future in a big big manner. After 4 years experience as a HC, it's typical that they deliver or pack up (yes, even under these circumstances). Come 2021, our current Fr/So players will have had 2 full seasons with this staff, along with 5-6 Springs and 5-6 Fall camps. That's enough to know what our ceiling is, even if takes until
2022 to fully demonstrate it.

I didn’t conveniently forget 2014. It was a great year and in year 7 of a program with a legit coach that is the positive results that should happen. But no one can argue that the lack of recruiting is what caused us going from the Orange bowl to a 3 win (1 ACC win) season. That should never happen in year 8. The depth should be there to replace key players. If it isn’t that’s poor roster management and it’s been like that since 2015. I love Paul Johnson and still believe in his system, but quite honestly the recruits left him high and dry because of the negative recruiting that took hold. And he never addressed it.

As for UGA, the entire country knows they choke and that mantra is taking hold. They could always turn it around like Dabo did by winning it, but until they do most of the country sees them as a factory that gets kids into the NFL but doesn’t do too much why they have them. They are the Mathew Stafford of college ball, great numbers, big contracts, and nothing to show for it. No one cares that they will make it to another SEC Champ game and get beat by Bama because that is the norm. And if Fromm leaves early it will be at least year 7 until Kirby has another shot and that’s only if Mullen can’t find a QB. Thank God for Tua and his beautiful arm.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Has Gleason had a good year ?
Not really, but his team is in a similar situation to 2015 GT: skilled QB surrounded by inexperienced teammates. Statistically, compare his Junior year to Senior year.
Junior (13 games): 134/226 (59.3%) for 2001 yards passing (14.9 yards per completion) and 122 carries for 1029 yards (9 yards per carry). 27 passing touchdowns, 13 rushing touchdowns. 9 interceptions.

Senior (10 games): 91/165 (55.2%) for 1020 yards passing (11.2 yards per completion) and 90 carries for 719 yards (8 yards per carry). 6 passing touchdowns, 11 rushing touchdowns, 8 interceptions.

First off, it should be noted his passing attempts per game and rushing attempts per game didn't really change between the two years, so the gameplan was similar. It seems like there was virtually no dropoff as a runner with similar yards/carry and rushing TDs, so with the ball entirely in his hands he's effective. Here's what sticks out to me: the crazy drop in passing touchdowns and passing yardage, but with a similar completion rate and number of interceptions. About the same number of completions per game, but he passed for 33% fewer yards per game this season compared to last year. His longest pass this year was 49 yards compared to 80 yards last year. This seems like the OL was breaking down quickly not allowing his receivers to get open, so he was forced to throw a lot of shorter passes that got swallowed up. Someone mentioned that if you watch his highlight tape, his OL can be seen to be constantly changing throughout the season as staff were desperately trying to find what combination would not get him killed. He's got the same great throwing mechanics, but I think the pieces around him aren't what they were last year.

For what it's worth, the first 6 teams they played are all powerhouses and have a collective record of 49-9 (four 1-loss teams). Those teams crushed many QBs. Plant then went on a 4 game winning streak against weaker competition, outscored those opponents 164-20, and are headed to playoffs apparently. So, against the most elite competition the team has sucked, but against middling and weak teams they've dominated. Obviously not the lights out season we all expected, but the fact that all QB recruiting was shut down after Gleason committed means that the poor stats don't scare the staff. They know what they've got in Gleason.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It has nothing to do with enthusiasm. I am not an emotional type person. I simply look at facts. TStan and those pulling the strings did not hire an option guy, hence they chose to tear the roster down before they hired Collins. Then they hired a guy with a proven track record in the ACC and SEC who is up and coming. Collins was not going to be at Temple much longer as the SEC would have brought him back. Then, they give him a 7 year contract. Why? Because our AD and those pulling the strings knew we were going to suffer in the short term and that it really takes 3-5 years to upgrade the 85 talent. And the progress Collins has already made on that front is outstanding. We are looking at a top 30 class (maybe top 25) in year 1. That is outstanding. In future years the classes will be ranked higher. For all the dislike of Collins over his linguistics, the fact is that 15-18 year olds love it and are buying it. Once we start winning Bobby Dodd will fill up and the classes will get better. By 2022, whatever shine is left on Kirby will be long gone and I believe GT will become a consistent top 25 team. I’m in South Georgia and there has been more talk of GT the past 9 months than the previous years combined. And the win/loss record means nothing right now to players. I know several families at Lee, Colquitt, and Lowndes county high schools and GT has become a real option under our new leadership. Way down here, the love for Kirby is waning.

Kirby is a egotistical maniac. I can’t wait for Bulldog Nation to sever his testicles and give them back to him as a Christmas present.

BDS will hardly ever fill up. The ACC just doesn’t draw. You want sellouts? Schedule Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama and Notre Dame.