Let’s talk...IMO this needs to happen...

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Realistically I don't see Gatewood or any high level QB transfer choosing to come here right now. If we can get him, sure, but it would be a waste to just bring in a body.

LJ (who looked markedly better last game til the fumble), Graham (who looked horrible, but is just a FR), Yates on year 2, and hopefully Gleason is enough. Let the cream rise to the top.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
College OCs and QBs dream of seeing the coverages other teams are giving us. We need to make them pay or defenses will continue to load the box and take away our run game challenging us to beat with the passing game.

Where have we heard this before? ;)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes try and put myself in other peoples shoes, if I were a descent grad transfer QB I would not want to come be the QB at GT behind our OL situation. I'm guessing that is what CGC and company realized earlier this year when looking at the idea of grad transfer for QB.
I see people talking about our current OL talent without addressing the thought that very few of our OL players are of the right physical makeup for what we need and therefore possibly will never do well in our type offense. Two that came from other places that ran similar offenses were backups at the other places.
It appears to me that we are going to just have to do what we are being forced to do, be patient and just wait, get into and enjoy recruiting which is what I've been saying since the day CGC walked on campus.
Somewhat this spring and certainly beginning late summer '20 we get to watch new kids start working their way into playing. I just think that's where we are and it ain't changing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes try and put myself in other peoples shoes, if I were a descent grad transfer QB I would not want to come be the QB at GT behind our OL situation. I'm guessing that is what CGC and company realized earlier this year when looking at the idea of grad transfer for QB.
I see people talking about our current OL talent without addressing the thought that very few of our OL players are of the right physical makeup for what we need and therefore possibly will never do well in our type offense. Two that came from other places that ran similar offenses were backups at the other places.
It appears to me that we are going to just have to do what we are being forced to do, be patient and just wait, get into and enjoy recruiting which is what I've been saying since the day CGC walked on campus.
Somewhat this spring and certainly beginning late summer '20 we get to watch new kids start working their way into playing. I just think that's where we are and it ain't changing.

The last time we had this much attrition and inexperience along the OL was 2015. It did not end well.

Not only are we dealing with attrition and inexperience, but we're also dealing with different blocking schemes and styles, and a completely different offense. Even when the freshmen come next season, they're still freshmen. If we're lucky, half of them will be ready to contribute at a P5 level. More likely than not, we're going to take our lumps on the OL again.

We're in the sausage making process and it's not looking appetizing right now...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The last time we had this much attrition and inexperience along the OL was 2015. It did not end well.

Not only are we dealing with attrition and inexperience, but we're also dealing with different blocking schemes and styles, and a completely different offense. Even when the freshmen come next season, they're still freshmen. If we're lucky, half of them will be ready to contribute at a P5 level. More likely than not, we're going to take our lumps on the OL again.

We're in the sausage making process and it's not looking appetizing right now...
Maybe we just need to simplify things . :) could not pass it up after what you said.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. This is a process set forth by our AD and Head Coach during the hiring process. This is not about wins/losses for 2019 or 2020. This is about starting a program with deep recruiting roots in the state of Georgia and the metro area in particular. It takes time for roots to grow deep. Right now, GT fans who are worried about individual plays or games don’t realize what is going on behind the scenes. We are a sapling whipping in the wind and unfortunately many in our fan base are creating the winds. Much like GT gave Gailey many years to get his system in place and GT gave Johnson 11 years to run his system, Our AD will give Collins years to get the program going. No one disputes that Collins can recruit just like no one can dispute that Johnson could run the option. Collins has earned the right thru his career progression just like Johnson had earned the right thru his career progression. That’s why GT hired them both. I think both were fantastic hires. Come 2022 when we are winning the Coastal everyone will be happy.

That all sounds well and good until you go 4-20 in your first two years and the big-money donors, who are at an age when they don't want to wait half a decade for results, start screaming for blood.. At that point we might be looking at both a new coach and a new AD...
If CGC is not capable of installing his system and his culture while simultaneously winning a reasonable number of games... well let's just say that it won't be pretty...

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
That all sounds well and good until you go 4-20 in your first two years and the big-money donors, who are at an age when they don't want to wait half a decade for results, start screaming for blood.. At that point we might be looking at both a new coach and a new AD...
If CGC is not capable of installing his system and his culture while simultaneously winning a reasonable number of games... well let's just say that it won't be pretty...

And that's why he got a 7 year contract. Everyone in power agrees that it will take a few years.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
And that's why he got a 7 year contract. Everyone in power agrees that it will take a few years.

I get the intent of the contract, but if we are still floor sweepings after CGCs 2nd season (which if you take a close look at the schedule is extremely likely), then there will be talk as to whether CGC was the right man for the job. And depending on how deep the pocketbooks are of those people talking, then it could get dicey...
Over the next 1 1/2 seasons CGC has to show progress in games. It is all well and good to say we are practicing better, but that has not yet translated to games. He has to get Tech to be a middle of the road team and have 1-2 signature wins in order to earn him enough time to complete his process

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I get the intent of the contract, but if we are still floor sweepings after CGCs 2nd season (which if you take a close look at the schedule is extremely likely), then there will be talk as to whether CGC was the right man for the job. And depending on how deep the pocketbooks are of those people talking, then it could get dicey...
Over the next 1 1/2 seasons CGC has to show progress in games. It is all well and good to say we are practicing better, but that has not yet translated to games. He has to get Tech to be a middle of the road team and have 1-2 signature wins in order to earn him enough time to complete his process

Next year is still too soon draw definite conclusions, and the power players are smart enough to realize that. As you pointed out, everyone realizes we have a difficult schedule next year, so they already have that built into their expectations. They also realize the roster managment cannot be achieved in a short time frame.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Is there anything behind this except speculation?

The big money donors are probably those that influenced the AD to go in the direction he did which is decidedly in the opposite direction of results now.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

The big money donors are probably those that influenced the AD to go in the direction he did which is decidedly in the opposite direction of results now.
Pure speculation... I'm not plugged in at all...

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Next year is still too soon draw definite conclusions, and the power players are smart enough to realize that. As you pointed out, everyone realizes we have a difficult schedule next year, so they already have that built into their expectations. They also realize the roster managment cannot be achieved in a short time frame.

If we go 4-8 this year and 4-8 next year, then I think you are right... While not what anyone is hoping for, that is more than enough evidence to support additional time... If we go 2-10 this year and 2-10 next year, then I think the grumbling begins...

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
If we go 4-8 this year and 4-8 next year, then I think you are right... While not what anyone is hoping for, that is more than enough evidence to support additional time... If we go 2-10 this year and 2-10 next year, then I think the grumbling begins...

Yea we'll need to be moving in the right direction in 2021 regardless of this year and next.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I really doubt we go 2-10 next year. We get nearly everybody back and they're all going to be a year older and more experienced. The OL will get help and although they will be freshmen I'm betting a couple of them will be ready to step in and help us out. The system won't be new anymore to start the year. The defense is already coming around. Even though we have a couple of games on the schedule that will be tougher, there's little reason to think we're going to have a season as tough as this one has been. We may not go bowling, but there are plenty of reasons to think we'll be competitive, IMO. We'll be better next year and still better the year after that, I would wager. I know we have nowhere to go but up, but I believe we're going there.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I've heard this a lot and I don't buy it. If Paul had decided to stick around, he'd have gotten the support he needed. TStan would have seen to that; he had an interest in seeing a winning program and knew it would take more money.

Further, ADs don't go to the big donors (hereinafter BGs) before they make a selection after a resignation or firing; they go to the BGs after they make the hire. It's a matter of getting approval, not of deciding who to hire. Needless to say, ADs normally try to make their choice compatible with what they think the BGs want, but that usually boils down to wins for both so there usually isn't much leeway between them. This can lead to some really bad circumstances; Bill Lewis was the ADs choice and the BGs liked him a lot. The rest is history.

I do agree that we need to show more progress then we have so far. If the program goes 4 - 20 in the next two years, I doubt seriously if either Collins or TStan can remain unless there is a serious upturn in 2022. Lewis was fired during his third season and the same thing could happen if things don't get appreciably better. As was said above, a couple of signature wins would sure help.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I really doubt we go 2-10 next year. We get nearly everybody back and they're all going to be a year older and more experienced. The OL will get help and although they will be freshmen I'm betting a couple of them will be ready to step in and help us out. The system won't be new anymore to start the year. The defense is already coming around. Even though we have a couple of games on the schedule that will be tougher, there's little reason to think we're going to have a season as tough as this one has been. We may not go bowling, but there are plenty of reasons to think we'll be competitive, IMO. We'll be better next year and still better the year after that, I would wager. I know we have nowhere to go but up, but I believe we're going there.
Have you seen the schedule? I thought we were a long shot to go bowling before CPJ announced his retirement. I assume we will beat our FCS opponent next year.

We then would need two more wins out of: UCF, Notre Dame, UGA, Syracuse, Clemson, the coastal. If we make some incredible strides and qb and OL, I guess 4 is our top side, but I find it hard to believe (and like I said, I'd have expected CPJ to go 5-7 6-6 with this schedule so I'm not trying to diss any coach here).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen the schedule? I thought we were a long shot to go bowling before CPJ announced his retirement. I assume we will beat our FCS opponent next year.

We then would need two more wins out of: UCF, Notre Dame, UGA, Syracuse, Clemson, the coastal. If we make some incredible strides and qb and OL, I guess 4 is our top side, but I find it hard to believe (and like I said, I'd have expected CPJ to go 5-7 6-6 with this schedule so I'm not trying to diss any coach here).

It's a tough schedule overall, but Syracuse is winless in the ACC and we have 6 games against the Coastal plus Gardner-Webb. That gives us at least 8 winnable games, even if you discount our chances against UCF. Out of those I could see us cobbling together 5 wins.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pure speculation... I'm not plugged in at all...

Then I would assume that you are not correct in your speculation then.

Everything about this hire was geared towards the long term at the expense of the short term. The main selling point of Collins was the hope for better recruiting. The staff was put together with that in mind, and the contract depicts it. That approach to a coaching hiring doesn't come unless the AD has a finger on the pulse of the big money donors already and this was the opposite of a hire made with demands of winning now. The biggest results this year are on the recruiting trail, not on the field. If the current class finishes top 25 (where it is now) and next year follows suit then I doubt anyone with much influence will be stirring things up. It'd be doing what the hire was intended to do, and at that point it would be to wait and see how that pays off.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
It's a tough schedule overall, but Syracuse is winless in the ACC and we have 6 games against the Coastal plus Gardner-Webb. That gives us at least 8 winnable games, even if you discount our chances against UCF. Out of those I could see us cobbling together 5 wins.

You definitely have thicker gold colored glasses than I do... I think we will beat Gardner Webb and Syracuse and there will be one other fluke win where we beat a team we aren't expected to. I just don't see us getting more than 3 wins next year, though...
Now if this team turns the corner the end of this season and starts decisively winning football games, I will be thrilled to eat my words. Right now, I am just not seeing it though...