Let’s rally behind all the staff and players donning GT

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Ok fellow GT fans enough venting about our strong opinions, disappointment, or disagreements with how things have unfolded. For the vast majority of us we have little to no control over these things as they are “beyond our control”. Let’s now do a better job of responding to how we deal with it. Let’s RALLY behind the coaching staff and players. Let’s RALLY behind the upcoming recruits who have or may choose to travel the road less traveled and commit/stay committed to GT despite our recent track record. We need to unite behind and bind together through our love for GT not only for now but for the long term impact that a strong supporting fan base can provide to the players and staff who are discouraged, frustrated, and maybe questioning their place at GT thinking that somewhere else would be easier or more successful! Let’s keep them here with us and let’s grow stronger together! The coaching staff are out there on the recruiting trail in face to face meetings with families and recruits telling them all the great and truthful life changing opportunities they will encounter at GT. Right now our the teams recruiting against us would only have to point to the negative media headlines, W/L records, and frankly GT fanbase websites and not have to do any negative recruiting except say “look at what their own fans are saying. Do you really want to be a part of that? Come to University _________ where 80k fans and multi million budgets will buy your worthless degree because you’re NFL caliber talent and the degree won’t matter anyway!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wish to god someone had posted this when CPJ was getting hammered by fans year after year. His biggest sin was that he didn’t pass enough. And some of our fans amplified every negative recruiting trope about him that our opponents were putting out.

I wonder if it has occurred to anyone yet that you can’t build a new positive regime on a pile of toxic negativity aimed at the former coach.

We have made our bed and are now lying in it. It’s way too late to try to paint our community with sunshine and roses. Only hard work by our football program, whoever is coaching, will turn this around.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think the fans have anything to do with all of this.
I disagree. Yes they do. A lot of fan ( gt ) negativity has surrounded the Gt FB program for awhile. not certain if it is the aging group of fans or we just love analyzing and negativity. This situation is not recent. The more negative fans appear to be the more vocal. I don’t post much, but this is my opinion being around gt sports for over 55 years.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. Yes they do. A lot of fan ( gt ) negativity has surrounded the Gt FB program for awhile. not certain if it is the aging group of fans or we just love analyzing and negativity. This situation is not recent. The more negative fans appear to be the more vocal. I don’t post much, but this is my opinion being around gt sports for over 55 years.
I agree. Fans have a ton to do with it. The red stadium last weekend will do long term damage to the football program. The kids and their families had to sit in the midst of that and it showed a complete lack of support. Maybe the fans are showing their frustration to the coaches but it is personal to the players. Not many programs completely abandon their team when they are down like we did last weekend. It is time to get together and turn it around.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? Get on the mutt board next time they lose. Or if you could find the old Buzzoff archive when Gailey was only winning 7 games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Send your comments to TStan and the folks that could actually, you know, DO SOMETHING to turn the program around. Nagging us fans is silly.
Yeah, organizing a movement to change one man seems more realistic than organizing a movement to change the attitude of 25,000 people.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Fan support is directly correlated to longer term team performance and track record in any sport anywhere. Granted GT doesn't have the volume of fans as compared to most SEC programs but they will return AFTER team performance improves. Anything other than this is driven by pure desire and emotion but won't happen. And yes, while I did attend the game on Saturday among the sea of red, I also recognize how fans come and go related to team performance in any sport over time. Fans can't be accused of creating poor team performance.

While rallying the fan base should always be attempted, season ticket sales next year will be lower after multiple losing seasons. And attendance WILL come back once the team breaks back into the winning category.

Jmonty71

Banned
Players? Sure.

Staff? Firm hell no.
I am in this boat.... The staff doesn't deserve blind pass after blind pass. Sometimes a duck is, in fact a duck. I see clueless coaches and an extremely unprepared, in over his head of a head coach. In simple terms, Collins wasn't ready. He rode a lot of coat tails, to achieve what he got. He uses word play to move the pass/fail line. He would be a heck of a politician. However; as for a HC, where results and success matters, he cannot simply get it done.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

this is easy. Option Kings and his band of disciples showed up (FTR - I liked PJ). Some people loved him from the word go, some hated him, and some new folks came around just because they loved option football.

Those same divisions exist now.

The ridiculous amount of teeth gnashing, both ways, is, well, ridiculous.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The more negative fans appear to be the more vocal.
I honestly think GT fans are just miserable people sometimes. If we could get behind the team with the same enthusiasm that we use to boo the refs, we might actually have a home field advantage. Combine this with lackadaisical Greek/student turnout and it's a recipe for malaise.

Anecdote: I used to have seats in upper north, and there was a guy who sat close to me who always found a way to be negative. We could be up in a game by 3-4 touchdowns, and he'd be pissed that we let the other team score. Some people just can't enjoy good things.

The phrase is something like "We're Harvard during the week and Alabama on Saturday". Been a long, long time since we've been Alabama on Saturday and I think the average fan needs to realize this. Remember the other team is fielding 85 players too and didn't just show up to get rolled over.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly think GT fans are just miserable people sometimes. If we could get behind the team with the same enthusiasm that we use to boo the refs, we might actually have a home field advantage. Combine this with lackadaisical Greek/student turnout and it's a recipe for malaise.

Anecdote: I used to have seats in upper north, and there was a guy who sat close to me who always found a way to be negative. We could be up in a game by 3-4 touchdowns, and he'd be pissed that we let the other team score. Some people just can't enjoy good things.

The phrase is something like "We're Harvard during the week and Alabama on Saturday". Been a long, long time since we've been Alabama on Saturday and I think the average fan needs to realize this. Remember the other team is fielding 85 players too and didn't just show up to get rolled over.
The Institute instills misery in us all. My wife (uGA grad) always laments how depressed students seem on tech's campus compared to georgia. For better or worse (and sometimes, I think worse) the pain of getting a GT degree and the commiseration among tech students while they attend recruits against us in many ways.