Let’s discuss: Should Joe Hamilton have won the Heisman in 1999?

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
So… the Heisman was given out this past weekend. (Thank god it wasn’t Bennett) So upon doing some digging, despite Tech having an illustrious football history and the namesake of the trophy coaching here, we do not have a winner of the Heisman. A few jackets have been finalists. Clint Castleberry, who’s the only GT player with their number retired in football was 3rd in 1943, and Billy Lothridge who finished second behind Roger Staubach in 1963.

However, no Jacket has ever been closer to striking the pose than Joe Hamilton. Hamilton is a GT legend, I’m too young for him but even I know about his heroics on the flats. He smashed GT and ACC passing records, and brought Tech back to success under coach George O’Leary. Joe won ACC player of the year, the Davey O’Brien Award, was a consensus All-American, and finished second in voting for the Heisman in 1999, AHEAD of Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick! Unfortunately, Ron Dayne of Wisconsin ended up winning the Heisman. While Dayne had a great career and was a terrific RB, a lot of people say that Joe had a better overall season in 1999. It’s hard to compare them because they played different positions.

In my opinion, both Joe or Ron were good choices, and either one would have been fine. Hell, I wouldn’t be mad if Vick ended up winning it that year because Vick was a BEAST in college as well.

What is your opinion? Should Joe have won, or was Dayne the correct choice?

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Many reporters that year referenced Ron Dayne’s career rushing records. It felt to me that Joe was the best player that year but not the best player over four years since Dayne set the total yards in four seasons record…and that exceeds all previous Heisman winners.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes and Peyton Manning should have won it in 1997. That was a weird time for the Heisman and had a bunch of controversy surrounding multiple picks in that Era.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Many reporters that year referenced Ron Dayne’s career rushing records. It felt to me that Joe was the best player that year but not the best player over four years since Dayne set the total yards in four seasons record…and that exceeds all previous Heisman winners.
Exactly. Dayne was given the award for "career achievement." Joe was clearly the best player that year. The midwest voters had to find a way to recognize Dayne's career achievements; which were pretty remarkable.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yes, as others have said, he lost to Dayne's career, record-breaking record and stats.
Amen.

And if I was s bennett, I'd be upset that I was that far in 4th place you made me go and sit there. It, like most awards these days, is all about the story and lacking substance.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s because of the late losses to UVA and Wake (especially wake). I get that he was the best player, but there are great players on teams that are 500.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
GT was 8-4 that year. That hurt. Losing to Wake on 20 November really hurt his chances more than anything else.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Joe Hamilton definitely deserved to win the Heisman. Dayne wasn’t even the leading rusher that year. The kid from UVA lead the nation in rushing that season if I’m not mistaken.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s because of the late losses to UVA and Wake (especially wake). I get that he was the best player, but there are great players on teams that are 500.

The Wake loss really hurt and he had a poor game that day. Seemed to be pressing to erase a 10 point deficit on one play, which turned into an interception or two. But he was by far the best player that year. And GT was 8-4 that year including being thumped by Miami in bowl game. That game was kind of the on ramp for Miami's success over the next few years.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
So… the Heisman was given out this past weekend. (Thank god it wasn’t Bennett) So upon doing some digging, despite Tech having an illustrious football history and the namesake of the trophy coaching here, we do not have a winner of the Heisman. A few jackets have been finalists. Clint Castleberry, who’s the only GT player with their number retired in football was 3rd in 1943, and Billy Lothridge who finished second behind Roger Staubach in 1963.

However, no Jacket has ever been closer to striking the pose than Joe Hamilton. Hamilton is a GT legend, I’m too young for him but even I know about his heroics on the flats. He smashed GT and ACC passing records, and brought Tech back to success under coach George O’Leary. Joe won ACC player of the year, the Davey O’Brien Award, was a consensus All-American, and finished second in voting for the Heisman in 1999, AHEAD of Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick! Unfortunately, Ron Dayne of Wisconsin ended up winning the Heisman. While Dayne had a great career and was a terrific RB, a lot of people say that Joe had a better overall season in 1999. It’s hard to compare them because they played different positions.

In my opinion, both Joe or Ron were good choices, and either one would have been fine. Hell, I wouldn’t be mad if Vick ended up winning it that year because Vick was a BEAST in college as well.

What is your opinion? Should Joe have won, or was Dayne the correct choice?
Yes