Legacy Admissions to GT

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I just got Tech Early Action stats from my son's top metro Atlanta public high school.

ADMITTED STUDENTS
Average GPA: 4.59
Average SAT: 1559
Average ACT: 35
Most accepted applicants to engineering majors did coursework BEYOND AP Calc BC and AP Physics C

This is mind-boggling. These are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT numbers.

Deleted member 2897

I just got Tech Early Action stats from my son's top metro Atlanta public high school.

ADMITTED STUDENTS
Most accepted applicants to engineering majors did coursework BEYOND AP Calc BC and AP Physics C

This is mind-boggling. These are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT numbers.

I graduated some 25 years ago. If I applied today, I would be brought up on multiple counts of murder, as probably two-thirds of the admissions office would choke on their food once they saw my qualifications.

herb

Helluva Engineer

ADMITTED STUDENTS

pretty staggering. even more so that there were kids with those numbers that were deferred on Early Action

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I volunteer for our local alumni chapter and have served in a number of leadership roles. Each year, we award seven $1,000 scholarships to incoming freshmen. (Those are endowed scholarships thanks to some fantastic heavy lifting by past leaders.)

To apply for the scholarship, incoming students fill out an application provided by the alumni association. The candidates provide their test scores, extracurriculars and complete an essay. We then narrow down to a top 10-12 and interview the candidates at a Panera Bread for 30 minutes apiece.

I've been involved in various aspects of the above for almost 10 years now. The number of applicants has risen steadily as has their qualifications. Some of the applicants who don't make our final 10-12 in even just the latter half of my tenure have accomplished more in their first 17 years than I have in over 2x that time. Founders of start-ups, non-profits (some international), passed legislation at the state level, etc. We have ended up telling those who earn 1600's with other scholastic awards that they were not the most impressive candidates. Like @bwelbo, fairly sure I would no longer get in.

What's even more interesting/expected but a negative byproduct to my personal interests in the profoundly decreasing number of applicants who demonstrate any interest in sports. You can see the down slide via extracurriculars, the comments in their essays, and in the interviews. I also see it at Accepted Student Meet & Greets and Student Send-offs, where the incoming classes are not only deprioritizing the sports aspect of their college experience, but it's nearly nowhere on the radar for many. That is an extremely tough road to hoe for TStan and our coaches.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Have the same experience as @CuseJacket with local scholarships. What confounds me is why can’t GT grow in size to be a true juggernaut in Engineering education, research and development. We should absolutely dwarf the competition. There’s no reason we should not be triple the size we are now and dominate pocket protector sales in the US per capita.

Deleted member 2897

I volunteer for our local alumni chapter and have served in a number of leadership roles. Each year, we award seven $1,000 scholarships to incoming freshmen. (Those are endowed scholarships thanks to some fantastic heavy lifting by past leaders.)

To apply for the scholarship, incoming students fill out an application provided by the alumni association. The candidates provide their test scores, extracurriculars and complete an essay. We then narrow down to a top 10-12 and interview the candidates at a Panera Bread for 30 minutes apiece.

I've been involved in various aspects of the above for almost 10 years now. The number of applicants has risen steadily as has their qualifications. Some of the applicants who don't make our final 10-12 in even just the latter half of my tenure have accomplished more in their first 17 years than I have in over 2x that time. Founders of start-ups, non-profits (some international), passed legislation at the state level, etc. We have ended up telling those who earn 1600's with other scholastic awards that they were not the most impressive candidates. Like @bwelbo, fairly sure I would no longer get in.

What's even more interesting/expected but a negative byproduct to my personal interests in the profoundly decreasing number of applicants who demonstrate any interest in sports. You can see the down slide via extracurriculars, the comments in their essays, and in the interviews. I also see it at Accepted Student Meet & Greets and Student Send-offs, where the incoming classes are not only deprioritizing the sports aspect of their college experience, but it's nearly nowhere on the radar for many. That is an extremely tough road to hoe for TStan and our coaches.

Yep, that's where we're at with my 14 year old son. It may change 20 more times, but he's currently thinking IE. Of course GT is #1 for like 25 straight years. But Clemson, NC State, and Virginia Tech are also all top 15 nationally. If we knew he would get into GT if he had a certain GPA and a certain SAT, then we'd encourage him to bury himself. But with our tough the competition is, there really aren't any numbers where you know you're in. So I want him to do well, but enjoy himself and participate in extra curricular activities and sports.

We could easily be a 30,000 student school, still be elite, and imagine the financial juggernaut then we'd be compared to today all the way down through sports.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I will caveat my prior post with the fact that not all of our scholarship candidates end up going to GT. Many are considering the ivys, Stanford, MIT, etc. as well as schools where they might have a full ride. Nonetheless the GT admission profile continues to escalate.

herb

Helluva Engineer
just for illustrative purposes, of my good friends at Tech, there have been that i know of, in the last several years 7 male applicants with one early action acceptance and 6 deferrals. 4 of the deferrals were eventually accepted and three of them are there, plus the one early admit. There were 7 female applicants. 6 early action acceptance, one deferral and she was eventually accepted. All 7 are or will be at Tech in the fall. All of the children were at least double legacies. Only one was out of state.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...gia-tech-admits-about/2EHBwB9k4NGRfVkmsZBQvK/
About 20% of nearly 18,800 regular decision applicants found out Saturday they were admitted. Among that number were Georgia students from 391 high schools and 107 counties.

Combining this crop of applicants with those admitted early action in January, 7,984 students were admitted to Georgia Tech this year for an overall acceptance rate of 20%, about the same rate as last year.

The school hopes to enroll about 3,250 freshmen in the class of 2024, said Tech admissions director Rick Clark Tuesday.
It remains more challenging to gain admission into Tech from out-of-state. The acceptance rate is 16% outside of Georgia, compared to 38% in-state.

(Despite the edge already given to Georgians, a bill in the Legislature would require that at least 90% of Tech’s early action admissions go to Georgia residents.)

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
The following stats are from the class of 2020 at Walton High School in East Cobb. NOTE: I hand counted the number of perfect scores from a scattergram so the numbers may be off by one or two. Otherwise, the data was direct from Naviance and reflects Walton only.

Attachments

• Walton HS stats.png
    Walton HS stats.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 108

Deleted member 2897

The following stats are from the class of 2020 at Walton High School in East Cobb. NOTE: I hand counted the number of perfect scores from a scattergram so the numbers may be off by one or two. Otherwise, the data was direct from Naviance and reflects Walton only.

11 perfect SAT scores from one high school????