Legacy Admissions to GT

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
Because the odds of getting accepted are so much lower if you’re out of state.

Also, I know people in the Atlanta area who went to Georgia State (for the transfer thing) and they roomed right off Techs campus...so they’re pretty ingrained in Tech from the beginning, rooming with a friend doing the same thing.
I thought acceptance was a guarantee as long as the GPA requirement was met.

Deleted member 2897

I thought acceptance was a guarantee as long as the GPA requirement was met.

I was talking about regular acceptance, not through transfer. The last time I looked, the in-State acceptance rate was 2.5x higher than out of state.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
I was talking about regular acceptance, not through transfer. The last time I looked, the in-State acceptance rate was 2.5x higher than out of state.
I apologize. I thought you were talking about the “go somewhere for a year and maintain a good GPA and we’ll let you in” plan that my son got.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I laugh at the people who get butthurt when told they have to wait till their sophomore year and transfer to GT. Rules, Jr swallowed his pride and now holds an AE degree from one of the best schools in the world.

My son got rejected with a 35 ACT and 1500 SAT. Plus, he's had great leadership examples as Electrical team captain and technical team lead on his Robotics team. We live in SC, so his odds from out of state were a lot longer. He really needed to knock the essay out of the park, but I don't think he spent enough time on it to make it really memorable. He's been accepted at Purdue and NC State, but is considering the pathway program. Unfortunately, he also really wants to co-op, and I'm not sure how that will work logistically with choosing a company and then transferring to another school. My understanding is that Tech won't let you bring your own co-op employer. Did your son co-op?

Deleted member 2897

My son got rejected with a 35 ACT and 1500 SAT. Plus, he's had great leadership examples as Electrical team captain and technical team lead on his Robotics team. We live in SC, so his odds from out of state were a lot longer. He really needed to knock the essay out of the park, but I don't think he spent enough time on it to make it really memorable. He's been accepted at Purdue and NC State, but is considering the pathway program. Unfortunately, he also really wants to co-op, and I'm not sure how that will work logistically with choosing a company and then transferring to another school. My understanding is that Tech won't let you bring your own co-op employer. Did your son co-op?

I mean if a 35 ACT and a 1500 SAT gets rejected, but an essay gets you in to Georgia Tech, that’s a big problem all by itself.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
That sounds like a horse of a different color. No, he did not co-op.

best of luck!

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
This is random but in early November I was waiting for the REI garage sale to open and talking to the others waiting in line. One guy there had just transferred to Tech that semester and already had a coop lined up starting the following summer. So I believe it is still possible to coop even if the student takes freshman classes elsewhere.

Deleted member 2897

This is random but in early November I was waiting for the REI garage sale to open and talking to the others waiting in line. One guy there had just transferred to Tech that semester and already had a coop lined up starting the following summer. So I believe it is still possible to coop even if the student takes freshman classes elsewhere.

Super side tangential comment - a friend of ours is a Freshman at GT and has a Freshman girlfriend. She already has a full time job with Amazon and they’re now paying for her school. GT is just an amazingly unique place. Until you’ve seen it and been around all these stories and know how normal that is inside of GT you can’t really understand the magnitude of it.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
It's rare for students to start their first co-op semester within their freshman year at pretty much any college.
Super side tangential comment - a friend of ours is a Freshman at GT and has a Freshman girlfriend. She already has a full time job with Amazon and they’re now paying for her school. GT is just an amazingly unique place. Until you’ve seen it and been around all these stories and know how normal that is inside of GT you can’t really understand the magnitude of it.
Some (large) companies have high school work study programs where you can get hired full time upon graduating high school and then make use of said company's programs for further undergrad/grad education.

LibertyTurns

Banned
These different scenarios are fascinating. Nothing like us oldsters experienced. Back in the day if you bagged a 700+ on Math SAT and could muster a 500 on the verbal you were golden as long as you took harder math/science classes and got A’s and B’s.

I do fear we are wandering away from extreme technical superiority to more of a blend of technical and soft skills. Of course change is needed to stay on top, but are we making ourselves more like others as opposed to putting increasing distance at the aspects we excelled at between us and the competition?

herb

Helluva Engineer

Mine was deferred and then summer admit with the same, instate. But he is there now and is a sophomore co-op ing this semester. The interviews for the jobs were not until the beginning of last fall, so if he transfers in beginning sophomore year he should be all set if he waits until 2nd year to start his co-op.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
As an undergrad who completed a Co-Op at Tech, I know for a fact that Tech would let you continue your co-op if you were to start it before enrolling/transferring. The only difference would be that unless they complete 3 Co-Op rotations while enrolled at Tech, they won't get the co-op distinction on their diploma (which really doesn't mean anything in my opinion).

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Not only that, but the whole area has dramatically changed. My daughter lived just off campus in midtown her last 2 years of CS. One of her goals was to reduce her walk commute when she got out but still live in her same apartment. She pulled it off. She had three job offers that were the same or shorter walking distance compared to walking to Tech. That is complete nuts to me compared to when I got out. My nearest job offer as a Computer Engineer was Cleveland Tennessee, designing freaking dehumidifiers only because I found thermo so easy and we ended up talking about it during the interview. I took the Motorola job in Boynton Beach Florida.

Not to mention the Create-X, ATDC and inVenture Awards to help students create companies. Last night I went to Chris Klaus's fireside chat where he is trying to get Tech students to create 300 new companies a year with the Create-X program.

This is not your Father's Tech!

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is NO doubt that GT was using different standards to achieve certain student body populations that they desired....specifically more women, and more blacks. Those groups got preferential treatment in the Admissions process. Just as with Harvard, universities today see their role as being engines of social change to "help disadvantaged groups" even the playing field.

Like it or not, that is what GT has been doing. Note that they do understand this is controversial and they do their best to obscure this. They clothe their process in mystery and claim there are no hard and fast tules for acceptance or rejection but they look at the "whole person". This look at the "whole person" allows the Admissions personnel to introduce their own standards into the process without being open and transparent about it. GT knows that to be open and transparent will result in bad PR, just as Harvard understands it, and may leave them open to lawsuits of practicing discrimination, so they are VERY careful not to give and fodder to feed that.

All you really have to do is compare the relative scores of accepted freshmen by category and you will see the disparities. I am not even sure that GT releases that data as it makes their process a bit too obvious, but talk to enough people, hear their tales and you will see the pattern. I had a daughter who benefitted from the process, so I am quietly happy about it in my own selfish way (forgive me). Not saying I agree with what GT is doing, just stating the process as it is.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
As an undergrad who completed a Co-Op at Tech, I know for a fact that Tech would let you continue your co-op if you were to start it before enrolling/transferring. The only difference would be that unless they complete 3 Co-Op rotations while enrolled at Tech, they won't get the co-op distinction on their diploma (which really doesn't mean anything in my opinion).
Great info, thanks!

Deleted member 2897

There is NO doubt that GT was using different standards to achieve certain student body populations that they desired....specifically more women, and more blacks. Those groups got preferential treatment in the Admissions process. Just as with Harvard, universities today see their role as being engines of social change to "help disadvantaged groups" even the playing field.

Like it or not, that is what GT has been doing. Note that they do understand this is controversial and they do their best to obscure this. They clothe their process in mystery and claim there are no hard and fast tules for acceptance or rejection but they look at the "whole person". This look at the "whole person" allows the Admissions personnel to introduce their own standards into the process without being open and transparent about it. GT knows that to be open and transparent will result in bad PR, just as Harvard understands it, and may leave them open to lawsuits of practicing discrimination, so they are VERY careful not to give and fodder to feed that.

All you really have to do is compare the relative scores of accepted freshmen by category and you will see the disparities. I am not even sure that GT releases that data as it makes their process a bit too obvious, but talk to enough people, hear their tales and you will see the pattern. I had a daughter who benefitted from the process, so I am quietly happy about it in my own selfish way (forgive me). Not saying I agree with what GT is doing, just stating the process as it is.

I don’t want an all white male GT, my son is a white boy and will be hurt by it. Which sucks, but he will do well wherever he goes. Our standards clearly aren’t being hurt - honestly the problem is that the school could stand to be 50% larger. They’re not letting unqualified people in, they’re just keeping many qualified people out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want an all white male GT, my son is a white boy and will be hurt by it. Which sucks, but he will do well wherever he goes. Our standards clearly aren’t being hurt - honestly the problem is that the school could stand to be 50% larger. They’re not letting unqualified people in, they’re just keeping many qualified people out.
100% agree.....

LibertyTurns

Banned
@MWBATL I’m with you, my son probably got a bump because he was at the extreme lower end of the middle 50%. Not sure what bucket they threw him into, but wish the Institute would grow to meet the demand. We have a small undergrad population. Wouldn’t it be great if there were 20k future Engineers on campus & enough room at the inn to accommodate damn near every kid that excelled both academically & in extracurriculars?

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
@MWBATL I’m with you, my son probably got a bump because he was at the extreme lower end of the middle 50%. Not sure what bucket they threw him into, but wish the Institute would grow to meet the demand. We have a small undergrad population. Wouldn’t it be great if there were 20k future Engineers on campus & enough room at the inn to accommodate damn near every kid that excelled both academically & in extracurriculars?
My uneducated guess is that the buckets are based on what HS you are from. This essentially becomes a proxy for race and economic class which honestly is OK with me. If a kid can succeed in a difficult environment but doesn't have the SAT score as high as his cohort across town I'm glad he or she is getting a chance at Tech. This will put my kids at a disadvantage but I will encourage them to take advantage of the legacy guaranteed transfer pathway if necessary and if it is still offered in 10 years.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm curious about something: As someone who is getting ready to graduate, I'm interested in Techs GIS Grad school.

Context: Not a GT legacy. B+ Avg student with room for improvement. Member of a few clubs and the 2nd in command of a residential college executive board. What's my chances? I'm white, 29 (yes, nontrad) and like I said before, I'm a Wildlife Bio guy.

Also I haven't taken my GRE but I checked out the scores needed to get into the program and they're doable.