LB play

slugboy

Staff member
I'm more worried about our D Line. Haven't seen enough pressure up the middle.
Gotsis was in on sacks, hit the QB several times, and was grabbing his arm when throwing. Not sure what you mean by not enough pressure. Second/third team was a different story.

Marcordes for the 1st time in a long time played well
+1 on Marcodes--he looked good blitzing and tackling. Not sure so much in coverage.

fakelegzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I see lots of D-linemen in on tackles. I remember years when the linebackers and d-backs had to make all of them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tyler played well

You guys are wrong about the DL or being too hard on em. They are occupying bigtime. We tie up not always try to get pressure. As a point. Look how free tyler was to make tackles. Same with davis and the safeties. They rarely were involved in the run game (safeties).

In fact. Golden even gave props to the dl cuz of this. They are doing their jobs. They are not asked to penetrate every play.
What about the 3rd and long plays where the qb had all day because he had room to step up in the pocket? We do have good occupiers, though.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Tyler played well

You guys are wrong about the DL or being too hard on em. They are occupying bigtime. We tie up not always try to get pressure. As a point. Look how free tyler was to make tackles. Same with davis and the safeties. They rarely were involved in the run game (safeties).

In fact. Golden even gave props to the dl cuz of this. They are doing their jobs. They are not asked to penetrate every play.

It really is puzzling to me how critical everyone is regarding the starting DL. There were several 3rd and longs that our four guys up front were able to apply pressure. Last year, QBs (on any team) had ALL day to sit back there until someone got open. We couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Conversely, I felt like our secondary did a great job in coverage and were probably responsible for a coverage sack.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I thought once Macordes got healthy last year he played well down the stretch.

I have been expecting a big year from him this year. Players develop. I am sure he has worked hard to get better.

I did notice PJ playing more within the system yesterday.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but I'm not going to be negative about PJ. The kid plays like an animal and I like it that way.
I'm not being negative about PJ (nor defensive about my comment). It was an observation about an area that he needs to really improve on. When it comes to applying pressure or run stopping, there's no one I'd rather have out there. He has a great nose for the ball and always seems be around the tackle. There were several passes later in the game where he was picked on successfully. You can believe that future opponents will notice that too.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I thought Marcodes played well yesterday. Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought he was better at both tackling and pass defense downfield than PJ. I think PJ is a better blitzer and often a better tackler, but i noticed Marcodes a lot.

I agree . Marcordes was in good position in coverage on several plays and made some tackles. He is making positive strides. Noble was getting some good pressure on blitzes but ran past the ballcarrier when blitzing (last week also) on run plays. The other backers besides PJ need to step up. I personally want to see more of Lewis.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What about the 3rd and long plays where the qb had all day because he had room to step up in the pocket? We do have good occupiers, though.

If the expectation is pressure for both dt on every obvious passing down there is no winning this argument with you or anyone that beleives this. We had DT with sacks. We had alot of DT hits on the qb. Please. Dt pressure was not an issue for me. Dt are not pass rush guys. Go back and rewatch the game. 91 and gotsis were in the mix alot.

9 tackles 3 tfl and 1 sack from starting dt in half a game. Thats really good.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It really is puzzling to me how critical everyone is regarding the starting DL. There were several 3rd and longs that our four guys up front were able to apply pressure. Last year, QBs (on any team) had ALL day to sit back there until someone got open. We couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Conversely, I felt like our secondary did a great job in coverage and were probably responsible for a coverage sack.

I agree. I dont know what the heck people are expecting, four jj watts i guess. The DL played solid. If they play like that 10 more times we win alot of games.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If the expectation is pressure for both dt on every obvious passing down there is no winning this argument with you or anyone that beleives this. We had DT with sacks. We had alot of DT hits on the qb. Please. Dt pressure was not an issue for me. Dt are not pass rush guys. Go back and rewatch the game. 91 and gotsis were in the mix alot.

9 tackles 3 tfl and 1 sack from starting dt in half a game. Thats really good.

I was at the game and my observation takeaway was we did not pressure the QB very well with 4 rushers. However, early this morning I rewatched the game and saw that we indeed had good pressure from the front four on many plays. Gotsis and the DE's did a good job on many plays and Gamble did well late in the game when he was with the backups. There is pressure improvement and we are using 4 good rushing DE's regularly. On many plays Freeman was on one end and Simmons on the other, a combo that worked quite well.