LB play

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Curious as to what the board thinks about our LB's so far. For me, I'm not too impressed. They're pretty good at pressuring the passer on blitzes but after that, I'm at a loss. Tackling is average to poor for guys not named PJ and pass defense is still not good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I thought Marcodes played well yesterday. Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought he was better at both tackling and pass defense downfield than PJ. I think PJ is a better blitzer and often a better tackler, but i noticed Marcodes a lot.

Hang in there jeff it's gonna get better. I think that is why JHD played more later in the game.
I think Notre Dame's OL might be an order of magnitude better than Alcorn's or Tulane's. Once again, as has been the case for several years, we will need to play defense by keeping our offense on the field, and scoring EVERY possession. It is a tremendous burden on the opposing offense to match us score-for-score. I think them having a new and inexperienced qb will only add to the pressure Notre Dame's offense will feel. If we can get up two or three scores, Roof will have a number of extra options to employ on defense. This game is going to be intense for at least 3 quarters. Hopefully we will play with a lead, get a key turnover in the second half and break it open. Then Skov, Skov, Skov to put it away.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Marcordes was able to drop deep in pass defense and prevent a 3rd and long throw to their TE. That impressed me. On the opposite end, a long 3rd down pass was completed with PJ in coverage where it was obvious his size played against him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tyler played well

You guys are wrong about the DL or being too hard on em. They are occupying bigtime. We tie up not always try to get pressure. As a point. Look how free tyler was to make tackles. Same with davis and the safeties. They rarely were involved in the run game (safeties).

In fact. Golden even gave props to the dl cuz of this. They are doing their jobs. They are not asked to penetrate every play.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with previous posters that marcordes played better than PJ yesterday. PJ plays a little reckless at times, and needs to sure that up as the season goes along. I thought our pressure was pretty good for the most part, and I feel certain that our DL is better than last year. I think we are better overall on defense than last year, and I think that they will get better as the year goes on like last year. In my estimation we are slightly better or about where we were to end 2014, which is far better than where we were at the beginning of 2014. If we continue to improve I think we will be a solid defense by the end of the season. We will need to score 30+ points in several games to win, but I think we can do it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Marcordes was able to drop deep in pass defense and prevent a 3rd and long throw to their TE. That impressed me. On the opposite end, a long 3rd down pass was completed with PJ in coverage where it was obvious his size played against him.

Man, he played beautiful pass coverage on that tight end

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Those exact two plays jump to my mind as well. I hope it means TM has turned the corner in pass pro. I'm afraid PJ is just a gonna have to be a liability in that dept.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
PJ is not good at pass coverage but my God he is a beast in the run game and blitzing, i'd rather get sandwiched between Gotsis and Jabari than take a hit from PJ

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Tyler played well

You guys are wrong about the DL or being too hard on em. They are occupying bigtime. We tie up not always try to get pressure. As a point. Look how free tyler was to make tackles. Same with davis and the safeties. They rarely were involved in the run game (safeties).

In fact. Golden even gave props to the dl cuz of this. They are doing their jobs. They are not asked to penetrate every play.

To follow up on this point, we got a ton of pressure on the QB yesterday. To me, I don't care how we're disruptive just if we're disruptive. They only had time to throw 4-5 times yesterday, at least that's how it seemed as I watched. Time will tell if Roof can gameplan to adjust our defense for each opponent, but I think he's shown the ability to get the most out of what we have.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
We have given up less than 20 points in 2 games.
Albeit to lesser competition..... compare this D thru 2 games to lastyears D.

The numbers speak for themselves.
I like the way we are playing with out hair on fire more vs waiting to react after something happens.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
33 is spot on. The D Line is doing exactly what Roof is asking for. It is making things easy for the other 7 to make plays. In addition to Gotsis and Days, Gamble is playing strong too.