Latest Line Move on GT/Clem

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
tenor.gif

oops you're right. I misread that but yeah, a rise in the spread means money coming in more on the favorite.
Which is stupid - we'll cover this

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
oops you're right. I misread that but yeah, a rise in the spread means money coming in more on the favorite.
Which is stupid - we'll cover this

Might mean some big $$$ players are coming in late on Clemson's side - haven't looked at percentages on websites recently. It'll be fluid through mid day tomorrow.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Might mean some big $$$ players are coming in late on Clemson's side - haven't looked at percentages on websites recently. It'll be fluid through mid day tomorrow.
At one point yesterday morning someone or a group of people laid some SERIOUS money on clemson. Spread moved from 35 to 37 in the matter of minutes.... if Clayton is cleared I'm hammering us at +37

Deleted member 2897

I know it’s sad, but 57-20 doesn’t seem that unlikely.

Yes it does. Clemson only scored that many points 3 times last year out of 15 games. Wake Forest, Florida State, and Lousville - 2 of those teams had long given up on anything. I mean, we scored 66 on Louisville, in a game that featured a much lower number of possessions.

A line of 37 is complete BS. Clemson has no dog in this hunt and its a long season. If its 50-0 at halftime, they'll pull just about everybody to save injuries and we'll close the gap. I'd say there's a < 5% chance they cover.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's more telling to see where the spread goes the day of the game. Watch the late movement tomorrow to learn what the sharps are thinking.

I put money on us at +36. I rarely bet on our games, and when I do it's only on GT. Can't have any conflict of interest.

Like some have said, among the many scenarios that could play out tomorrow, the one where we get blown out quickly in quarters 1-3 lends itself to a backdoor cover. We go down by 6 TD and make one up in garbage time, we cover.

Deleted member 2897

It's more telling to see where the spread goes the day of the game. Watch the late movement tomorrow to learn what the sharps are thinking.

I put money on us at +36. I rarely bet on our games, and when I do it's only on GT. Can't have any conflict of interest.

Like some have said, among the many scenarios that could play out tomorrow, the one where we get blown out quickly in quarters 1-3 lends itself to a backdoor cover. We go down by 6 TD and make one up in garbage time, we cover.

I mean, that's the exact history of this rivalry for the last several years - on average we're down 20 by halftime. And the game ends around that same points differential. Especially in game 1 - its a long season. No reason to play Lawrence in the second half (or other key starters) if its 28-3 at halftime or something. Sit your players and save them. After us they play #12 Texas A&M and then #22 Syracuse. I think we'll cover because I see 4 possible outcomes:
1) 80% chance the game opens up and Clemson starts sitting players.
2) 15% chance its a reasonably competitive game inside of 20-25 points throughout.
3) 4% chance they are fighting to just win the game.
4) 1% chance their 3rd and 4th stringers and walk-ons beat the crap out us.

The only way they cover is if their 3rd and 4th string players and walk-ons beat the crap out of us. Which could happen, but I just see that as a tiny chance.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Last year clemson beat the Coastal division champ by 32. They beat two playoff teams by 4TDs each. A 37 point line isn't unreasonable playing at home against a team with as many ?s as we have. If your main argument against the line is that we can cover it when they play their third stringers in garbage time, the line is fine.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Last year clemson beat the Coastal division champ by 32. They beat two playoff teams by 4TDs each. A 37 point line isn't unreasonable playing at home against a team with as many ?s as we have. If your main argument against the line is that we can cover it when they play their third stringers in garbage time, the line is fine.
Don't think anyone made that the main argument. More like folks are pointing to it as a safety net.

None of the spreads against those teams from last year were this high, which is arguably a better barometer than the outcome itself. Clemson added question marks in the offseason as well. That doesn't make our own situation any better, but it's more like I think the general unknown about two teams in their first game is what I'm banking on, particularly 2 P5 teams. Just my opinion. By no means a lock.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't think anyone made that the main argument. More like folks are pointing to it as a safety net.

None of the spreads against those teams from last year were this high, which is arguably a better barometer than the outcome itself. Clemson added question marks in the offseason as well. That doesn't make our own situation any better, but it's more like I think the general unknown about two teams in their first game is what I'm banking on, particularly 2 P5 teams. Just my opinion. By no means a lock.

I dunno. That seems the main point of the only poster really arguing against it.

Also, not sure why you would think the spreads of the games are a better barometer than the outcomes themselves. I would buy it if it were one game, but Clemson was absolutely killing teams very likely to be a good bit better than the one we will have this year. Sure it's a different year but do you think that really favors us right now?

Also, what question marks does clemson have? My feeling is that the ?s they have are only ?s in regards to how they stack up against the truly top teams. For instance their DL can be pointed to as a question, but if you look at who they will field, that would be a strength of our team. I don't really see this as a general unknown. This is they are pretty damn well known to be an elite team, and we're trying to answer the question of whether we will be bad or if we can manage to be average.

Clemson had a similar line last year against an ACC team. They won by 60. Now yes, UL was in a different situation but it I think the safety net isn't as automatic a thing as people are acting.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
What is the best on-line site to bet?

GT will cover 35, 36 or 37. Either because we play well or Clemson pulls back to avoid unnecessary injuries.

Bovada IMO. Some issues with getting money onto it for legal reasons (gamblinb as a while for the US is illegal, except for some states ala New Jersey and Nevada) , but if you have crptocurrency like Bitcoin, they will match your first (few) deposits $ for $. Theres places to buy Bitcoin as well as a tit for tat $ for $ as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno. That seems the main point of the only poster really arguing against it.

Also, not sure why you would think the spreads of the games are a better barometer than the outcomes themselves. I would buy it if it were one game, but Clemson was absolutely killing teams very likely to be a good bit better than the one we will have this year. Sure it's a different year but do you think that really favors us right now?

Also, what question marks does clemson have? My feeling is that the ?s they have are only ?s in regards to how they stack up against the truly top teams. For instance their DL can be pointed to as a question, but if you look at who they will field, that would be a strength of our team. I don't really see this as a general unknown. This is they are pretty damn well known to be an elite team, and we're trying to answer the question of whether we will be bad or if we can manage to be average.

Clemson had a similar line last year against an ACC team. They won by 60. Now yes, UL was in a different situation but it I think the safety net isn't as automatic a thing as people are acting.
I get what you're saying and only disagree on one point. Just because Clemson beat Bama by 4 TD, does not mean Clemson would be favored by 4 TD against Bama if they played the game back the very next week, let alone the next year. Bama was favored. More than likely the championship game outcome only moves the needle 7 points at most, and that would be wild in and of itself.

Yea, Clemson's DL this year is my point re: their unknowns. I agree Clemson's new DL would be a strength everywhere. But I do think OL vs. DL is the most important factor in determining the outcome of a game, and I think playing experience is important even for top end talent. Add in first game in a while unpredictability, and weird things happen (potentially to our detriment, I get it).

Re: the safety net scenario, even in most blow-out scenarios, I can see Clemson easing in Q4 for a variety of reasons. And we allegedly have 3 QBs who are capable of playing and will play to the final whistle. I definitely think the Louisville example from last year is exactly the exception to the rule of reasonable spreads, given how terrible they were. We'll see. Vegas is usually smarter than me, and so I recognize there's a good chance of that being true this time as well.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan

True, but teams don’t just simply pick up where they left off. This version of Clemson is vastly different. Clemson is replacing their entire DL. Clemson always starts out a little slow. They will be a much better team in week 5 than they will be now. Honestly, this is the best timing for us. By no means do I predict a win. But I don’t think they’ll come out on all cylinders such that they blow us out like the citadel.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson’s offense should be able to score at will against anyone in the country. They proved that last year and have all the same weapons. I’m excited to see pressure on Defense and wreckless abandon on special teams. I’m hopeful for the offense. This is the tallest of tasks for a new staff but I think we’re not going down without a fight.

A new era begins tomorrow night! Beer is in the fridge and whiskey is in the cabinet. Juice is flowing. I have a building to punch out tomorrow then the tailgating at home begins. Taking a 4 day weekend, grilling all food, watching football, and spending time with the family. Life is great! Football is back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk