lack of passing game

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's just a GT issue. Found some stats just for you little buddy. You're going to want to note the passing stats and how every year the QB had over 2000 yards. Can you guess who the OC was? I bet you can.
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1990
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1989
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1988

Oh look I even found you a video...

That QB threw for 2752 yards and 25 touchdowns that year. CPJ was calling plays at Hawaii from 1987-1994. The difference is that Tech has never had a quarterback with that touch on passes in the CPJ era. They also had a QB who looked off targets and didn't just throw hail marys every play.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
So our offense is the reason for 7 wins?
Jesus Eric, it doesn't matter how many times people explain the full reasons why we have averaged 7 wins lately. Some people refuse to accept that the offense has actually done pretty well 4 out of the 6 years we have run it. People refuse to look at the full reasons why our record has not been so great. Hell, I remember Alabama struggling vs LSU, only scoring 6 points, then scoring 21 later in the BCS championship. You don't see BAMA changing everything. There are 3 facets to this game, for those of you solely blaming our mediocre record on our offense you are not analyzing the full problem and blaming it on what is often the strength of the team (because it is not as fun to watch as a conventional offense).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this year we see the D be ranked higher than the O and both in the top 30 for total O and total D. And ST be strong in all phases too. (Please forgive my stats transgression AE :notworthy::cautious::rolleyes:) We are becoming a more balanced team with the improvement in D and ST over the last few years.

No. Fwiw, we were top 30 in total D last year and 44 in total O. They are completely misleading stats, and I don't forgive this transgression. (y)

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's just a GT issue. Found some stats just for you little buddy. You're going to want to note the passing stats and how every year the QB had over 2000 yards. Can you guess who the OC was? I bet you can.
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1990
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1989
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1988

Oh look I even found you a video...

I see two tight end sets. I see a power I on the goal line. I see slant routes. Although the film is grainy it appears that the line splits are tighter. I see a lot of things that I have never seen him do at Tech.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You gonna have fans that love him like dress & AE and people like me who went from hoping for better to just waiting on the inevitable, but it's not gonna stop me from rooting for GT.

This is an honest question. Why is it that when anyone disagrees with you on this it's because they "love" CPJ? Is that the only way someone could be fine with the offense in your mind?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is an honest question. Why is it that when anyone disagrees with you on this it's because they "love" CPJ? Is that the only way someone could be fine with the offense in your mind?

@ATL1 made a post in which he once again connected our offense to our W-L without reference to our D. At some point, I think you have to accept that not everybody lives in the real world.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Geez, I'm tired of CPJ's offense. You need balance - multiple credible threats for the defense to worry about. The passing game gives you a credible downfield threat you just don't have in our offense unless you entice a BayBay-caliber WR to come play for us.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, let me frank: like a lot of people, I think that only three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. Good football teams run first; it really is that simple. We run better then almost anyone in the country. Ergo, we run a lot more then we pass. Personally, I'd like to see us run every down.

But I do think there will be some changes this year in the passing game. The main one was on display in the spring game: we threw slants. True, we only completed one of them, but in that weather, who's counting? I do think we'll do more of the medium stuff this year, mainly because we have WRs (Smelter, Autry Sr., Summers, Waller) who can help pull it off. When we had Dwyer and Thomas, there was no reason to do anything but throw deep.

However, for the umpteenth time, our problem is on D, not O. Get better on D, do about the same on O and we win 8 - 9 regular. Problem = doing better on D depends a lot more on sheer physical talent. We run a system offense and the parts are pretty interchangeable. On the other side of the ball, I fear we'll miss Attachou more then we anticipate. Hope I'm wrong.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Geez, I'm tired of CPJ's offense. You need balance - multiple credible threats for the defense to worry about. The passing game gives you a credible downfield threat you just don't have in our offense unless you entice a BayBay-caliber WR to come play for us.
Would you still be tired of it if we matched it with a slightly above average defense that let us win 10 games a year?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line.
We have hitched our wagon on a one dimensional and in some ways gimmick offense. A developed passing game is not gonna happen or at least happen consistently. The best we can hope for is to be the best at running the bread and butter extremely option plays well. It is what it is.

^^^ this is spot on..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
@ATL1 made a post in which he once again connected our offense to our W-L without reference to our D. At some point, I think you have to accept that not everybody lives in the real world.

T A&M was in the same boat last year. Horrible D but they could put up 50 pts per game and win by keeping the other O off the field. The D needs to step up, yes but so does the O, big time. 17-20 pts per game ain't gonna win many in today's game. Sometimes your best D is a good O.

thwgjacket

I see two tight end sets. I see a power I on the goal line. I see slant routes. Although the film is grainy it appears that the line splits are tighter. I see a lot of things that I have never seen him do at Tech.
I just looked through the video, did not see a double tight end set except on the goal line when they were also running the Power-I. Goaline situations were not the topic, the passing game was. I saw him use that set at Southern when he was there and I have definitely seen us line a WR up at the TE spot on a goaline situation. As far as non-goaline situations I saw formations just like we run using the passing game, which was the topic of conversation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We don't need a "developed" passing game, whatever that means. We need to be more efficient when we pass and that is easier with a better running game. Get back to running the option extremely well and the passing game will open up.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Wow, couldn't imagine this thread going in this direction :)... I kid.

But in all honestly, this debate is pointless. We are a triple option team as long as Johnson is here. For better or worse that is what we are. Some people don't like it and never will, while others absolutely embrace this style.

I for one think that GT has inherent difficulties in a state dominated by a land grant liberal arts college. We should be doing everything we can to enhance our image, not tarnish it.

The bottom line for me is that this offense is seen by the vast majority of high school athletes, of which I work with, as gimmicky and behind the times.

I am a Tech fan, and will always be one, but we aren't doing ourselves any favors.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wow, couldn't imagine this thread going in this direction :)... I kid.

But in all honestly, this debate is pointless. We are a triple option team as long as Johnson is here. For better or worse that is what we are. Some people don't like it and never will, while others absolutely embrace this style.

I for one think that GT has inherent difficulties in a state dominated by a land grant liberal arts college. We should be doing everything we can to enhance our image, not tarnish it.

The bottom line for me is that this offense is seen by the vast majority of high school athletes, of which I work with, as gimmicky and behind the times.

I am a Tech fan, and will always be one, but we aren't doing ourselves any favors.
The vast majority of those vast majority have no business going to GT. High school kids are fickle, at least the vast majority are. How many of those same kids would change their tune at the drop of a hat if we won 10 - 12 games a year? Lemme guess.... a vast majority?