KSU x 2

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@bwelbo ... to your question on why wild pitches are not errors? Wild pitches (pitchers fault) & passed balls (catchers fault) are not recorded as E's. However, if they result in runs... those from WPs are earned & those from PBs are unearned. It can get complicated in some cases & official scorer will "reconstruct" an inning to determine if runs are earned or unearned. (Ex... PB scores a run (usually unearned)... but next pitch is a HR, then the run likely is earned).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad we won; don't like making it interesting at the end. UM at 9-2 is not as likely to be generous like KS was last night in missing many opportunities.

Doesn't matter the sport - Referees are here to ruin the games.

Congrats on reaching my level of sarcasm. (y)

I like what CDH did though. He was able to save the pen and test Carpenter's resolve to finish the game off.

I love Bartnicki too. I know he struggled some tonight, but that kid's stuff is electric. He is going to be really good for us down the line.

Carpenter threw a lot of strikes in cold weather (36 of 56) - too bad one was a HR.

It was nice to see English get 3 hits tonight. He is slowly starting to find holes and get his hits.

I *hope* it is this year but *expect* it will be next year for Bartnicki to get control; along with summer ball. The season is so short.

@FredJacket - thanks for the 4PM start. Too bad it couldn't be even earlier; why do classes have to get in the way of baseball?

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Glad we won; don't like making it interesting at the end. UM at 9-2 is not as likely to be generous like KS was last night in missing many opportunities.

Congrats on reaching my level of sarcasm. (y)

I *hope* it is this year but *expect* it will be next year for Bartnicki to get control; along with summer ball. The season is so short.

@FredJacket - thanks for the 4PM start. Too bad it couldn't be even earlier; why do classes have to get in the way of baseball?
Hoping Bart can follow hurters pattern of development.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who saw Roedig's first two appearances, what should I expect? His numbers so far do not tell me a lot except that his stuff is not overpowering. Youtube video from '16 shows a bit of a disjointed delivery that may make his arm slot less repeatable than you'd like. Seems like sometimes he gets some run to arm side but may struggle to spot given the inconsistency?

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
For those who saw Roedig's first two appearances, what should I expect? His numbers so far do not tell me a lot except that his stuff is not overpowering. Youtube video from '16 shows a bit of a disjointed delivery that may make his arm slot less repeatable than you'd like. Seems like sometimes he gets some run to arm side but may struggle to spot given the inconsistency?

His first start was wild...3 BBs in either 1.1 or 1.2 innings. It did not look like he had control and CDH did not give him the time to work it out.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Roedig got the win and a post game interview with 7K in 5 innings... Maybe it's beginner's luck or maybe, just maybe CDH has a diamond in the rough. Roedig has four years to show us.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Roedig got the win and a post game interview with 7K in 5 innings... Maybe it's beginner's luck or maybe, just maybe CDH has a diamond in the rough. Roedig has four years to show us.
Roedig is going to be elite. He and Bartnicki are going to make a hell of a weekend combo next year. I expect both of them to struggle throughout the year, but they both have electric stuff. Throw in Hurter and our rotation will be awesome.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Roedig is by far our best Fr pitcher. Bartnicki got the press and may have more talent. But Roedig has done much better. 68 pitches 44 strikes; 65%. But what was really impressive was the 7 K in 5.1 innings. 1 BB and 1 HP.

Mannelly scared me in the fifth but got out unblemished with a nice play at home. He hurt himself pitching and we have to hope it isn't serious.

Chapman had good stuff mostly but got out of and into and then out of trouble. I was surprised to see Hughes in. He can relieve this weekend after only throwing 9 pitches. He has been much more consistent than Gibson.

Hitting is coming on hit .333 (11 of 33). No errors and several nice defensive plays that we haven't been making.

No we start playing for real. Time to see if we can win a road ACC series. How many years has it been? {:rhetorical}

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Roedig is by far our best Fr pitcher. Bartnicki got the press and may have more talent. But Roedig has done much better. 68 pitches 44 strikes; 65%. But what was really impressive was the 7 K in 5.1 innings. 1 BB and 1 HP.

Mannelly scared me in the fifth but got out unblemished with a nice play at home. He hurt himself pitching and we have to hope it isn't serious.

Chapman had good stuff mostly but got out of and into and then out of trouble. I was surprised to see Hughes in. He can relieve this weekend after only throwing 9 pitches. He has been much more consistent than Gibson.

Hitting is coming on hit .333 (11 of 33). No errors and several nice defensive plays that we haven't been making.

No we start playing for real. Time to see if we can win a road ACC series. How many years has it been? {:rhetorical}

Great summary, and time will tell. If the bats are hot, and the pitching is on then the sky is limit for GT. I'm watching Miami now btw...

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My thoughts exactly:

JJ Cooper Retweeted Georgia Tech Baseball

Georgia Tech is "Catching U." Jason Varitek, Matt Wieters, Joey Bart and now McCann. Nine home runs in 13 games.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts exactly:

Georgia Tech is "Catching U." Jason Varitek, Matt Wieters, Joey Bart and now McCann. Nine home runs in 13 games.
We have always had great catching. Even some of the guys who didn't make it in the pros were All-ACC caliber players for us (Haniger, Leonida, Evans).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My thoughts exactly:

And I think McCann threw out his first attempted steal this season. Great attempt, throw and catch by Austin on first base side to tag runner. McCann has the arm strength but as of yet isn't as accurate as Bart. Also Bart was more phenomenal at stopping wild pitches. Maybe there's a reason Bart was #2 in the draft.

McCann has had a lot of regular hits too. Average .388. 19 hits, 9 of which are HR. Even better 11 BB and 12 SO which is really good for a power hitter.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
And I think McCann threw out his first attempted steal this season. Great attempt, throw and catch by Austin on first base side to tag runner. McCann has the arm strength but as of yet isn't as accurate as Bart. Also Bart was more phenomenal at stopping wild pitches. Maybe there's a reason Bart was #2 in the draft.

McCann has had a lot of regular hits too. Average .388. 19 hits, 9 of which are HR. Even better 11 BB and 12 SO which is really good for a power hitter.
Bart receives, throws and blocks at an effortless MLB level, and he is a big dude. Ausmus and Molina were two of my favorite ever to watch catch a game, and Bart is close to that quality. He'll hit some homeruns, but he projects as a plus catcher now.

Hard to tell with McCann, but if he can just stay at catcher with this line, he will make money.