Knoxville Sentinal Calls for Vandy to Run the Option

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I happen to like our offense. It suits us.

Regardless of CPJ, I'd like to see us fullt commit to it. Recruit the coaches, players, etc to embed it. I am very concerned that our next coach, whoever it may be, will start from scratch.

Besides, sure is fun to watch those 50 yd runs and 40 yd pass plays.

Re Vandy, I honestly don't know how they recruit. TN isn't that great a region to recruit and I'm not sure V has a national recruiting effort. I suppose being in the SEC counts.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Vanderbilt's record during the CPJ era:

Year W- L
2008 7- 6
2009 2- 10
2010 2- 10
2011 6- 7
2012 9- 4
2013 9- 4
2014 3- 9
2015 4- 8
2016 5- 6
Total: 47-64 or 42% winning percentage

GT's record during same period
69-49 or 58% winning percentage

On this message board (or any other message board, for that matter), before anyone writes "we should fire CPJ", they should take a hard look at Vandy's success over the last decade. While I'd love for us to compete for a national championship as much as anybody, at this stage, that is not who we're going to be. Therefore, I'd much rather have a unique offense that, when executed correctly, can give most anybody a run for their money as opposed to what you see in Vandy's record above, which is 42% winning percentage, no conference championship appearances, no major bowl appearances, multiple coaches, and ~50% losing seasons over about a decade.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
...they should take a hard look at Vandy's success over the last decade.

Vanderbilt should have a better program. Honestly, I don't think they care. I think V is more content to be a Northwestern kind of school and if they win, fine. If they lose, fine.

I would hate that. How would you like to go to Wake Forest and hear Deacon Blues all the time? And that they suck. Talk about a confidence killer.

Tech would be awesome if we could sustain 8 wins a year, a bowl game, and occasionally ... when everything clicks ... maybe a 10 or 11 win season. Respectable.

I am more convinced that it's the AD than the coach that can help here. Todd starts next week.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just checked with a fellow fan ...

Vanderbilt lowered its academic standards to recruit better athletes. Allegedly, they lowered standards to meet normal SEC requirements.

I just don't see that happening at Tech.

Milwaukee

Banned
Vanderbilt's record during the CPJ era:

Year W- L
2008 7- 6
2009 2- 10
2010 2- 10
2011 6- 7
2012 9- 4
2013 9- 4
2014 3- 9
2015 4- 8
2016 5- 6
Total: 47-64 or 42% winning percentage

GT's record during same period
69-49 or 58% winning percentage

On this message board (or any other message board, for that matter), before anyone writes "we should fire CPJ", they should take a hard look at Vandy's success over the last decade. While I'd love for us to compete for a national championship as much as anybody, at this stage, that is not who we're going to be. Therefore, I'd much rather have a unique offense that, when executed correctly, can give most anybody a run for their money as opposed to what you see in Vandy's record above, which is 42% winning percentage, no conference championship appearances, no major bowl appearances, multiple coaches, and ~50% losing seasons over about a decade.

Comparing Georgia Tech to Vanderbilt is ridiculous.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Comparing Georgia Tech to Vanderbilt is ridiculous.

Why?

Both schools have strong academics and the struggles that come with it, similar number of students (size of school), both in the same geographic area (recruiting), both in power 5 conferences, both often overlooked within their conference/division (deservingly or un-deservingly), and play each other with some regularity. There are some differences for sure (public vs private, comment above on lowering standards, SEC East historically stronger than ACC Coastal, though that is growing more debatable, etc.), but overall, I can't think of a program that is structurally more like us.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I happen to like our offense. It suits us.

Regardless of CPJ, I'd like to see us fullt commit to it. Recruit the coaches, players, etc to embed it. I am very concerned that our next coach, whoever it may be, will start from scratch.

Besides, sure is fun to watch those 50 yd runs and 40 yd pass plays.

Re Vandy, I honestly don't know how they recruit. TN isn't that great a region to recruit and I'm not sure V has a national recruiting effort. I suppose being in the SEC counts.
great response!!!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Henest questions here, i don't know much about Vandy

Do they have high standards (test scores, gpa, etc) for accepting athletes into their school?

Do they give exceptions? Limits?

Do they have majors to hide fb players in?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Do they have high standards (test scores, gpa, etc) for accepting athletes into their school?

1.) yes
2.) yes, not sure the number though I know it's increased over the years since J.Franklin
3.) yes and no, numerous majors (90 plus) but Vandy's academics are not a joke in the least for SA i.e. no parks & rec type majors

Caveat, my step daughter is a honors grad from Vandy and my son was recruited there so I tend to give a positive look to Vandy.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Would be good for Vandy if they made the move. Throw cash at Ivan Jasper to come in as OC. Would probably hurt our recruiting a little though.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

They "used to" have high standards. They have lowered them to those of the other SEC schools so they can compete. It's not the Vandy from more than 10 years ago. In that respect, Tech and V are going in divergent paths.