Knoxville Sentinal Calls for Vandy to Run the Option

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of the same argument CPJ was making in a press conference the other week. Why do what everyone else does if you can't get the same players.

If Vandy stays with a conventional offense, maybe that can act as a way to determine if the GT offense negatively affects recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Navy's HC, Coach Ken (not even attempting the last name) was talked about as a candidate in 2010 before they hired James Franklin. They decided to go splashy and hired Franklin which worked out until Franklin used them as a stepping stone for the Penn State job (and took some of Vandys recruits on his way out).

Ivin Jasper talked about as a candidate after Franklin left, but they decided to go with Mason.

BTW...GA Southern should have totally hired Jasper for the job instead of Summers. Something about the flex-option in Statesboro.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Navy's HC, Coach Ken (not even attempting the last name) was talked about as a candidate in 2010 before they hired James Franklin. They decided to go splashy and hired Franklin which worked out until Franklin used them as a stepping stone for the Penn State job (and took some of Vandys recruits on his way out).

Ivin Jasper talked about as a candidate after Franklin left, but they decided to go with Mason.

BTW...GA Southern should have totally hired Jasper for the job instead of Summers. Something about the flex-option in Statesboro.

Sometimes I think the reason CPJ disdains the pistol/shotgun is because it's a gateway drug out of the option. GaSO went from the flex to the shotgun-zone and are now slowly becoming just another mediocre, generic team.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow

Particularly for a program which isn't a routine Top-20 football factory, and even moreso for a program which routinely wins zero to four games per season for several times in a decade, trying something contrarian, even updating something anitquarian makes sense. Do something which most other programs, particularly in your conference, aren't doing on offense. Sure, CPJ's option-based spread would be a possibility, but go back further. Wishbone. Single-wing. Triple-wing. (It's not like pieces of those generally forgotten systems haven't lived on. The direct snap concept is from the single wing. Empty backfield, just the QB? That's an old triple-wing look.) Some exceptionally fine coaches (e.g., Andy Kerr, Francis Schmidt) in the '30s encouraged their offensive players to do downfield laterals occasionally -- something which that crazy successful, never-punt/always onside-kick/always-go-for-it-on-4th-down Arkansas high school coach Kevin Kelley has done since 2015. It astounds me that the few college offenses with an under-center QB don't dust off the old "buck-lateral" series, which some T-formation coaches in the '50s adapted upon borrowing it from single-wing teams.

When Spurrier brought the Fun 'n Gun to the staid SEC in the '90s, from stretching the field to using that "Emory & Henry" formation for a radical change-up, he said this in 1995: "If you want to be successful," Spurrier told S.L. Price of Sports Illustrated in 1995, "you have to do it the way everybody does it and do it a lot better -- or you have to do it differently. I can't outwork anybody and I can't coach the off-tackle play better than anybody else. So I figured I'd try to coach some different ball plays, and instead of poor-mouthing my team, I'd try to build it up to the point where the players think, Coach believes we're pretty good; by golly, let's go prove it."

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes I think the reason CPJ disdains the pistol/shotgun is because it's a gateway drug out of the option.

Erm, maybe.

But Kirk Herbstreit hit the nail on the head as to why we run it under center vs. out of the shotgun when he was the analyst for our 2014 ACCCG. Wish I had PJ's mind to remember the exact quote, but it was basically, "GT's offense hits SO FAST when run under center, vs. those zone reads that take place 5 yards in the backfield from the shotgun".

There's a play I remember very vividly from the 2011 national championship game where Oregon tried to run midline from the shotgun. Darron Thomas and LaMichael James meshed for like 12 seconds in the backfield while Nick Fairley sat there and watched them and waited, waited, waited, then finally decided, "Aw, heck, I'll just tackle both of them" and wrapped them BOTH up for a big loss. That doesn't mean that shotgun option doesn't work, but to hotmagic's point about Spurrier, I'm glad we do it differently.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Shoot, I don't understand why there aren't 20 - 30 schools in the FBS running our thing. It works. It equalizes. It is fun to watch.

But, of course, I do know why they don't. Our O is hard to coach. Running the typical double option shotgun spread is really simple, almost to the point of being simple-minded. You don't really need anybody but a pretty good QB who can make one read and throw to an open WR. He doesn't have to be either tough or smart to do that either. In our O the QB is of vast importance and has to be both. They also have to work like demons to get the O engrained in their DNA when it comes to reads. It isn't easy - neither is running a sound pro style O, btw - and I think it discourages coaches and players alike. Best just go with a dead simple O and try to find a Johnny Football to run it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like Auburns version a lot.
I said what I did because Gus Malzhan actually made exactly the argument I'm making above when he was coaching high school. He runs the shotgun spread because it's dead simple to learn and coach; i.e. it makes minimal demands on both players and coaches. There are advantages to that at a place where you can get dang near anybody into school (like Awbun) but it has it's limits.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the link. The discussion there sounds just like our discussion here about "scheme."
Interestingly, I found this buried deep in the comments: "An example of the David side of aggressive defense is Jon Tenuta's Georgia Tech defenses--a bunch of small, barely recruited no names running a very aggressive defense very well and disrupting the other team."
Yeah, I want some of that...