Know Your Opponent: Virginia Tech

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling CPJ has this game circled, highlighted, checked, underlined and in bold face print. We've already seen specific work in both spring and fall camp aimed at countering VT's "blue print." It really comes down to execution and that is contingent on repetition. We're definitely getting the reps.

Agree this is big game for us ( we have had poor results since big win in 09 ) and for them (wins against us is high point for them in last few years).
They have had defensive schemes we could not counter. We need execute sure, but this year our coach needs to OUT COACH their coach . If they put 8-9 men in box we better have a plan - besides blaming execution. I think we will do both and we will win decisively.
They lost too much defensive cb talent that had field day last year against our weak WR . That switches this year and our senior AB payoff with good execution?

THWG

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Almost but not quite, VT was 3-1 when they faced us coming off of a 3OT game against Marshall. Granted they should have handled them easily but because they did pull out the W they had a bit of momentum.

Thanks. I genuinely couldn't remember.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Scheme wasn't a problem last year. Execution was. Those whip a gap blitzes took the whip out of the play more often than not IMO. But it did lead to a couple big plays (in part due to our lack of execution).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree this is big game for us ( we have had poor results since big win in 09 ) and for them (wins against us is high point for them in last few years).
They have had defensive schemes we could not counter. We need execute sure, but this year our coach needs to OUT COACH their coach . If they put 8-9 men in box we better have a plan - besides blaming execution. I think we will do both and we will win decisively.
They lost too much defensive cb talent that had field day last year against our weak WR . That switches this year and our senior AB payoff with good execution?

THWG

I don't understand, "besides blaming execution." What game planning doesn't require execution? Are you suggesting that we've been game planning too difficult schemes?

I hope you are correct, but I can't recall the last game against someone other than a cream puff team that we won "decisively". It certainly wasn't 2009 against the Hokies. That was a nail biter to the end. And that was our best team in the last 10 years. Maybe against Clemson in 2011.

THWG

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I really wish we would throw more slants. Not a whole lot, but in the spirit of keeping teams honest. My only conclusion as to why we don't is because the other D does not line up in a way where we feel like we can, or we pitch to the outside (and of course to the short side of the field). When we do pass we live and die by the chuck and pray deep ball.

We get carved up by slant routes by teams like UGA all the time. Most defenses have trouble with them. It would be nice to see us throw one here and here.
The slant route and crossing routes are almost impossible to defend. The rules are geared towards benefitting the WRs now a days. CPJ needs to recognize that and implement it into his offense. It wouldnt be difficult to send an AB or WR on a short route while leaving the BBACK as a safety valve. Plus if the play happens to break down... We now have a speedster who can take advantage of openings. Youve GOT to have a plan B for when things arent working how you had planned, or when you need to get down the field in a hurry.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand, "besides blaming execution." What game planning doesn't require execution? Are you suggesting that we've been game planning too difficult schemes?

In year 7 ideally we need to clearly be able to teach the offense and call the plays that can be executed. I think agree the coaches are in the execution boat and not just the players. Say they bring up 8 plus and send them and we are stopped dead like last year - because we block the scheme incorrectly. In a few plays they show the same - we have adjusted and are ready to block but they rush a different way and the play blows up. Would rather see on that next time they show this defense we adjust to a play or technique that throws them for a loop.
If offense is so Limitted that we can only run a minor blocking adjustment - we have a whole different can of fish.

Like I said coach will be ready.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

If you go back and watch the game film, you will see #17 for VT (Fuller) blitzing the gap regularly. He had our snap count timed perfectly. The adjustment is to change the snap count at the LOS. 6 false starts because you can't adjust to the new snap count is a lack of execution. It's also a game killer.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you go back and watch the game film, you will see #17 for VT (Fuller) blitzing the gap regularly. He had our snap count timed perfectly. The adjustment is to change the snap count at the LOS. 6 false starts because you can't adjust to the new snap count is a lack of execution. It's also a game killer.

I think the issue was execution rather than scheme, for the most part. I was responding to someone who was saying that was just an excuse.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the issue was execution rather than scheme, for the most part. I was responding to someone who was saying that was just an excuse.
I know we are not paying a coach to think up " change snap count" .
Each person has a set number of false starts above which it's not the players. I am at 3 . Perhaps I am too tough on the coaches.

But let's move on from the false starts and focus on what the coaches to bait the defense into a scheme that we are ready to exploit ( assuming no false start. ). Love to see some of the 2009 stuff - counters, reverses, etc - I think it was the play calling that kept the defense off balance AS WELL as great execution (timing of blocks, etc) by the players. Even in orange bowl against a very talented defense coach made adjustments to bring the game close.

With JT we have a quick qb that will make the timing of the plays crisper and much more difficult to defend.
Can't wait for season to start!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Each person has a set number of false starts above which it's not the players. I am at 3 . Perhaps I am too tough on the coaches.

But let's move on from the false starts and focus on what the coaches to bait the defense into a scheme that we are ready to exploit ( assuming no false start. ). Love to see some of the 2009 stuff - counters, reverses, etc - I think it was the play calling that kept the defense off balance AS WELL as great execution (timing of blocks, etc) by the players. Even in orange bowl against a very talented defense coach made adjustments to bring the game close.

With JT we have a quick qb that will make the timing of the plays crisper and much more difficult to defend.
Did you watch the spring game? Did you see the quick pitches Tim Byerly was executing to beat the blitzing gap shooters? It's nothing new. Execution.

That said, if it wasn't repped sufficiently, its on the coaches.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

On so many false starts: something that's happened in one game over 6 years hardly seems to be a coaching problem.

Both players and coaches said that vpis d did what was expected and both blamed execution. I don't mind blaming a coach when it makes sense, but come on. It doesn't make sense to me.

We had a better O in 2009, and VPI had a better D in 2013. Comparisons of play calls may be good bar room banter but trying to make some big point like you're being rational just seems odd.

Better Ds typically beat worse Os. Coaching can make a difference but the players have to have good games. 2013 wasn't great for either but I see player execution as the bigger problem.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The team was keyed up for their first big night game. You don't see WR and BB false starts very much.

This was one of the first games that I saw the gap blitzed so well timed to get to the QB at the snap. I think this put the team even more on edge.

We lost this game first by false starts and then net turnovers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On so many false starts: something that's happened in one game over 6 years hardly seems to be a coaching problem.

Both players and coaches said that vpis d did what was expected and both blamed execution. I don't mind blaming a coach when it makes sense, but come on. It doesn't make sense to me.

We had a better O in 2009, and VPI had a better D in 2013. Comparisons of play calls may be good bar room banter but trying to make some big point like you're being rational just seems odd.

Better Ds typically beat worse Os. Coaching can make a difference but the players have to have good games. 2013 wasn't great for either but I see player execution as the bigger problem.

I give up at 6 - you win = false starts in one game is the players fault with no issue at preparation or coaching adjustments during the game.

By way I was at VT game in 09 40th reunion - VT ranked 4 & and we tore down the goal posts.
You never knew what the next play would be.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone watch the scrimmage films? If you did you saw that JT, much to my delight, has indeed transformed himself into Keenan Reynolds. I think we will medium – sorry, ATL, not short – pass ourselves to victory against the Turkies this year. He was hitting rollouts like it was no tomorrow last Saturday. I also expect to see the occasionally bootleg this year. Combine that with Laskey and it looks like a long night in Blacksberg for the Gobblers.

I'm serious here. I've seldom been as encouraged by a practice film as I was last week.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
D
Did anyone watch the scrimmage films? If you did you saw that JT, much to my delight, has indeed transformed himself into Keenan Reynolds. I think we will medium – sorry, ATL, not short – pass ourselves to victory against the Turkies this year. He was hitting rollouts like it was no tomorrow last Saturday. I also expect to see the occasionally bootleg this year. Combine that with Laskey and it looks like a long night in Blacksberg for the Gobblers.

I'm serious here. I've seldom been as encouraged by a practice film as I was last week.

Could you please post a link to scrimmage films - would love to watch them.

I wonder if you noticed what % we run right?
Does JT look good rolling to left - I have only seen to right?
I am wondering if you noticed how JT rolls out with ball at ready and looking down field - he seems to really be able to wait till the receiver is beginning his break and still get the pass off quickly hitting the receiver as he is breaking open? Do you see that? To me that is very special and will only improve with time.

Past QB seemed to need guy wide open before throwing - ball and defender arrive at same time.

Coach has said he has quick release but has trouble seeing down field ( not as big deal on role outs ).

Like you I am excited about options off of the roll out as we play VT.

Thanks

Mack

Helluva Engineer
For the VT game, I think it is more important that we know ourselves. We gave the game away last year with sloppy play. The off-sides were on us; the jumping of the line was something we did compensate for after a quarter or so.

We have to beat VT to have a realistic shot at Coastal. VT and Miami games will pretty much determine if we are knocked out ...... we could win both and still lose to UNC and not make it. But win those two and we will all of a sudden be favorites.
I have predicted on many blogs we will win eight.......I have put VT in the leaning toward us bracket yet ole Frank aint no fool.Last year no offense but the hoss at qb and it seems he is going back to the run..If and when we beat them we will probably have a great year..........I feel like Miami and VT are better than we are but we play them tuff and we can win........