Knight transferring as grad transfer

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it just doesn't work out here for some SAs and they move on and have success. There's a myriad of reasons why things work out and don't work out. Lucas Johnson is a good example of someone who just couldn't catch a break here due to injury. He was twice in line to start (once under CPJ, once under Collins) but ended up getting injuries and someone else supplanted him. He transferred to San Diego and helped them to a good season last year. He's now at Montana and having a great season statistically and record wise (Montana is 4-0).

Can we just thank Knight for choosing us and helping us while he was here? No need to speculate on why he didn't play, or talk down on him. He represented GT well and I never heard a negative word about him. Let's wish him well on his future endeavors. He's graduating, so no matter where he goes he's going to be a Tech man.

Good luck, DK! Hope you have success wherever you end up.
I agree and my post above saying "I don't know what happened" was just that. He seemed to be really talented but over time seemed to see less of the field than I was expecting. I agree he is a great representation of the school and I'm glad he came to the Flats. I just wish he'd had a better HC while he was here (for his sake.)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You know I get such a kick out of posts like this. They give me a chance to post some, you know, evidence. Like, say:

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/g...us-knight-commitment-locust-grove-dual-threat

Then go to the film. I especially like the 99 yard TD that starts it. I think he would have ended up as a BB or QB. In the P5 offense Tech ran when the team was winning.
I loved PJ and his offense ok, there’s no reason to constantly be so defensive about that era, it’s over, PJ quit. Knight has speed yes but not sure if he had the agility or small-space acceleration type of speed needed to play rb. Whatever, I hope he succeeds wherever he lands at.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I loved PJ and his offense ok, there’s no reason to constantly be so defensive about that era, it’s over, PJ quit. Knight has speed yes but not sure if he had the agility or small-space acceleration type of speed needed to play rb. Whatever, I hope he succeeds wherever he lands at.
The thread is about Knight, not Paul. I said Knight would have done fine in the offense - the P5 offense - he was recruited for. I said that after a post that said he wasn't suited for QB or LB (correct there, perhaps) in a "P5 offense". I was defending Knight against what I thought was derogative post. He deserves more respect then that.

Nothing else.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
The thread is about Knight, not Paul. I said Knight would have done fine in the offense - the P5 offense - he was recruited for. I said that after a post that said he wasn't suited for QB or LB (correct there, perhaps) in a "P5 offense". I was defending Knight against what I thought was derogative post. He deserves more respect then that.

Nothing else.
Ok…let me put this subject to bed. I have seen every high school game he’s ever played. This kid has played every position except center and kicker/punter. Prior to his freshman year of HS he was a RB… averaging 4-5 TDs a game, he has the arm to be a QB in a P5 and is VERY agile(there’s video proof to this). Also played strong safety and LB. Fast forward..he had 11 tackles in this years spring game and knows the play book VERY WELL and learned other positions to boot. The problem wasn’t that he wasn’t good enough, the problem was he didn’t possess the image that the coaches was looking for. The skill set is there but (Thacker..CGC) had their guys, needles to say they are Seniors #1#2..but when #1 comes out they put ace’s backup in instead of knight(who was Charlie’s back up)..TWICE!! and he was asked to show Tatum how to play the position which was a slap in the face.. had NOTHING to do with his ability to play the position he was just not fairly given the opportunity he was promised. So people wanna keep saying he wasn’t good enough or he didn’t have the skill set or he wasn’t a good enough QB (yeah they black balled him there too)..you don’t know what you’re speaking about and it’s not just because you don’t know but it’s because he didn’t get to fully show what he’s capable of..and I’m sure by now you know who I am and yes I’m very proud of him for looking past the way he was being treated and putting the team before himself, he’s making the right decision to leave the program after graduating because he CAN and wants to play. His name is gettin noticed in the portal so he will have a chance to prove to everyone who undermined him..GTfans and coaches that he can, is and will be a difference maker from here on to the next level…DK.Sr out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok…let me put this subject to bed. I have seen every high school game he’s ever played. This kid has played every position except center and kicker/punter. Prior to his freshman year of HS he was a RB… averaging 4-5 TDs a game, he has the arm to be a QB in a P5 and is VERY agile(there’s video proof to this). Also played strong safety and LB. Fast forward..he had 11 tackles in this years spring game and knows the play book VERY WELL and learned other positions to boot. The problem wasn’t that he wasn’t good enough, the problem was he didn’t possess the image that the coaches was looking for. The skill set is there but (Thacker..CGC) had their guys, needles to say they are Seniors #1#2..but when #1 comes out they put ace’s backup in instead of knight(who was Charlie’s back up)..TWICE!! and he was asked to show Tatum how to play the position which was a slap in the face.. had NOTHING to do with his ability to play the position he was just not fairly given the opportunity he was promised. So people wanna keep saying he wasn’t good enough or he didn’t have the skill set or he wasn’t a good enough QB (yeah they black balled him there too)..you don’t know what you’re speaking about and it’s not just because you don’t know but it’s because he didn’t get to fully show what he’s capable of..and I’m sure by now you know who I am and yes I’m very proud of him for looking past the way he was being treated and putting the team before himself, he’s making the right decision to leave the program after graduating because he CAN and wants to play. His name is gettin noticed in the portal so he will have a chance to prove to everyone who undermined him..GTfans and coaches that he can, is and will be a difference maker from here on to the next level…DK.Sr out.
Thanks for posting this. I have always wanted to ask this question of someone closer to the process than myself. In retrospect, do you think it would have been better for Demetrius to focus and play just one position in HS? I ask this question bc, over many years and through various coaching changes, I have seen a lot of really quality athletes who were recruited as that ("athlete") who just could not find a home on the field. I get that personalities and coaches can be part of that dynamic but it seems like these guys are competing against other players with equal physical talent who have only played one position (LB, safet, WR, etc.) since middle school and are farther along on the learning curve. I welcome any insight you might have and congrats to your son...wish him the best after graduation. However things unfold I am sure he will not regret having a GT diploma further on down the line. Regards.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this hits on what might have been Collins's biggest failing: he wanted players who fit his image of what kind of player would deliver wins. This led to a variety of really bad personnel decisions. I've already asked what Oliver, perhaps the most talented runner on the team (except Demetrious, perhaps), was doing at WR, then DB. Well, he just didn't fit.

There's no doubt that the guy could get players, but I don't think he had a good idea of how to use them if he hadn't recruited them. And good athletes who could have helped us win games sat on the pines or were misused. I hope Knight can find someone who has their eyes open enough to see the talent they are getting.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I had said elsewhere that when I saw Demetrius had decided to enter the portal I could completely understand given what he's gone through. The fact that he's been able to have success off the field at a place like GT considering all the turmoil within the football program that he's gone through is amazing. I struggled to get through GT without having all of those things to deal with so big respect to him. I will continue to root for him wherever he goes and continue to appreciate everything he's sacrificed.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Probably depends on the circumstance, like your suggesting. If he just knows he will be graduating and not staying at Tech, and just wants to go ahead and get his name out there because he needs to look at grad programs, I don't really see an issue letting him continue to play if he can still be 100% committed.
He can't be 100% committed if he is looking to leave, can he?

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
I had said elsewhere that when I saw Demetrius had decided to enter the portal I could completely understand given what he's gone through. The fact that he's been able to have success off the field at a place like GT considering all the turmoil within the football program that he's gone through is amazing. I struggled to get through GT without having all of those things to deal with so big respect to him. I will continue to root for him wherever he goes and continue to appreciate everything he's sacrificed.
My friend you are a stand up Gentleman. I know he would appreciate the integrity of your comments and support. Thank you.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He can't be 100% committed if he is looking to leave, can he?
I was thinking of it more from the perspective of his possible non-football playing future since he is graduating. If he wants to get a specific grad degree Tech doesn't offer, or he does not get admitted to the grad program at Tech, then no matter how much he loves playing for Tech he knows he won't be here next year. He needs to apply for grad school elsewhere and if he wants to get it paid for by his football abilities, he needs to enter the transfer portal to speak with the coaches of those other schools' teams to see what those possibilities are.

Obviously his dad has since chimed in and feels DK hasnt gotten a fair shot, so I'm likely wrong. Was just throwing out a possible explanation.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for posting this. I have always wanted to ask this question of someone closer to the process than myself. In retrospect, do you think it would have been better for Demetrius to focus and play just one position in HS? I ask this question bc, over many years and through various coaching changes, I have seen a lot of really quality athletes who were recruited as that ("athlete") who just could not find a home on the field. I get that personalities and coaches can be part of that dynamic but it seems like these guys are competing against other players with equal physical talent who have only played one position (LB, safet, WR, etc.) since middle school and are farther along on the learning curve. I welcome any insight you might have and congrats to your son...wish him the best after graduation. However things unfold I am sure he will not regret having a GT diploma further on down the line. Regard, you can’t beat a GT Degree I appreciate you. Thank you
Thanks for posting this. I have always wanted to ask this question of someone closer to the process than myself. In retrospect, do you think it would have been better for Demetrius to focus and play just one position in HS? I ask this question bc, over many years and through various coaching changes, I have seen a lot of really quality athletes who were recruited as that ("athlete") who just could not find a home on the field. I get that personalities and coaches can be part of that dynamic but it seems like these guys are competing against other players with equal physical talent who have only played one position (LB, safet, WR, etc.) since middle school and are farther along on the learning curve. I welcome any insight you might have and congrats to your son...wish him the best after graduation. However things unfold I am sure he will not regret having a GT diploma further on down the line. Regards.
I agree. A GT degree you can’t do any better than that in my opinion. The school he went to was a small school they didn’t have athletic athletes. He was asked and willing to play wherever the coach needed him to but his journey really started when he played running back And they actually won a championship because of him but his passion was quarterback the only reason he play running back was because they didn’t have one strong enough to carry the load but however he went back to his passion which was quarterback and took his school to the first ever playoff game. But again he ended up playing receiver the following year and then back to quarterback his senior year. He played a lot of defense as a matter of fact he never came off the field he played all 4qtrs on both sides of the ball and he did this for four years straight so he is truly is an athlete and I totally agree with you, him being an athlete enabled him some what because he has many skill sets and used them to the fullest. That alone caught the eyes and attention of other NCAA programs such as army navy Purdue Utah Illinois Tennessee Temple Furman Oklahoma Miami Louisville Yale and of course Georgia Tech even Georgia showed some interest… but however I think this is the best decision for him. He loves and I mean he absolutely loves Georgia Tech his teammates and all his friends and the fans and I can truly say it’s the fans he’s going to miss the most because even when he wasn’t doing anything but just special team kick offs he would always show love towards the fans every single time. So thank you for your supporting him he’s a great young man AND A HELLOVA ENGINEER!!

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking of it more from the perspective of his possible non-football playing future since he is graduating. If he wants to get a specific grad degree Tech doesn't offer, or he does not get admitted to the grad program at Tech, then no matter how much he loves playing for Tech he knows he won't be here next year. He needs to apply for grad school elsewhere and if he wants to get it paid for by his football abilities, he needs to enter the transfer portal to speak with the coaches of those other schools' teams to see what those possibilities are.

Obviously his dad has since chimed in and feels DK hasnt gotten a fair shot, so I'm likely wrong. Was just throwing out a possible explanation.
Just doing what any father would do. Yes.. he is in the portal and will not be returning to the flats. I can’t reveal any info on that(portal contacts)but he is getting a lot of follows and interests. It’s looking good for him so far. God is with him.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry he was not given the opportunity to prove himself on the field. I am sure it must have been frustrating for him to stand on the sideline for the entire Pitt game while #1 was suspended for the first half. I am not sure why he did not even get a single snap on defense despite being #1's backup on the depth chart. Please wish your son the best and thank him for this time at Tech. He represented the school with class and dignity.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry he was not given the opportunity to prove himself on the field. I am sure it must have been frustrating for him to stand on the sideline for the entire Pitt game while #1 was suspended for the first half. I am not sure why he did not even get a single snap on defense despite being #1's backup on the depth chart. Please wish your son the best and thank him for this time at Tech. He represented the school with class and dignity.
Thank you. I will be sure to let him know. What happened to him unfortunately is part of the game (and I don’t mean football). He remained humble which is something I’ve always told him to be no matter what happened in his life good or bad. Appreciate you and thanks again.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Everything I have seen about D Knight, and for that matter, many of our SA's is that they are upstanding young men. The rigors that they go through are incredible, and they have my respect.

Always cheer for the brave men and women who choose to represent the Institute. We all know "It ain't easy".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He's graduating. For that, I wish him the best wherever he ends up, unless it's playing against us. Sometimes it just doesn't work out the way it might should. These are good life lessons, although they suck at the time.