Kirby Syndrome or Syracuse Envy?

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's just coincidence that our two worst showings on offense were played on a marsh in a storm. It didn't help that they were against the two best defenses we've faced as well.
Could be. Too many variables for sure. Hopefully we'll have dry fields for VT and georgia... Or maybe not if we get that whole "running the option on a wet field" thing figured out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
GT needs to change if GT is going to compete. This means more money. I am not sure if CPJ would go fire all his coaches if he got the green light to hire anyone he wanted. I'll cross that bridge if that bridge is ever built. But for now, CPJ gives us a better record than any school with our budget. I don't think there are many schools with our budget and GT's limitations that are outperforming GT.

I think you are absolutely 100% correct in that assessment. And I am NOT an option fan boy. I just happen to think just about ANY GT coach would be having the same problems CPJ and company are having, and do think that we are outperforming our class as far as resources and academics are concerned. I takes more commitment from GT, and more money. Here's hoping both can occur.

Once those two are in place, then (and ONLY then) can reasonable arguments be meaningful about this coach or that...otherwise, we're just kidding ourselves.

oh, and full disclosure, I *do* like Syracuse's offense, but would rather not trade places with them in any other way. (it is WAY too cold up there for my tastes!)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's just coincidence that our two worst showings on offense were played on a marsh in a storm. It didn't help that they were against the two best defenses we've faced as well.

Both the opposing teams u site, passed at will o n sideline routes . A bad pass goes out of bounds.

With the invention of gloves for pass receivers , pass receiving sucess rate has improved. Imo in the rain its way better than it used to be. On plays that go out of bounds they get a dry ball. Lots of pluses to having passing game.

On our a b pitch or rocket toss the back often has to catch ball just before contact and make cut on wet field. Clearly this is a disadvantage of our offense.

Need a giant o t like Erin Joe in 14 to just line up and blow them off line. then after they adjust go wide.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I do not have Kirby or suckacuse envy. I’m just calling out what I see on this board all the time about academics being the center of our evils. Smart kids play football ie Sean Bedford. What I don’t see from GT is us finding very many of these smart kids.
The inquisitive part of my nature wonders why that is while the snarky part notes he wound up far from the confines of aeronautical engineering and went to law school...(Lawyers please note: I did admit to the snarky part now.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is something interesting about offense style. I've read elsewhere that NFL coaches are having issues with O Linemen coming in from spread teams and not knowing how to play. They are so used to quick schemes that they can't pass block. It's not a conference thing either. It's common everywhere.
Mason seemed to adapt very quickly according to whatshisname.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Look at what Andy Reid at Kansas City and now Bill O'Brien is doing at Houston. Both have implemented "college" schemes into their offense. KC is obliterating everyone, and O'Brien is making rookie DeShaun Watson a world beater with the same concepts Watson was using at Clemson. You could say the same for Belichick at New England incorporating Leach's 4 Verts passing schemes years ago.

The NFL has a problem with innovation. No one wants to try anything until someone else does it successfully first. Look at every big offensive concept that has been used in the past decade or so: Wildcat, read option, RPO, Air Raid concepts...on and on. Once one coach uses it to beat someone, no one else is willing to do it. But once it's used, everyone wants to do it.

I really wish an NFL team would take a chance on CPJ or Coach Ken at Navy. The NFL wouldn't know what to do with someone like CPJ who gets 40 full hours a week with his players, and more time to work on passing.
I like the way these QBs are being used and Watson particularly is effective. At the same time, though, I do wonder how long it will be before some humonguous linebacker tracking Watson across the field catches him cutting back and separates the top half from the bottom half. There is just a huge risk involved with a very expensive player. (Not to mention hard to replace.) As for Watson himself, the very thought that two other QBs, including one benchwarmer, were picked ahead of him speaks volumes about the league intellect.

jacob

Banned
When Paul is gone, a lot of GT people are going to be wishing he was still here. Like the old cliché goes: You don't know what you got till it's gone. We are literally one wrong head coach away from being Vanderbilt. Sad, but true.
Nobody is calling for CPJ to be fired. Some including me aren't happy being 4-3 right now.

I think you are absolutely 100% correct in that assessment. And I am NOT an option fan boy. I just happen to think just about ANY GT coach would be having the same problems CPJ and company are having, and do think that we are outperforming our class as far as resources and academics are concerned. I takes more commitment from GT, and more money. Here's hoping both can occur.

Once those two are in place, then (and ONLY then) can reasonable arguments be meaningful about this coach or that...otherwise, we're just kidding ourselves.

oh, and full disclosure, I *do* like Syracuse's offense, but would rather not trade places with them in any other way. (it is WAY too cold up there for my tastes!)

We once ran an offense like Syracuse runs. The head coach was Bill Lewis. Need I say more.

I’ve seen bad coaches with loads of talent lose some inexplicable games. I’ve also seen good coaches with less talent win a lot games. It happens it’s football. Just stop trying to make excuses or start attempting to change the process. That’s all I’m saying as a fan.
Our win against Georgia in 2008 was inexplicable. Preseason #1, so talented thru the first 40 players, and we hadn't won in 8 years.