Killer Instinct

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We always seem to do poor on 3rd down, since 2010 anyway. Idk the stat, but im always very uncomfortable on 3rd down even if its 3rd and 15. If we can change this stat we would be alot better. Is our play calling different on 3rd down? Are we too conservative? Or is the players just losing focus? Oh and heaven forbid somebody go for it on 4th down

Animal02

Banned
In a way, I think that yesterday was good for the young guys. We saw JT take the team on his shoulders and refuse to give up. I think the entire team learned that they need to never let up. We need to put our foot on the gas and play all out until the game is over. The end of that game was an epic like Nesbitt ending.

Heisman knew that 98 years ago ;)
At halftime, the score was 126-0.
Heisman’s halftime pep talk:
“We’re ahead, but you just can’t tell what those Cumberland players have up their sleeves. They may spring a surprise. Be alert, men.”

Gojackets55

Banned
I disagree.We are now on par in talent with a BRAND NEW D1 team that came VERY close to beating us at home .It is not like we curb stomped our other 2 powerful opponents.We flat out don't have the talent,size,speed,experience on DEF to win conference games vs decent teams unless the Off is prepared to score 40 every game..
I have a hard time understanding you. Soooo did we have talent in the first half? Because it sure looked that way. I guess I'm missing your point because they did not physically dominate us nor has the other two teams on our schedule. So please explain to me what you mean. Thanks

Gojackets55

Banned
I disagree.We are now on par in talent with a BRAND NEW D1 team that came VERY close to beating us at home .It is not like we curb stomped our other 2 powerful opponents.We flat out don't have the talent,size,speed,experience on DEF to win conference games vs decent teams unless the Off is prepared to score 40 every game..
You also kind of contradict yourself. You say "we are now on par talent wise with a brand new D1 team." But then say " our defense doesn't have the talent unless the offense is prepared to score 40 every game." So you're saying we have talent it's just not on the defensive side? Expand for me

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
So, to be clear, you're seriously saying that when you called the game a "trap game on steroids," you were predicting Southern would go into the half 25 pts down in order to sucker GT to sleep?

FWIW, I didn't understand you that way. I was saying that GT would come out ready to play, and they did.
nope not at all. but, anyone that has watched GT in the CPJ era knows full well his team will lose focus when they need to put the pedal to the metal against supposed inferior teams. GS teams have a history of playing FBS opponents strong and don't quit. hence, my feeling that this was a "trap game on steroids". why in the world does CPJ call all those pass plays at the end of the 1st half when GT could most likely go with bread and butter run game and score another TD in a few plays and really put the game outta reach? Guess he thought it was "practice time" for JT's arm? Or, he thought the game was in the bag. Too bad football games are two halves.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
nope not at all. but, anyone that has watched GT in the CPJ era knows full well his team will lose focus when they need to put the pedal to the metal against supposed inferior teams. GS teams have a history of playing FBS opponents strong and don't quit. hence, my feeling that this was a "trap game on steroids". why in the world does CPJ call all those pass plays at the end of the 1st half when GT could most likely go with bread and butter run game and score another TD in a few plays and really put the game outta reach? Guess he thought it was "practice time" for JT's arm? Or, he thought the game was in the bag. Too bad football games are two halves.

Because of the Trey Braun holding penalty.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
that definitely hurt. but, no need to sling the ball around when you're running over a team, IMO. keep the pedal down.

I think passing was the right call in that situation (and I rarely say that, in fact if we pass on first down again my head may explode)...Not a ton of time and 20 yards to get a first down. Had guys open but didn't convert.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I think passing was the right call in that situation (and I rarely say that, in fact if we pass on first down again my head may explode)...Not a ton of time and 20 yards to get a first down. Had guys open but didn't convert.

They guys were open most of the day. Before that last drive of the 1st half JT was like 7 of 8 and 131 yards. JT missed a couple of guys at the end and in the second, he finally got it under control. If the OPP D loads the box with 8 like Southern or even 9...you need to convert those opportunities and throw with one on one coverage. They had 8 in the box almost all day and we still ran on them.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
When was the last time Tech fell behind by 25 points and then came back to take the lead because the other team lost focus? Several times in recent years, I have seen Tech gain a big lead and then lose it. I can't recall the last time Tech has been the beneficiary of another team's failure to maintain focus after that team has gained a 25-point lead. If this kind of event were fairly commonplace, you would expect Tech to have experienced the positive side of that kind of comeback at least once. The closest thing I can think of was the comeback against Georgia in Johnson's first year, but it wasn't of this magnitude, and there was not the same difference in talent level between Tech and UGA as there is between Tech and Southern. This event should not be characterized as a commonplace event. It should set off all kinds of alarm bells.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

+1. The only exception was last year where we beat Elon 70-0 and Syracuse 56-0. Look where it got us.

I didn't expect GS to come back as strong in the second half. But their O was rested and they played loose and had nothing to lose. Playing someone with nothing to lose is always more dangerous. Any more GT/GS games in our future?

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
When was the last time Tech fell behind by 25 points and then came back to take the lead because the other team lost focus? Several times in recent years, I have seen Tech gain a big lead and then lose it. I can't recall the last time Tech has been the beneficiary of another team's failure to maintain focus after that team has gained a 25-point lead. If this kind of event were fairly commonplace, you would expect Tech to have experienced the positive side of that kind of comeback at least once. The closest thing I can think of was the comeback against Georgia in Johnson's first year, but it wasn't of this magnitude, and there was not the same difference in talent level between Tech and UGA as there is between Tech and Southern. This event should not be characterized as a commonplace event. It should set off all kinds of alarm bells.

Georgia game in 2008 we came back in lightening fashion to win that game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When was the last time Tech fell behind by 25 points and then came back to take the lead because the other team lost focus? ......... This event should not be characterized as a commonplace event. It should set off all kinds of alarm bells.

True, but we got it together and came back to win. There were games like this in 2009 I think. That is what I am hoping we have; but statistically it is more likely that we struggled at some point of the game to beat three of the weakest teams on our schedule.

If I were crazy enough to bet on CFB, I agree that no covering the spread sets off alarm bells no matter the path the score has taken. But especially when a large lead is lost to a 19 point underdog. This should be factored into the Vegas spread for future games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

To start I'm trying to remember the last time we were down 25. Can you please list the examples and at what point in the game we were down 25? It'd be hard for us to overcome a lead of that magnitude if we've rarely if ever been in the position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You enjoy setting off alarm bells and I'll enjoy the football season.

Gojackets55

Banned
May have not been 25 but 2008 uga game