Khalid Moore in the Transfer Portal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What does he mean by this? Moore played a lot of minutes for us

He was a low usage guy. There's a formula to calculate it, which includes stuff like field goal attempts.

High minutes doesn't necessarily mean high usage.

slugboy

Staff member
He was a low usage guy. There's a formula to calculate it, which includes stuff like field goal attempts.

High minutes doesn't necessarily mean high usage.
https://captaincalculator.com/sports/basketball/usage-rate

Definition – What is “Usage Rate” is basketball?​

Usage Rate is the number of possessions a player uses every 40 minutes of play.

Formula – How to calculate Usage Rate​

Usage Rate = ( (Field Goal Attempts + (0.44 x Free Throw Attempts) + (o.33 x Assists) + Turnovers) x 40 x League Pace ) ÷ (Minutes Played x Team Pace)

There's always a formula ;)
(well not always, but there are a ton of formulas)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
https://captaincalculator.com/sports/basketball/usage-rate

Definition – What is “Usage Rate” is basketball?​

Usage Rate is the number of possessions a player uses every 40 minutes of play.

Formula – How to calculate Usage Rate​

Usage Rate = ( (Field Goal Attempts + (0.44 x Free Throw Attempts) + (o.33 x Assists) + Turnovers) x 40 x League Pace ) ÷ (Minutes Played x Team Pace)

There's always a formula ;)
(well not always, but there are a ton of formulas)
I had never spent time thinking about how to quantify this.. had heard it and it always just passed through from one ear, out the other, without engaging active thought. Interesting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There's different language, in basketball parlance, for that. "Usage" refers to offense only.

Use the right words, o, and thank me later for making you more basketball savvy.
As a former player my view is the game is played inside 94 feet. Both ends are part of the whole and a player's value can't be restricted to one end.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As a former player my view is the game is played inside 94 feet. Both ends are part of the whole and a player's value can't be restricted to one end.

Ok, I gotta be honest, when I read this my first thought was "uh oh, we're dealin' with a bad a**" :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Mr. Naismith.

Anyways, this isn't what we're talking about. I was simply answering the poster's question. The answer is 'usage' refers to offense only. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't.

As an aside, I do not subscribe to all these metrics in telling me what I'm seeing on the basketball court so we agree more than disagree here.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Usage doesn't determine value. It determines usage. It's a stat with a defined meaning that is meant to measure one aspect of a player. It's no different than FG% or A/T ratio in that regard.

Value comes from the interpretation of the stats.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok, I gotta be honest, when I read this my first thought was "uh oh, we're dealin' with a bad a**" :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Mr. Naismith.

Anyways, this isn't what we're talking about. I was simply answering the poster's question. The answer is 'usage' refers to offense only. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't.

As an aside, I do not subscribe to all these metrics in telling me what I'm seeing on the basketball court so we agree more than disagree here.
I had never heard the term "usage" before this this thread. I agree that some of the metrics seem out of step with the game, but my comment was not meant as anything personal. If my wording was inelegant, or wrong, my lack awareness is the culprit. My apologies are offered.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Usage doesn't determine value. It determines usage. It's a stat with a defined meaning that is meant to measure one aspect of a player. It's no different than FG% or A/T ratio in that regard.

Value comes from the interpretation of the stats.
Thanks for the explanation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I had never heard the term "usage" before this this thread. I agree that some of the metrics seem out of step with the game, but my comment was not meant as anything personal. If my wording was inelegant, or wrong, my lack awareness is the culprit. My apologies are offered.

No, I never take anything on her personally.

You don't endure the completely unwarranted, unadulterated, and unprecedented attacks on my ice cream choices without thick skin, sir.

No apologies necessary.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had never spent time thinking about how to quantify this.. had heard it and it always just passed through from one ear, out the other, without engaging active thought. Interesting.
I also had to look this up. After four years of HS basketball and two in college, I wondered how this escaped me.

So, Khalid was not the focus of our offense? That is essentially what this number says. Surprised? He did not take as many shots or free throws or commit turnovers (well, maybe this) as Devoe or Sturdivant. That was not his role. To my way of looking at basketball this is a worthless number. It says more about how the coaches built the team than his ability. But, I relent. His Usg% is not great.