Khalid Moore in the Transfer Portal

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was expected.

Not surprising...would not surprise me at all if the staff "gently" told him to pursue opportunities even if he could have returned and provided some leadership. I think it's time to turn the page with the Devoe/Usher/Moore/Parham/Alvarado/Moses group accomplishing all they could for us...with the latter two already in the NBA. The young guys need their own identity and room to grow.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not surprising...would not surprise me at all if the staff "gently" told him to pursue opportunities even if he could have returned and provided some leadership. I think it's time to turn the page with the Devoe/Usher/Moore/Parham/Alvarado/Moses group accomplishing all they could for us...with the latter two already in the NBA. The young guys need their own identity and room to grow.

Not that I want to argue. I mean we both know, in a battle of wits, one of us is unarmed. :sneaky:

But them being 'ok' with him leaving runs counter to the whole GOSO strategy, no? Unless they have experienced portal bodies lined up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But them being 'ok' with him leaving runs counter to the whole GOSO strategy, no? Unless they have experienced portal bodies lined up.

In part yes, but GOSO is still just one aspect of team comp. You want experience, but the problem with Khalid has always been the lack of offense. When we had Mike, Jose, Moses, and Ush it was okay because those four allowed for a true non scoring threat to still be good. Next year, while a line up of Kyle, Deebo, Myles, and Rodney could potentially have 4 solid or better scorers it probably wouldn't be enough for Khalid's weakness to not be a sticking point. So while you may want experience, him transferring may make the decision easier to go with Jalon at the 4 for example.

Or, another way of looking at it is with or without Khalid we're likely looking for a more offensive threat at the 4 spot in the portal, and if we land that he'd be a good defensive piece off the bench, but I don't think he'd be a starter over Myles or Deebo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not that I want to argue. I mean we both know, in a battle of wits, one of us is unarmed. :sneaky:

I think KMoore's value is with his defense and "intangibles". However, in his 4th year, he averaged 5.2 pts, and 3.4 rebs. He had more TOs than assists. Not trying to knock him or downplay his contributions, as he had quite a few games he played well above his average and did things off the stat sheets to help us win...but I think we all know his ceiling. He is never going to be an Usher or Moses Wright type for us...a guy you can pretty much count on us getting high level production night in and night out from. Not to trivialize Moore's contributions, but I think the staff feels we can replace it with someone already on the roster, or someone through the portal.

"Get old, stay old" doesn't mean we hold on to everyone we can, it just means our "A" guys come in and develop within our program. Role players are important, by they are role players for a reason. Next year, Sturdy and Howard will have 3 years in our program. Maxwell, if he returns, will also have 3 years. Kelly, Coleman, Moore, Meka, Smith will have 2 years in our program. There's enough talent and position flexibility that a guy like Moore can be replaced.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I would prefer Moore to be on the team. Whether we get a grad transfer and/or a young gun steps up, Moore is going to be better than our 10-13 slots on the bench. Probably a starter again next year and no worse than a material minutes contributor. He knows our defenses too, which is not easy for anyone to walk right into.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would prefer Moore to be on the team. Whether we get a grad transfer and/or a young gun steps up, Moore is going to be better than our 10-13 slots on the bench. Probably a starter again next year and no worse than a material minutes contributor. He knows our defenses too, which is not easy for anyone to walk right into.

Heh, can we just make a random joke without touchin' off a firefite?

If the answer is 'yes' then I'd say there are a couple teams, who gave us some easy L's, that disagree that our defense is easy for anyone to walk right into. :sneaky:

Oh come on, just laugh people.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I agree with rather having him on the team than not. I think he would be a very valuable defensive tool for us to throw at some great players.

But from a coaching standpoint I can see why it might make things simpler for him to move on. If he's on the team there would be a constant question of do we play him for his experience and defense or one of the younger guys for the offensive potential. Now it's better to have the option than not, but IMO the key to success next year is for us to find a way for the 2,3, and 4 spots to do a lot of heavy lifting scoring wise. I think Howard and Sturdy can be solid contributors, but not enough to allow for us to run as offensively limited a player as Khalid is. With out Moore, the question is moot. You go with the young guys, which would probably lead to more mistakes, but may also be the path that gives us the best chance at making the tournament, and I'm not sure if Pastner would pull that trigger if Moore was an option.

In short, it may be that we need to take the risk, and Moore transferring makes us more likely to go for the risk rather than the safer play. But again, the best case would be for him to return and to be an option, and if the best play is to play someone else we just do that.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Khalid, but I think he has done what he can here and it is better for each party that he broaden his horizons, move on and learn from a different set of coaches. And for our program, it is time we use his scholarship to change the composition of this roster, which, as it is, is not serving us very well. There are problems to fix and, frankly, we need the 'ship.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm a little sad to see this, even though it makes sense to me. He showed potential as a young player but didn't turn into a starter. We really need a strong player at the 5, and I don't think he's going to take on that role, and having an additional slot makes it easy to find that player. He's not going to take over where Usher left off.

Still, I'll miss seeing him on the court.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just hope he graduates which I assume he will. Rather he would stay. He has been a solid player for us and is experienced. Wish him well regardless. Probably ready to move on with his other seniors.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with rather having him on the team than not. I think he would be a very valuable defensive tool for us to throw at some great players.

But from a coaching standpoint I can see why it might make things simpler for him to move on. If he's on the team there would be a constant question of do we play him for his experience and defense or one of the younger guys for the offensive potential. Now it's better to have the option than not, but IMO the key to success next year is for us to find a way for the 2,3, and 4 spots to do a lot of heavy lifting scoring wise. I think Howard and Sturdy can be solid contributors, but not enough to allow for us to run as offensively limited a player as Khalid is. With out Moore, the question is moot. You go with the young guys, which would probably lead to more mistakes, but may also be the path that gives us the best chance at making the tournament, and I'm not sure if Pastner would pull that trigger if Moore was an option.

In short, it may be that we need to take the risk, and Moore transferring makes us more likely to go for the risk rather than the safer play. But again, the best case would be for him to return and to be an option, and if the best play is to play someone else we just do that.

Just to piggy back off this, I went back to check his production this season. Khalid had 20 games where he scored 5 or fewer points, and just 3 games with double figure points.

He had 23 games where his rebound total was less than 5, 8 games where it was 5 or more.

As I said previously, Khalid's value was on the defensive and providing an "intangible" presence, but he would have been a "nice to have" presence next season, not a need to have.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like Khalid, but I think he has done what he can here and it is better for each party that he broaden his horizons, move on and learn from a different set of coaches. And for our program, it is time we use his scholarship to change the composition of this roster, which, as it is, is not serving us very well. There are problems to fix and, frankly, we need the 'ship.
I agree. He's fulfilled his obligation. Go spend a year somewhere else. Who knows, maybe he ends up in coaching. The exposure and experience with another team would be valuable. He has skills that would be beneficial to this team next year, but if him being here takes minutes from Jalen Moore or some of the other young guys, that may be more detrimental than beneficial. I think we have leadership without him. Good luck to him wherever he lands. (If he doesn't land somewhere else, I would not have a problem with Pastner bringing him back)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Entirely possible that Jermontae Hill is just a productive for us next year as Khalid Moore was this year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I think J Moore is more likely to fill K Moore's spot than Hill.

I have assumed all the SR are gone, so this is not surprising and not really disappointing. I actually could see him catching on at a pretty good program where they need a defense and intangibles type guy.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I think J Moore is more likely to fill K Moore's spot than Hill.

I have assumed all the SR are gone, so this is not surprising and not really disappointing. I actually could see him catching on at a pretty good program where they need a defense and intangibles type guy.
I didn't mean to infer Hill would replace Moore in the lineup. Just that he has just as much potential for productivity.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yep, my guess is that next yr after all the portal action is through ,we will be sorry we don't have him.