Kenyatta Watson- Gone to AU

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did he just say..."elite"?

angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Which of you is bringing up the rear with the 2-prong joint? I don't know if it's idiotic or innovative.

Ah well, either way, let's go fork some pitches.

Wait, that didn't come out right ... or did it? :cool:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think this is gonna hurt more than we think. We don’t get singleton without Kenyatta, which his mom mentioned today on Twitter. But as another poster mentioned, we are better set up to handle this than we were a few years back. So hopefully we’ll be okay.
He was establishing relationships with future recruits. More worried some may now be interested in AU.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
He was establishing relationships with future recruits. More worried some may now be interested in AU.
Guess it will be hard to tell. However I also suppose that there will be athletes who follow people who think they have their best interest at heart. However there could also be numerical athletes who are worse off picking their school based upon a recruiting coach, position coach, or even HC because a coach/recruiter at every level is gonna do what’s best for “themselves or their family” every step along the way. So a wise student athlete and their family need to be confident they’re making the school and program a high priority because “things and coaches” change frequently.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
As jzgt mentioned, with Tim McFarlin and Bill Stewart on board, this will not hurt near as much as it would have without them. And I trust Key to hire a competent replacement as well. Still a loss, but iiwii.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is gonna hurt more than we think. We don’t get singleton without Kenyatta, which his mom mentioned today on Twitter. But as another poster mentioned, we are better set up to handle this than we were a few years back. So hopefully we’ll be okay.
The ties to Atlanta is a serious threat to us. We must have lost a pretty big bidding war.

slugboy

Staff member
With a few exceptions, coaches and staff should move occasionally. It was a coup getting Watson from FSU.

I hate losing him, but we need to get someone as good. That’s the job market

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Key seems to have connections with some very successful people in CFB. He’s also shown success himself. I think he replaces KW with another good coach. This happens a lot at successful programs. This isn’t the days of Andrews and Foster staying 30 years as a DC. We need to get used to this.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
EH KW isn't a huge loss. He never brought in the talent we thought he would. His best asset is recruiting and he isn't allowed to do much of that without being on the road. He doesn't have upside as an actual coach. GT will be fine and Auburn likely overpaid.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
EH KW isn't a huge loss. He never brought in the talent we thought he would. His best asset is recruiting and he isn't allowed to do much of that without being on the road. He doesn't have upside as an actual coach. GT will be fine and Auburn likely overpaid.

I disagree here. I think we will replace him fine but being a Gwinnett guy myself I know the tremendous ties and amount of kids he helps get offers, etc...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget Jess Simpson. Dude is VERY VERY well connected in the state and highly respected.

Kenyatta is 100% a loss. There's no way around it. His sole job is to focus on the various aspects of recruiting and maintaining relationships. He was very good at it.

Key will need to get someone of his caliber into the program if we want to keep trending up.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
KW opened doors, but he didn't close them. I think Key has now brought in guys who can do both. Would we like to have KW? sure, but is he a big loss? no. My guess is we didn't see his value as his price went up. I doubt it was an affordability thing and more of a you're worth what we are paying you and not much more thing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
As jzgt mentioned, with Tim McFarlin and Bill Stewart on board, this will not hurt near as much as it would have without them. And I trust Key to hire a competent replacement as well. Still a loss, but iiwii.

Maybe Coleman fits in somewhere to help fill this role?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Don't see him listed with the coaching staff.

Edit - Also note that Thacker and Tillman have disappeared. Lots of names w/o photos on the coaches section of the roster page.
Yeah, it looks like the roster page has been updated; all the placeholder spots are gone. Lots of new names.