Kenyatta Watson- Gone to AU

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Man this is a big loss to the recruiting department of GT Football. He seemed to have had such deep ties with tons of coaches at numerous schools and lots of connections in the 7 on 7 teams. Going to be interesting to see who Key pursues to fill this role. It’s critically important to make sure it’s a person of equal or even greater significance to continue to develop our recruiting system and sustain the momentum we have gained in that department.
Link: https://georgiatech.forums.rivals.com/threads/kenyatta-watson-sr.43089/#post-1316439

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
My wife taught at Grayson and said nothing but good things about him. Wish him well in his new role. Looking forward to finding out who the new director of scouting will be. Pretty sure Key will take his time as he did with the DB coach.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't believe he was dismissed, my understanding is he was poached by Auburn. I thought I saw something last month, or the month before, where there was interest in poaching him from other schools. Auburn was on that list. Can't find where I saw that, but if I find I will post a link. I'm not surprised by this news at all though. Happy for him, but excited to see who fills his role.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Not worried. Seems like recruits like him, but he was brought in to help recruit Gwinnett County and specifically Grayson and recruiting didn’t really improve in those areas. Has fans, we tend to overestimate the potential impact of any one individual on the recruiting staff.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think Key would be able to match a salary at this point. We have improved our staff across all fronts and kept Faulkner despite interest for higher paying gigs. Watson may have just wanted a new place to call home. Speculation of course

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Not worried. Seems like recruits like him, but he was brought in to help recruit Gwinnett County and specifically Grayson and recruiting didn’t really improve in those areas. Has fans, we tend to overestimate the potential impact of any one individual on the recruiting staff.
Interesting take and yes social media photos can seem to enhance the perception that you have a lot of followers and influence. So that would be interesting to see what the “score card” impact/results actually are perceived vs real. Interesting perspective and only the GT Staff know the difference.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
With the former HS coaches brought on staff, Tim McFarlin and Bill Stewart, seems like we are better positioned to absorb the loss than we were a year or two ago.
Would like to know what types of in roads we have made in the regions related to these coaches connections? Impact or still a little too soon to judge them? Honestly in the NIL era I wonder how much recruitment is influenced by connections when big money (NIL Deals) is being thrown around? Guess it depends on said recruitment of teach individual player and their perception of priorities? Like Eric Singleton staying at GT vs chasing $$$ to play elsewhere. It’s a different world out there now in the recruiting arenas.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think it may be a problem in replacing him due to his connections and personality.We won't know probably quickly though as results may be slow showing. Best thing is maybe he hurts uga more than us.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking of potential places to poach and some names to throw at a wall to see what sticks.
  1. Mutts: David Cooper. My number one target, but seriously doubt we'd poach him. Would be a home run if did.
  2. Ole' Miss: Alex Faulk/Kevin Bolden. Both are Mississippi natives, probably couldn't get even if $$$ match, but would love to have.
  3. Florida: Billy isn't long for that coaching job, but there are multiple recruiting staff members that raise an eyebrow.
  4. USC (Trojans): Gavin Morris. I'm assuming he's the covering the southeast, especially GA with his history in this state.
    1. They've landed high quality kids from this state, and it can't be just $$$. Lot of competition down here can match/come close enough without having to fly your whole family out to see you play.
  5. Liberty: Devon Doyle. He's Chadwell's lead talent evaluator and has been his director of recruitment going back to Coastal. He also from the south, played at Troy, and recruited Georgia heavily at both Coastal and Liberty. I'm 100% certain when Chadwell get's a power 4 job he'd go with him... unless someone poaches him first. He's high on my call list.
  6. UCF: Corey Giddings: Better options, but wouldn't grab a pitchfork.
Probably will be a hire not on this list, and trust Key will make the right hire, but figured I'd throw some potential names for S&G.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Unrelated, but saw Corey Dennis is now an analyst at Utah? Wonder what it would take to make him an analyst back at Tech. He's an elite level recruiter. Even for a one and done stint, surprised I just now saw this.
Did he just say..."elite"?

angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS