Kentucky defense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In addition to Brad, hope Cottrell gets a chance at a go long ab pass.

It all starts up middle -Their starting and backup NT are 330 and 350 ish.

After the way shamire played during vt (lots of down blocks which made copious room for pulling guard) , I think he could be useful with these larger Nt. Would love to see jet prove to all he can run the midline. However with klock back healthy, and Bryan getting stronger as season progresses, 75 being natural and 2 seniors at center and tackle; he could be only special duty. Could be in 3rdand 4th quarter when they move to cut off wide we bring in shamire to get middle game going. In 14 he played ld and allowed so big runs in Orange bowl.

The absolute best end of game situation would be to have three true freshman, the backup Rg, and back up rt crush them.

Coach, west, sewak, Andy the players have fixed the Ol.

On the other hand my son was a ga at ou when mike stoops was the dc. My son says they could just bring 9!
Going to be fun game

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He will probably do something similar to how he played us when he was at Free Shoe U

He never coached against us while at FSU. He was the DC for 2010-2012 and we only played FSU in the ACC championship game in 2012 but he was hired away by kentucky before that game was played.

*Edit: I don't recall that he stayed on to coach that championship game, but maybe he did.

**Edit # 2: Looks like he did actually coach that game. So he's played us once.

Henrymcg

Georgia Tech Fan
I noticed during the teleconference call Stoops was well aware of JT's play action & ability for big pass plays.

I do not think they will crash the dive

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He never coached against us while at FSU. He was the DC for 2010-2012 and we only played FSU in the ACC championship game in 2012 but he was hired away by kentucky before that game was played.

*Edit: I don't recall that he stayed on to coach that championship game, but maybe he did.

Fsu hired a gt assistant coach as their dc. he was a temporary dc when Groh was finally cut loose. he did a good job as temporary dc but during acc championship found out coach has lots of adjustments he didn't know about.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Stoops also brought FSU defensive coach DJ Eliot with him to UK. According to Stoop's press conference today, DJ Eliot was the "option guru" that did much of the planning for GT in 2012.

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree @Skeptic. You can teach and teach, but they tend to revert to the eye candy pretty quickly. The most fun I've ever had at a football game was the 2014 OB. There happened to be a couple of MSU fans (very polite ones) sitting right next to me, and the number of times they talked about why their team couldn't stop that "high school offense."

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
We will get points no matter where they focus, but JeT gets loose if you hit him at the mesh or find ways to get in the backfield. I would aim for turnovers with sell out blitzes that reach JeT before he gets the corner.

To Derpy Smart's credit, he admitted there is no magic formula, just staying assignment sound, getting off of blocks and making tackles.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I always love how they stop 2 pitches for negative gains and get so pumped only to have the next play go 20 yards
My favorite is maybe the second play we ran against MSU, when they stuffed an Aback for a loss and set about celebrating wildly. Then we broke one down field on the next play. No celebrating.

In 2014 Miss State had an amazing front 7 and had a month, but they still got rekt. I don't even think this game will be close
But, Miss. State's DC left before the bowl game and Mullen tried to go it alone. Also, they had been #1 in the nation and then fizzled. They were disappointed to be in the Orange Bowl. Kentucky hasn't been bowling since 2010. They will be wanting to show that they belong, and they will be setting things up for next season. This will be a tough game for us.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Teams have had success against us by slow playing the quarterback on pitch plays to the outside which throws off the timing of the play. For whatever reason, JT will go into vapor lock from time to time, fail to press the edge and either eat it for a 4 yard loss or pitch it to an a-back that gets immediately crushed behind the line. Aside from the VT game, we haven't been good enough running between the tackles to methodically move the ball, so consequently we have a tendency to get off schedule and behind the chains. This year has not been one where we control the clock and grind out first downs. We've relied on big plays. Without Marshall, our big play ability is a little diminished. It'll be interesting to see what we do. My guess is that we may throw it a little more. We'll see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
But, Miss. State's DC left before the bowl game and Mullen tried to go it alone. Also, they had been #1 in the nation and then fizzled. They were disappointed to be in the Orange Bowl. Kentucky hasn't been bowling since 2010. They will be wanting to show that they belong, and they will be setting things up for next season. This will be a tough game for us.
MSU at one time was way up there in the rankings, but fell apart late so it's hard to see why they were disappointed in a still-top tier bowl game. Got spoiled early, I suppose, but like us have not had that success since. I do remember the camera on that young defensive assistant supposedly handling the defense, and the deer-in-the-headlights look. Then they brought an old head down out of the spotter's booth but he had no luck either. We should have a good game running the ball regardless despite this being an off-year statistics wise. But yes, I think it will be a good game. Louisville was an outlier game for them, but still, they beat a very good team in a high-scoring game. Downside for us is the QB, at least in against Louisville, lit it up throwing the ball. Ouch.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to see either a B-Back wheel route for a big pass play to start the game, or one of our A-Backs hitting the seam for a wide open catch and run. That will set the tone for the rest of the game. Let them crash the B-Back anticipated Dive to start the game. Once they are hit for a big pass play they will be scrambling the rest of the day.

Deleted member 2897

Florida State was 11-2 in 2012 and Georgia Tech was 6-7. And still they didn't stop us. Well kind of, but I'll get to that. We had 301 yards to their 328. The difference in the game and why they won (and by only 6 points) is that we got stalled out at the Florida State 30, 19, and 10 and had to kick 3 FG. So they had nearly twice as good a team as us that year and still barely won.