Ken's Break Down of B-Backs

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

Ouch moment for those thinking they have it wrapped up. "...overriding reality is that all three – Marcus Allen, Patrick Skov and Marcus Marshall – have a lot to learn."

Regarding Marshall, Cook said, has “got really good feet. He’s got a burst. He’s an acceleration. He’s still working on a lot of things – technique, ball security, all the things that are really fundamental to the position.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Link

Ouch moment for those thinking they have it wrapped up. "...overriding reality is that all three – Marcus Allen, Patrick Skov and Marcus Marshall – have a lot to learn."

Regarding Marshall, Cook said, has “got really good feet. He’s got a burst. He’s an acceleration. He’s still working on a lot of things – technique, ball security, all the things that are really fundamental to the position.”
This is where losing experience hurts. Production lies somewhere in the cross hairs between experience and talent. One's not any good w/o the other, you got to have both. I think moving MLD to Aback has a lot to do with not having to divvy up the reps 4 ways. Let's get these noobs up to speed pronto.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No way any frosh is coming in day 1 and playing like Days / Laskey. By the time toe meets leather? That is actually a possibility imo. I'm not predicting it will happen, but it could.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great freshman running backs happen with a fair amount of regularity in this game we love.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Maybe this should be a thread of its own but why playing RB is a more daunting/can't be productive here than any other school?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this should be a thread of its own but why playing RB is a more daunting/can't be productive here than any other school?
Bbacks have to do things they didn't have to do in high school and trust things they didn't have to trust in high school. The latter might be the hardest part. And then there's blocking.....

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
So I noticed on Georgia Tech's rivals site that Marcus Marshall was our starting BB. I understand this is tentative, but are y'all hearing the same thing? Must be playing well.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My position hasn't changed at all. I'm saying it is one in the same, maybe even easier bc it takes away some of the thinking/indecisive that comes with being 7yd back.

So you don't have to trust that your Oline will make his block in HS? So we are not running off the butt of the blocker?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Johnson always says it takes a certain toughness/mentality to play BB.

I assume it's because they are supposed to fire off and hit the hole as fast as they possibly can and sometimes there's an unblocked DT there to slam into. Gotta be rough-nosed I guess!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No way any frosh is coming in day 1 and playing like Days / Laskey. By the time toe meets leather? That is actually a possibility imo. I'm not predicting it will happen, but it could.

There have been a number of freshmen running backs over the last decade who certainly could make a splash on the opening game in our system. Unfortunately Chubb is one of them who comes to mind. If we can ever land a recruit like that, look out! Hopefully Marshall is that guy.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There have been a number of freshmen running backs over the last decade who certainly could make a splash on the opening game in our system. Unfortunately Chubb is one of them who comes to mind. If we can ever land a recruit like that, look out! Hopefully Marshall is that guy.
Remember, Chubb did not start until the Gurley fiasco. And even Herscel did not start his first game.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439478494.331447.jpg

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Also have to factor in the coach. Regardless of offensive scheme, some coaches are more willing to play freshmen than others. I would count CPJ among those who prefer to err on the side of caution.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Bbacks have to do things they didn't have to do in high school and trust things they didn't have to trust in high school. The latter might be the hardest part. And then there's blocking.....

right,Cheese
VERY few (none?) of guys come in and have played so close to the QB and LOS--they all have been from 2 -5 yds or more back at snap, this in itself is strange and difficult (also strange and difficult for DEf), also our bback does not hit the same hole every time nor is it a called hole all the time, get hit repeatedly, oh,yeah-then there is DON'T FUMBLE

but my man Marshall has already pushed LD aside, by next yr. Skov won't be missed

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think BB is a fairly instinctive position. Some guys get it, some guys don't. Not complicated like A-Back or WR.