Kelly Quinlan on Chuck Oliver Show

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea, I really winced when he talked about the "last girl at the bar". We don't really need a Tech backer coming out with those kind of statements. As for recruiting above average players, I would say, if PJ ran any other kind of offense than the TO that he would land much better players. Just my opinion.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of kids like the idea of going to GT but the reality of going keeps them from coming. With that said I think GT could do a better job of embracing be NerdU and market that to kids that would be much more interested in attending.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Just started listening to the segment. Did the Kang just say Smeltzer instead of Smelter when referring to DeAndre?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
What's kinda funny is that most rational folks understand the academic hurdle at GT. It's a freeking stem school. I knew it when they were recruiting me in 1979. No way in hell I was going to GT. I had zero intentions of taking math heavy classes. I went to Troy State then UGA. Never took a math class beyond basic math. I have a calculator on my phone. Embrace the fact that GT competes w actual students going to real classes. At least we are not on here bitching about how unfair the police are, how tough our drug policy is. Poor players can't just smoke weed all the time.. If a Old Dawg can figure it out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
KQ has really good relationships w people inside the Ath Dept. He has a ton of real knowledge. He is one of the few who they trust. He won't post info until it's confirmed. He also does not post things that need to stay inside the locker room. I believe the last girl at the bar quote was directed at the " factory " type of recruits. Face the truth, GT with no easy academic path to maintain eligibility is the " last girl at the bar" for those types. It is what it is. GT looks very good to players who are really interested in getting a Degree w value and playing Big Boy football. GT needs a larger staff to be able to turn over more stones. We are right in the center of the SEC recruiting bread basket. So GT needs the resources to recruit the whole country. JMO.
Hope sometime very soon we at least get started getting "seen" in suburbs around a few more major cities.

Gt is well thought of on national basis.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
KQ has really good relationships w people inside the Ath Dept. He has a ton of real knowledge. He is one of the few who they trust. He won't post info until it's confirmed. He also does not post things that need to stay inside the locker room. I believe the last girl at the bar quote was directed at the " factory " type of recruits. Face the truth, GT with no easy academic path to maintain eligibility is the " last girl at the bar" for those types. It is what it is. GT looks very good to players who are really interested in getting a Degree w value and playing Big Boy football. GT needs a larger staff to be able to turn over more stones. We are right in the center of the SEC recruiting bread basket. So GT needs the resources to recruit the whole country. JMO.

The "recruit the whole country" thing has been talked about since the late 60's. CCG made a hugh deal about it. We keep talking this even now, but most especially after another bad season. We have been promised, since the late 60's that resources are NOT a problem. And then time after time we do not sign our full allotment of players ("well, we need to hold some back for walk ons". BS! They are telling us that WOs are better than players being recruited by our competition? Idiotic way to recruit). We need to, for a variety of reasons, get our share of better players from Ga. Then go on to rest of nation. But, honestly, CPJ would rather get fired than having to replace a guy like Sewak. Just for starters. Lazy Boy Football by our coaches. Main, by a long shot, focus is on A / B / Athlete players. Should be O & D linemen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'd love for you to show me where anyone on the staff has ever said anything remotely similar to this.

I'm wagering that you can't.
I was wondering that too. I also thought that others on this site have done the math each year and we actually end up as close to the NCAA roster limit of scholarship players (from offers) as any of our competitors, such as Clemson. I am always amazed that with all the variables Tech is able to cut it as close as they are.

Of course, how Alabama does it is much different. One Alabama blog does an article once a year that is basically guessing who is on scholarship and who is not because Alabama keeps about 95 or more people on the roster at all times but plays it close to the vest as to revealing who actually has a scholarship.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The "recruit the whole country" thing has been talked about since the late 60's. CCG made a hugh deal about it. We keep talking this even now, but most especially after another bad season. We have been promised, since the late 60's that resources are NOT a problem. And then time after time we do not sign our full allotment of players ("well, we need to hold some back for walk ons". BS! They are telling us that WOs are better than players being recruited by our competition? Idiotic way to recruit). We need to, for a variety of reasons, get our share of better players from Ga. Then go on to rest of nation. But, honestly, CPJ would rather get fired than having to replace a guy like Sewak. Just for starters. Lazy Boy Football by our coaches. Main, by a long shot, focus is on A / B / Athlete players. Should be O & D linemen.
Teams like UGA have over 20 college students working in the football office writing letters, making flyers , breaking film down by positions, creating media twitter post, etc. When Will was being recruited he would get 5 to 20 letters/flyers a day in the mailbox from schools. The only ones written by a real coach were the ones from GT. Other schools have students writing and signing the coaches names. GT coaches write their own, they do not have the support staff other schools have. GT has to have the smallest recruiting staff support in D1 football. GT does not have to talk kids into coming here, most players who want GT are mature and smart enough to get it. My point is that GT needs the additional support staff numbers in media and recruiting to cast a larger net to find more of the Student Athletes that are looking for the combination of Education and Football that GT offers. GT I believe with more resources could have commitments wrapped early every year. Will committed in Aug before his Jr year. Its not a hard choice when you get the facts. It did help that Will had already visited Aub, Kentucky, Clemson, UGA, Furman,USC,Tenn,and Ga Southern when we were traveling watching Justin play baseball. He already had a good ideal about what he wanted. For Will GT was the first girl standing at the bar ,she was a 10, so he did not see any reason to wait around until closing time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Teams like UGA have over 20 college students working in the football office writing letters, making flyers , breaking film down by positions, creating media twitter post, etc. When Will was being recruited he would get 5 to 20 letters/flyers a day in the mailbox from schools. The only ones written by a real coach were the ones from GT. Other schools have students writing and signing the coaches names. GT coaches write their own, they do not have the support staff other schools have. GT has to have the smallest recruiting staff support in D1 football. GT does not have to talk kids into coming here, most players who want GT are mature and smart enough to get it. My point is that GT needs the additional support staff numbers in media and recruiting to cast a larger net to find more of the Student Athletes that are looking for the combination of Education and Football that GT offers. GT I believe with more resources could have commitments wrapped early every year. Will committed in Aug before his Jr year. Its not a hard choice when you get the facts. It did help that Will had already visited Aub, Kentucky, Clemson, UGA, Furman,USC,Tenn,and Ga Southern when we were traveling watching Justin play baseball. He already had a good ideal about what he wanted. For Will GT was the first girl standing at the bar ,she was a 10, so he did not see any reason to wait around until closing time.
Could not agree more. Players like Will are rare and rarer still in our geographic footprint. However, it has always been my impression that recruiting is primarily about relationships. Coaches with long established close contacts in high schools are necessary.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yet WE won 11 games a couple of years ago?

and won 3 last year. your point? The 11 win kinda gets destroyed by the 3 losses. This is a 7-8 win program with a couple big highs with the other guys recruits; and 1 big high and 1 big low with Pauls guys. We don't recruit the lines well.

we recruit the lines better this program takes a step up. And we can. Our lines are worse now than in a long time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is what I have been saying for a while, probably not as well as you just did. Well said. We need to turn over more stones. The right kids are out there. We just need to apply enoughed pointed resources to find them and get them interested.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
and won 3 last year. your point? The 11 win kinda gets destroyed by the 3 losses. This is a 7-8 win program with a couple big highs with the other guys recruits; and 1 big high and 1 big low with Pauls guys. We don't recruit the lines well.

we recruit the lines better this program takes a step up. And we can. Our lines are worse now than in a long time.
Then why did we fire the other guy who could recruit. I'll tell you why, because guys like you think they know more than the coaches. You have it all figured out although you've never been in a position where your plan was what counted sink or swim. You haven't had the responsibility that goes along with having "the plan." Nobody has recruited consistently at Tech since I've been watching sinçe Dodd. Thing's changed. We will never recruit consistently unless something else changes besides the coach. Yes, I think It's an unbelievable coaching job anytime we win 11 games at Tech and beat Georgia. But If you think someone else can come in here without anything else changing and do better you're wrong.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

The OL has talented players, just most are young. Normally at this level it takes OL until their Redshirt Soph years to contribute. GT does not have that luxury due to the number of upperclass OL who have left the program for various reasons. GT does need to add to the numbers. It seems that they have lost more upperclassmen than normal over the past two years . GT needs to load up on OL every year JMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Then why did we fire the other guy who could recruit. I'll tell you why, because guys like you think they know more than the coaches. You have it all figured out although you've never been in a position where your plan was what counted sink or swim. You haven't had the responsibility that goes along with having "the plan." Nobody has recruited consistently at Tech since I've been watching sinçe Dodd. Thing's changed. We will never recruit consistently unless something else changes besides the coach. Yes, I think It's an unbelievable coaching job anytime we win 11 games at Tech and beat Georgia. But If you think someone else can come in here without anything else changing and do better you're wrong.
I agree and think it's true even if you brought back guys who were successful in the past like Ross and O'Leary. Recruiting parameters are not the same as in those days.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Just started listening to the segment. Did the Kang just say Smeltzer instead of Smelter when referring to DeAndre?
Yes he did. I heard it also. It's just goes to show that those guys pay little attention to us and won't until we stay consistent in accumulating 7+ wins a year. Consistency is the only thing that will get us more attention.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes he did. I heard it also. It's just goes to show that those guys pay little attention to us and won't until we stay consistent in accumulating 7+ wins a year. Consistency is the only thing that will get us more attention.

IMO the reporting and attention from the national media seems pretty fair. I don't believe we will ever get more attention in the Atlanta media. In 1990, I don't think Ga Tech made the front page of the Sunday AJC. UGA was on the front page most weeks, and on the top fold of the Sports Section. Ga Tech was relegated to either the bottom fold of the sports section, or the second page of the sports section almost all year. That was a year in which Tech was 11-0-1 and UGA was 4-7. The Atlanta media(paper, radio, TV) have a lot of UGA grads working for them. They cater to the UGA fans. Our "flagship" radio station has shows all week long about UGA sports and barely mentions Tech. I believe that if Tech were to win 10 MNCs in a row, that the national media would be all over the program, but the Atlanta media would hype the latest mutt recruit and list all the reasons that this is finally the year that the mutts will win the MNC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe that if Tech were to win 10 MNCs in a row, that the national media would be all over the program, but the Atlanta media would hype the latest mutt recruit and list all the reasons that this is finally the year that the mutts will win the MNC.
Some will think you are being cynical but I think you are absolutely right. Tech has not gotten equal reporting in over 50 years and I do not see that changing.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Agree with all this. I'm so tired of people citing that '07 class and saying, "Why can't we do this every year?" That was the exception, not the rule. Next they'll be calling for us to fire CPJ to hire the myth/legend himself, Giff Smith.

This line of thinking is the reason we are doomed to the state we are currently in and it's not accurate which is the most ifuriating to me. The 2 coaches before Johnson had this recruiting thing figured by the time they left. Gailey had his last full class finish in the top 20 and people forget we were on the verge of repeating that feat in 08 when Gailey was fired. We lost Renfroe to Duke and Jenkins to Illinois after Gailey was fired. Both were 4 stars that ended up with pro careers.

Before Gailey we had Oleary whose last 3 classes were in the top 25 and he was prepared to make it 4 before he took the job at ND.

So this line of thinking that GT simply can't be more competitive on the recruiting trail than it currently is is false. Both of our previous 2 coaches had it figured out when they left. Unfortunately Johnson has not figured out what they did.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This line of thinking is the reason we are doomed to the state we are currently in and it's not accurate which is the most ifuriating to me. The 2 coaches before Johnson had this recruiting thing figured by the time they left. Gailey had his last full class finish in the top 20 and people forget we were on the verge of repeating that feat in 08 when Gailey was fired. We lost Renfroe to Duke and Jenkins to Illinois after Gailey was fired. Both were 4 stars that ended up with pro careers.

Before Gailey we had Oleary whose last 3 classes were in the top 25 and he was prepared to make it 4 before he took the job at ND.

So this line of thinking that GT simply can't be more competitive on the recruiting trail than it currently is is false. Both of our previous 2 coaches had it figured out when they left. Unfortunately Johnson has not figured out what they did.

Lol. First, that's not what i said. Second, to ignore the fact that the recruiting environments have changed drastically between those 3 coaches makes this a useless discussion.