Kelly And Russ Discuss

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree, it is less than entertaining and I find that KQ rarely reveals information that you should expect on an "insiders" forum. Complete waste of $$ if you ask me.
Two notes on this topic -
1) The whole reason KQ publishes to YT is to better market his paid Rivals subscription so it is odd he can't figure out how to edit out those first few minutes of awkward silence/key board typing - easy enough for all of us to FF through but seems silly on his part to not market a better YT product with some basic editing.
2) I subscribed to his JOL Rivals service the past two years but grew weary of the constant bickering among the posters - too much meaningless content to navigate to find the few nuggets of meaningful content. And then he lost it and started verbally abusing some of his customers (fortunately not me) this past Fall. In the big picture, it was just way too much unproductive time wasted... That said, if one enjoys spending hours complaining and arguing about almost everything related to GT, world politics and life in general it's the perfect social media subscription and I would highly recommend it... :)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
1) The whole reason KQ publishes to YT is to better market his paid Rivals subscription so it is odd he can't figure out how to edit out those first few minutes of awkward silence/key board typing - easy enough for all of us to FF through but seems silly on his part to not market a better YT product with some basic editing.
2) I subscribed to his JOL Rivals service the past two years but grew weary of the constant bickering among the posters - too much meaningless content to navigate to find the few nuggets of meaningful content. And then he lost it and started verbally abusing some of his customers (fortunately not me) this past Fall. In the big picture, it was just way too much unproductive time wasted... That said, if one enjoys spending hours complaining and arguing about almost everything related to GT, world politics and life in general it's the perfect social media subscription and I would highly recommend it... :)
I haven't been on there in several years but reading your post it seems nothing has changed because what you say is exactly what I remember.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else find the opening of these painful with Kelly silently typing on his computer?
Sometimes I'll try and watch a video, then the painful clacking on his keyboard and whisps under his breath, followed by his awkward face and vocal fry voice...causes me to rage out and I turn off the video lol

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So these videos are livestreams, you know that, right? They aren’t pre-recorded and then posted. When you start a livestream you typically then wait a bit for people to join and while that’s happening there’s an awkward few minutes and as a host you are somewhat stuck waiting for your “customers” to join.

Once the livestream is closed I think it’s just automatically posted as a video you can go back and watch. And if you aren’t aware you can fast forward on a video and avoid that awkwardness. As a content creator I guess he could spend 15 minutes downloading the video, loading it into his favorite video editing program, removing those first few minutes, then re-uploading it. But I’m not sure if it messes with his clicks and monetization or not. Also is it worth his 15-30min of effort versus your laborious 3sec to fast forward?

Of course none of that applies to any comments you have about issue during the video. If you don’t like watching then good choice not to watch. Personally I’ve never been bothered by having to fast forward.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So these videos are livestreams, you know that, right? They aren’t pre-recorded and then posted. When you start a livestream you typically then wait a bit for people to join and while that’s happening there’s an awkward few minutes and as a host you are somewhat stuck waiting for your “customers” to join.

Once the livestream is closed I think it’s just automatically posted as a video you can go back and watch. And if you aren’t aware you can fast forward on a video and avoid that awkwardness. As a content creator I guess he could spend 15 minutes downloading the video, loading it into his favorite video editing program, removing those first few minutes, then re-uploading it. But I’m not sure if it messes with his clicks and monetization or not. Also is it worth his 15-30min of effort versus your laborious 3sec to fast forward?

Of course none of that applies to any comments you have about issue during the video. If you don’t like watching then good choice not to watch. Personally I’ve never been bothered by having to fast forward.
First, He's not a blogger (although he is). There is a fee for his service, so he should be professional. As a professional presenter, when I do a live streaming session, I have a start time and join myself 15 seconds before the opening remarks. At the time of the scheduled start, I start, regardless of who is there. This is a little more informal than that as it's mostly a question-and-answer session, but he's a professional; he should look like it.

Second, the downloading and "cleaning up" of his presentation is a must. He should take the time to edit it so that it is a clean, professional presentation. This is a free opportunity to learn something and a free opportunity for him to sell his product to non-subscribers. He doesn't appear to look at it that way and it has probably cost him subscribers. Personally, I don't find him to be very professional. Just my take.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
First, He's not a blogger (although he is). There is a fee for his service, so he should be professional. As a professional presenter, when I do a live streaming session, I have a start time and join myself 15 seconds before the opening remarks. At the time of the scheduled start, I start, regardless of who is there. This is a little more informal than that as it's mostly a question-and-answer session, but he's a professional; he should look like it.

Second, the downloading and "cleaning up" of his presentation is a must. He should take the time to edit it so that it is a clean, professional presentation. This is a free opportunity to learn something and a free opportunity for him to sell his product to non-subscribers. He doesn't appear to look at it that way and it has probably cost him subscribers. Personally, I don't find him to be very professional. Just my take.
I hear what you're saying. Though there's no fee for joining the livestream. If I want to join JOL then there's a fee for that. I'll preface ALL of the rest of my comments by saying they are my opinion and I respect that others have their own opinions. I won't disagree with you about looking professional. When I'm leading a web conference, which is usually at least once per day, I do my best to present myself in what I think is a professional manner. As for downloading and cleaning up I would disagree and agree that it's a "must." If it was me then I would do it. Heck I'm not a professional video editor, nor even an amateur one, but when I have to record a video I am meticulous about it just because even if I'm the only one who will notice something is a gaff then it will bother me that it's out there. And you are 100% correct that it's an opportunity for him to sell his product. We are definitely more in agreement than not. But if he has a choice between focusing on the content and focusing on the presentation then I'd prefer he focuses on the content, which he does, and I'll deal with the idiosyncrasies of how it is delivered. And that's my choice and I say again that I'm not trying to convince anyone that should be their choice.

One thing I take into account when critiquing others who are providing a service I'm consuming, especially for free (and PLEASE do not take this as my advice to others, it is purely what works for me and I promise I don't ask anyone else to feel this way), is to try and think about the circumstances around the provision of that service. I don't know Kelly at all, though I think I'd like him, so this is all guesswork. I know he runs multiple sites, not just JOL. As a content provider/member of the sports press he is frequently working. And I mean that to say his hours aren't 9-5. He gets information whenever he gets it and is constantly following others and on the phone/texting with people trying to hunt down information. I don't say that to elicit sympathy for him. He does what he does because it's a lifestyle he has chosen. I'm just recognizing that it does put demands on ones time that are different. He seems to travel with relative frequency and if you haven't done it (the YOU is generic) then you probably don't understand the unique challenges that puts on your time. But instead of waiting until he's at his home office to do these livestreams he's doing them as often as he can from wherever he can. The last two I've watched he has done from hotel rooms. Even if you buy the enhanced wifi, which isn't always available, bandwidth challenges exist. So should he wait until Monday when he's home to have the livestream or should he do the livestream as soon as he can to satisfy his customers who WANT that content ASAP? I'd lean towards doing the show and just hoping my subscribers and viewers appreciate that I'm trying to do the best I can from wherever and whenever I can.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kelly, like the rest of us, is not perfect. I do believe he is trying to do a good job and bring information of interest to the Tech fan base. I appreciate his efforts and feel he is more or less a member of the Tech family. I just wanted to present a different opinion on him.

Go Jackets!
I don't dislike Kelly, at all. That wasn't my comment. I just don't find him to be very professional. As someone who is a business owner (GT and now Alabama), his approach is very loose. If he doesn't have time or the inclination to do the tech work, he should sub it out. It would probably pay dividends in the end.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't dislike Kelly, at all. That wasn't my comment. I just don't find him to be very professional. As someone who is a business owner (GT and now Alabama), his approach is very loose. If he doesn't have time or the inclination to do the tech work, he should sub it out. It would probably pay dividends in the end.
And I’m not trying to pile on here but people say “just fast forward through the slow parts” don’t get it. Since he takes time to read all the comments, and then takes time to formulate his answers, through the entire show, you never know when to fast forward or when to stop. Any pearls of wisdom he has come quick and fast between a lot of hemming and hawing. Unless someone says “at the 37:21 point he says who the new nose tackle is going to be” you can waste a lot of time trying to find that one nugget.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
And I’m not trying to pile on here but people say “just fast forward through the slow parts” don’t get it. Since he takes time to read all the comments, and then takes time to formulate his answers, through the entire show, you never know when to fast forward or when to stop. Any pearls of wisdom he has come quick and fast between a lot of hemming and hawing. Unless someone says “at the 37:21 point he says who the new nose tackle is going to be” you can waste a lot of time trying to find that one nugget.
I get it just fine. Hitting the fast-forward button isn't that tough to me and if I catch him in the middle of a sentence I hit the rewind button. If you don't like doing it that's fine but it's not physically difficult.

Folks, if you don't like his style I promise I'm not going to be the one trying to convince you that you should. I've found ways to consume the content that work for me. It's not that I don't get your complaints. I've just found ways to get around them that, as I said, work for me and I am simply trying to share those solutions as options to try if you want to. If you have and they don't work for you then sorry I even tried to help. If you haven't then maybe one of my tips will help someone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I get it just fine. Hitting the fast-forward button isn't that tough to me and if I catch him in the middle of a sentence I hit the rewind button. If you don't like doing it that's fine but it's not physically difficult.

Folks, if you don't like his style I promise I'm not going to be the one trying to convince you that you should. I've found ways to consume the content that work for me. It's not that I don't get your complaints. I've just found ways to get around them that, as I said, work for me and I am simply trying to share those solutions as options to try if you want to. If you have and they don't work for you then sorry I even tried to help. If you haven't then maybe one of my tips will help someone.
Didn’t mean to sound ungrateful. 😊