Keep the Faith

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Look- I am just as pissed as everyone. Hell last night I was calling to fire Ted Roof. But let's be realistic. We knew coming in this year would be interesting with a new QB and the loss of key players on D. Let's wait until the season plays out. If we go 7-5 or better then there is no way CPJ is gone. We can win every game left or lose it. We have to keep fighting. We have a very bright future with JT and our best recruiting class since 2007.
Now I do think we have to change scheme on D. If Roof won't change he will be gone.We don't have the horses on the DL to play how we've been. We have got to play aggressive and try and force turnovers and sacks. We are dead last in the ACC in sacks. I'd rather go down trying then what has been happening. We all knew UNC would score at the end. Hell they ran the same 3-4 plays all night.
I look at next year, even with the schedule, as something that could be special. The offense will be fine with JT and a B-Back that can house it. A-backs and WR's will be young but we always have someone step up. But let's look at the D. A D-Line with Freeman, Gotsis, Gamble, and Hunt-Days is way better than what we got. LB will be more athletic and secondary will be as well. Keep the faith!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now I do think we have to change scheme on D. If Roof won't change he will be gone.

Roof is CPJ's last D coordinator (at GT). If you cannot pick a good one in 3 tries, then you are in above your head as a HC. Part of being a good manager is hiring good people. For CPJ to fire CTR is akin to the man who has been divorced 5 times complaining that there aren't any good women.

Beevis

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think anyone is upset about a 5-2 record by itself so I'm not sure that stat should be trotted out as a rebuttal.

The problem is that people can see that the next 5 games won't likely have a similar win/loss ratio.

That said, I'm not for firing anybody, but it is sobering to realize we are just going to have to take our bitter medicine for (quite) awhile.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we made to many mistakes to beat Duke. The game last night we went up against a high powered talented offense and one false start put us 4 points behind the whole game. I don't think we face many teams left on our schedule that can score like they can except the last two games. Also, maybe it was just Duke and UNC time to beat us like we finally beat VT and Miami.

Animal02

Banned
We have a new QB this season, had severe D attrition during the offseason. are 5-2, could have just as easily been 7-0 and people are whining and wanting to fire the HC.
Unfrikkin believable. It is just a game........yes the losses are frustrating because teach game could have been won......but Tech is playing respectable football and this constant negative drumbeat is asinine.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
We have a new QB this season, had severe D attrition during the offseason. are 5-2, could have just as easily been 7-0 and people are whining and wanting to fire the HC.
Unfrikkin believable. It is just a game........yes the losses are frustrating because teach game could have been won......but Tech is playing respectable football and this constant negative drumbeat is asinine.
There is nothing respectable about this defense ! I have been watching GT football longer than I care to admit and this is the poorest tackling defense I have ever seen and why doesn't someone tell the db's you can't cover with out looking at the ball?

GTBME

Georgia Tech Fan
Roof is CPJ's last D coordinator (at GT). If you cannot pick a good one in 3 tries, then you are in above your head as a HC. Part of being a good manager is hiring good people. For CPJ to fire CTR is akin to the man who has been divorced 5 times complaining that there aren't any good women.

CPJ wanted Ellis Johnson but DRad did not give him $ (or DRad did not have the cash). We took "free" Groh instead. Let that sink in for a sec.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I am just about ready to check out from reading the stupidity on message boards... I swear to Sweet Jesus - judging by the commentary I see from 80% of the posters, they're either dogs chasing squirrels or 3rd graders who want what they want when they want it and can't understand why they can't have it - now...

We ALL know that, for several years, GT has not recruited enough good, fast, talented players... despite this, we've gone to bowls, and we've competed for the ACC championship... We've been in almost all the games we've lost, down to the wire in many cases... A couple years ago, finally put into place changes that will allow us to recruit to our potential... That's paying off... But THIS PAST OFFSEASON, we had the sort of attrition that would devastate ANY TEAM ON OUR SCHEDULE... We were not immune to its effects, and we are seeing the consequences - both in the earlier wins we enjoyed and in the more recent defeats we've suffered...

It isn't on the coaches - Roof can coach, but he has to pick his poison, the way things are... And it is certainly not on CPJ - he's a hell of a coach to have the success he's had, which is no worse than any other coach we've had recently or any other coach we can imagine hiring...

The class coming in is extremely promising, as is Whitehead and others we'll have back on defense... Once the defensive pieces are in place, we'll be a dominant force in the ACC - as long as we're not stupid enough to fire the one coach who's probably most well suited for us...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd like to thank our team for playing their butts off and never giving up, even when two scores down in the 4th. Very long odds for ANY team to win when down 2 scores in the fourth (there's a reason for that - the better team has usually established dominance).

I didn't see any players being lazy or taking the plays off. I saw a lot of bad technique on D but the O was very good and the ST were good (excellent with the recovery of the on-sides attempt would have been better).

We have the best class since 2007 coming in and it will make a massive difference for the D by the middle of next year once the Fr get going.

Just realize that half of all the teams who played yesterday lost. Our team played hard the whole time and that's all I expect. Being a GT fan (or almost any CFB fan) is not for pussies. You win some and lose some.

I agree, keep the faith.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This sorta goes here....Last night's game hurt and it made me mad. Not about last night;s game, but the Duke game. Last night should have been our first loss. We played a very talented offensive team who simply got the ball last. Had we had it with 3 minutes to play I have no doubt we would have won. We needed them to make some mistakes, to get some holding penalties or picks. They didn't give any, or get called for holds. I sure saw some. We played like we had to have the game the whole way. We didn't do that against Duke. I feel sure we could have pulled the Duke game out if we had played with the energy we had last night,

But I think after a few days I'll be okay. I don't think I've ever seen PJ's offense looking so sharp and varied. I think he now has the weapons to counter anything any defense can throw at him.

My guess is we'll win the next three. And I'm not giving up on Clem or Georgia. Every time anyone says we have no chance they cite how the Clem and Georgia offenses are gonna eat our defense alive. No doubt they will. But I think our offense will do the same to their defense. If we can get a few mistakes out of them, we have as much chance against them as we did against. UNC.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am just about ready to check out from reading the stupidity on message boards... I swear to Sweet Jesus - judging by the commentary I see from 80% of the posters, they're either dogs chasing squirrels or 3rd graders who want what they want when they want it and can't understand why they can't have it - now...

We ALL know that, for several years, GT has not recruited enough good, fast, talented players... despite this, we've gone to bowls, and we've competed for the ACC championship... We've been in almost all the games we've lost, down to the wire in many cases... A couple years ago, finally put into place changes that will allow us to recruit to our potential... That's paying off... But THIS PAST OFFSEASON, we had the sort of attrition that would devastate ANY TEAM ON OUR SCHEDULE... We were not immune to its effects, and we are seeing the consequences - both in the earlier wins we enjoyed and in the more recent defeats we've suffered...

It isn't on the coaches - Roof can coach, but he has to pick his poison, the way things are... And it is certainly not on CPJ - he's a hell of a coach to have the success he's had, which is no worse than any other coach we've had recently or any other coach we can imagine hiring...

The class coming in is extremely promising, as is Whitehead and others we'll have back on defense... Once the defensive pieces are in place, we'll be a dominant force in the ACC - as long as we're not stupid enough to fire the one coach who's probably most well suited for us...

Great post.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It will be a really hard game to beat Pitt on the road and the way they can run the ball. I will be very pleased and impressed if Tech can pull that off.

And then after that UVA always plays really tough and well in ATL and loves to spoil our homecoming games. They are a good looking teams often enough this year (inconsistent) and Tech has a way of putting up poor performances at home on big days.

My point is that there are plenty of reasons to really expect every game to be a difficult accomplishment for our team to win. The team is at a specific level in all facets and with specific depth issues that total being a team that will basically be playing very closely contested games all year and in such games the outcome will flip from or to a win or loss on razor thin margins.

I really don't see any reason for much surprise in the season so far or to come, except for the VT game. But, as is the nature of close games, the wins are satisfying far beyond the norm and the losses are deflating far beyond the norm. The victories would not feel so good this year if that wasn't the case.

Beevis

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think I've ever seen PJ's offense looking so sharp and varied. I think he now has the weapons to counter anything any defense can throw at him.

And this is what makes it so hard to be GT fan - when we get a great offense, we get a horrible defense and vice versa.

My guess is we'll win the next three.

I hope we win the next 3, but I certainly don't expect it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Tomorrow. tomorrow
There's always Tomorrow
It's Always a Day Away

So sayeth Little Orphan Annie and GT fans everywhere