Justin?

BuzzKillington

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll go on record as saying the QB competition should be open. Not just for 2016, but for every year. Not just for QB either, but EVERY position EVERY year. As a matter of fact, it should be open right now if someone can take it. I am not a big believer in incumbents, but rather, what is best for the team regardless. Players grow, things change. By saying this, I am not hating on JT. It is just a way of life in sports.
And what all successful teams has this formula worked for my man? I'd love to know

BuzzKillington

Georgia Tech Fan
I am confused. Pretty much every team this is true. What point are you trying to make?
So there's a legitimate open competition for every position on every team every season? Deshaun Watson's job was for sure in jeopardy during the off season I'm sure...and Andrew Luck was for sure in some heated QB battles in his day.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
So there's a legitimate open competition for every position on every team every season? Deshaun Watson's job was for sure in jeopardy during the off season I'm sure...and Andrew Luck was for sure in some heated QB battles in his day.

So do you think if Aaron Rodgers got traded to the Colts, Luck would just automatically keep his job? I guarantee you if there was someone better on the Colts he would play. In the NFL this is a bit of a stretch. In college football not so much. No one on here is saying that we for sure have someone better than Justin, but each school brings in new recruits every year. Some guys make significant leaps early in their college career, some take a few years. Competition is never a bad thing. It makes all involved better.

Almost assuredly Justin will be our starting qb next year. I think what most are suggesting is that we don't crown him in the spring and keep him away from contact until the first game. It doesn't necessarily have to be equal reps for all of the qb's but I, along with others, would like to see him getting after it in the Spring. I bet if you asked him, knowing the competitor that he is would hope for the same thing. I would imagine it was not his idea to be non contact and that it probably frustrated him a little bit even if he never said anything about it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So you are saying that if Clemson had a guy who elevated himself beyond Watson, that he wouldn't be playing? Really? I'll speak for myself. I NEVER, as a coach, guaranteed any player a starting job EVER. He had to earn it every year, just like everybody else. What do you think is going on out there? All coaches are content to stand pat with who they have? I guess you didn't notice when Golson transferred from ND because he got beat out, or when OSU's top QB got sent to the bench this year in favor of another player. I guess Vad didn't see the writing on the wall either. I can also tell you, as a player, every single year I had to fight to stay on the field. Every recruiting season there were new guys joining the team who were really good players. I had no illusions. If they could push me to the bench, they would, and sometimes did.

If you refer to pro players, remember, new QBs come with a huge proce tag that might be prohibitive to a franchise. If a team has Andrew Luck, they might not be able to afford a true competitor. This is not so in CFB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Anybody heard of Robert Griffin III. Considered the redskins savior now ready to be cut. Won Heisman trophy and considered a sure shot. Proof positive that QB's can regress.
Yea saw him play at Baylor first year of brilles. Really Great runner, passer in air raid.
In pros they tried air raid for two years first year great but nfl adjusts AND rg3 got ibjured. Runor is came back too soon bSed on team doc advice. Know if anyone lets him on field they have to pay him 16,000,000 because of nfl rule. He has not recovered enough ro be a high dollar sure thing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A 6-2" 200 lb 2014 recruit qb,
that ran and passed his team to state championship game,
ran track at state championship level
and could have come in early this past spring would have been getting lots of talk.
He comes in January.

It will be an open camp.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of the posters on this thread seem to come out only when things are going bad. This is how it sounds.......

Not a very uplifting, hopeful sound. Our team is beat up, they need to heal, criticism at this point does not help at all. The team has not quit, including JT or the OL, and we don't need to kick them when they're down.