Justin Thomas

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just a minor point on what to expect following JT.
At baylor when they started to improve and RGIII broke out, good skill and line position and defensive players followed. My son teaches philosophy and has a player that passed up going to Harvard so he could have chance to play at baylor .

Point is GOOD follows GOOD. JT will be and has been a magnet.
We have good 2015 recruits and with ND and FSU on schedule next year.
We must go after top star athletes ( promise early play time) if we want to get above 8-4 with 3 wins over wofford, Georgia southern and wake forrest( these games reduce season ticket sales and recruiting interest IMO) . We are in apposition of great possibilities because of JT and our DESPERATION on defense.

On the end around to smelter was there any doubt the pitch would be clean? U can't coach that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly certain pitches are a coachable skill.

Agree that practice is a part of it! But it only goes so far.

Lee Trevino said any country club hack can make a pressure - 5 foot put for the club championship. Let him try it for 5,000$ when he doesn't have rent money.
You can't practice - down by more than field goal , time running down late in game 75 yards to go. JT and smelter are what I call clutch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fun Facts:
Justin is #27 QB in Passer Rating
Justin is tied for #10 in YPA
Justin is #1 in yds/comp (according to twitter)​
I include the following not as a JT vs Vad comparison but as the fun fact that we're throwing more while running more of our base offense:
Justin's 15 att/game 2014 > Vad's 13.8 att/game 2013 (and so far we're also averaging about 3 fewer plays/game, fwiw)​

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Fun Facts:
I include the following not as a JT vs Vad comparison but as the fun fact that we're throwing more while running more of our base offense:
Justin's 15 att/game 2014 > Vad's 13.8 att/game 2013 (and so far we're also averaging about 3 fewer plays/game, fwiw)​
This is the kind of post/comment I like that happens to touch on Vad's performance w/o dredging up negativity on former Tech SA's.

It has made me think again about getting to have a conversation with Tevin after the Miami game. His eyes and smile lit up talking about how comfortable and confident Justin is running the offense. Nesbitt was a real trooper (should say warrior like everyone else does :p) and both he and Tevin (heck even Jaybo against Duke) gave us sporadic games where us fans got to see what CPJ means about how he utilizes play action and a spread passing game. Those 3 QBs primarily needed Demaryius Thomas to demonstrate it though. I do think Tevin was closest of the three in his senior year to really gaining that experience within this system as a passer to make reads and check downs and find the a-backs as well.

I think Thomas has been really blessed to have Smelter especially take such a huge step forward for him this year and Waller to some extent (but possibly equally Summers to Waller). The result seems to be so far that Thomas has got to be much further along than every past first season starter at QB CPJ has had at Tech, right?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside GT ran very few true triple options last year. I would bet the triple is the most played play in the VT, Miami, Duke, UNC game, followed by the counter option. We have been running very few rocket tosses since the VT game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fun Facts:
Before the season began, when all the weeping and gnashing of teeth (surrounding CPJ's comments about getting back to the core principles of his offense this season) took place, I predicted this would be true. I don't want to make myself sound like Nostradamus, but there were three very big future factors in my mind leading me to that conclusion and it seems all three have come true. First being that JT was underrated as a passer in that he could use his feet to buy time and keep his eyes down field enough to check down if need be. Second being, that this year's group on the OL was better suited for Pass Pro in that they are longer bodies for the most part. Third being that executing the option at a higher level would open the passing game even more. I was not worried about having our passing game heading south. Instead, I was relishing the idea of true play action off the option with a QB who sees the field.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
JeT is a star in the making. PJ called a great game last night and JeT executed it! We could not have ask for anything more from the O except the offside call not happening. JeT will give us a few more years of pure excitement in this offensive scheme.

Agree. Jt is improving in several areas, passing obviously and pitch decisions with speed. The one area of improvement I really like is the mesh. I am finding that quite often I lose who has the the ball. That is really tough on the D. In the film replays you can see some D players chasing the fake and the ball goes right past them.