Justin Thomas

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I was in Tiger Stadium last night and didn't see the game. I followed on the espn game tracker and, like most here, felt the most paradoxical depression when I saw that Smelter scored a 75 yarder.

I did watch the highlights when I got home and I've got to say: JT is the star we thought we were getting a few years ago. His arm is exceptional. His TD pass to Zenon was a triumph in pocket presence that you don't see much in option QBs. The guy is a true playmaker. This season could get ugly if we don't improve on defense but I've got to think we've got a chance for as long as he's in the game and healthy. Glad he's ours.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
JeT is a star in the making. PJ called a great game last night and JeT executed it! We could not have ask for anything more from the O except the offside call not happening. JeT will give us a few more years of pure excitement in this offensive scheme.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
JT (except the pitch) was spot on distributing the ball last night. He had his best game throwing in a while. smelter had a long catch for a TD and a long run on a reverse.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Even the pitch was his fault, imo. That back shoulder throw (which gets practiced everyday) to Zenon was a thing a beauty

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I loved the throw to Zenon. It's a play I don't see us run enough.

It was the BB Wheel route that we've seen a few times. JT saw the DB waiting to pounce so he checked to his next option, the AB dragging across. Don't think I've ever seen us check down on that play.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
My favorite JT play was the first throw to Deon. Looked like he wanted to throw it somewhere else, went to his next read, and gave Deon a chance to catch it in front of him on the run. The TD throw to Zenon was awfully good too.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
It was the BB Wheel route that we've seen a few times. JT saw the DB waiting to pounce so he checked to his next option, the AB dragging across. Don't think I've ever seen us check down on that play.
I don't think I've ever seen us have time to check down on that play. Had JT not dodged the rusher, he wouldn't have had time either. Really impressive play, and not a difficult throw once you make the rusher miss. If that's something he can do regularly, our passing game could end up looking a LOT better.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The way he eludes the defenders reminds me of a good ole' Johnny Football. I look forward to him getting even better and winning the Heisman trophy in 2 years!

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say he responded really well to being "down" at the end of the Duke game!!

He is a true competitor and I look forward to seeing what he does for us over the next two and a half years!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He's a first class athlete in performance and character; both equally important.

agree totally. Not only does he have all the physical skills but he seems to embrace clutch situations. That is not something that can be coached imo...you either have it or you don't. At this point in his career he seems to be playing a bit better than #14 did as a RS-So. The upside potential is enormous. I just hope we can build around him a bit better than we did for little Joe. Joe, on a better team, would have had a Heisman trophy. i agree that this is a lot to put on a young man but he is worthy of the comparison at this point in their respective careers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
4 star Wr according to scout.
4 star ath according to rvials

Was not underrated at all. The recruiting services got him right.
What star rating did he have at quarterback? I get your point, but there's a distinct caveat to the JT recruiting story. Nobody but GT and the service academies wanted him at qb. Most guys with his talent are going the factory route, I mean 99% are taking that Bama ship. JT going his own way is one of the main reasons I like him so much. I can't figure out why Oregon, Auburn or AtM didn't offer qb. In that light, he is most certainly an under the radar guy.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
What star rating did he have at quarterback? I get your point, but there's a distinct caveat to the JT recruiting story. Nobody but GT and the service academies wanted him at qb. Most guys with his talent are going the factory route, I mean 99% are taking that Bama ship. JT going his own way is one of the main reasons I like him so much. I can't figure out why Oregon, Auburn or AtM didn't offer qb. In that light, he is most certainly an under the radar guy.
I basically agree however, my understanding of his being recruited to Bama was that he was clear from the get go he wanted a chance to play QB and at least initially or for a long while Bama maintained that they wanted him to have the chance at QB. It was when Thomas started to really take a look at the QBs they recruit there besides himself and the way they run offense that he started to pester them about if he was truly going to get a chance at QB. I am not certain it has been established that Saban was lying to him or stringing him along knowing full well that he was going to be a d-back there. My point is that Thomas had to have been recruited as a QB to have stuck for as long as he did with Bama. Could that have just been typical factory BS (like Duwop ran into) to get Thomas in there knowing you will make him play dback? Sure, my cynical side definitely believes that. But I don't think Thomas has ever indicated that was the case and so it is possible he was genuinely recruited to have a real shot at QB at Bama.

Ditto on lots of other D1 offenses that it is surprising did not want to go after Thomas as a QB. I suppose it speaks to CPJ and his staff's recruiting acumen. Kind of amazing how all year we keep going up against players we missed out on (or couldn't qualify) who are playing great games against us (Shai MacKenzie, Corn Elder, Junior Gnonkonde). This suggests a good handle on scouting talent.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
No QB rating among the experts! He is a 5 in our of. for sure.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
In retrospect, Vad leaving was the best thing for all parties involved.
It saved CPJ the sensitive task of benching Vad for Justin and it gave Vad a chance to get game experience elsewhere.