Stats Justin Thomas Season Adjusted Stats

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Made a few changes to the spreadsheet. Still counting rocket tosses, though they represent < 25% of the dataset thus far (4/15 were rocket tosses). Through 3.5 quarters of play, JT has 447 yards of total offense, 7TDs (2 rushing, 3 passing, 2 pitching) and 0 INTs... Pretty sick numbers. Let's see if he can keep that up!
If he throws a pitch that gets fumbled, to you credit it to him?

edit: nevermind, I just read further down the thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Thomas is still a long way off from something like yards from pitches being a factor in the heisman discussion.

We need to realize every year there are a lot of great players who aren't in the Heisman discussion, and nor should they be for various reasons. If Thomas can get to something like 1500 rushing 2000 passing, or GT challenges NCAA scoring records (53 for a 13 game schedule iirc) then these things will start to be a factor. But those numbers are a long way away.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Is the fact JeT has been pulled early in both starting games going to hurt his stats at the end of the year?
It could, but maybe the same happens to all Heisman hopefuls when they play cupcakes. If he stays healthy, he'll have more than enough opportunity to rack up the stats in the remaining games.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you take into account the first-half pitch Saturday that was a forward pass and was declared that by the announcers. I think they also said that it was recorded as such.
I noted that, but went back and tracked all passing attempts and compared it to the box score, it was retroactively scored NOT a pass.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Thomas is still a long way off from something like yards from pitches being a factor in the heisman discussion.

We need to realize every year there are a lot of great players who aren't in the Heisman discussion, and nor should they be for various reasons. If Thomas can get to something like 1500 rushing 2000 passing, or GT challenges NCAA scoring records (53 for a 13 game schedule iirc) then these things will start to be a factor. But those numbers are a long way away.
Every little bit helps. Totally agree with you, that in the grand scheme of things, this is just a waste of time... BUT, if JT shows out against ND, and continues to do well, it wouldn't hurt to get a bunch of people tweeting these "lost stats"... I'm sure Herbie would be quick to join in...

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Really? I recorded the game and watched it last night. The ball was clearly pitched forward. Why would they retroactively say it was NOT a pass, when it clearly was?
Don't ask me, I agree with you, but if you go back and count the pass attempts, there were 7 others... (n) Either way, the play would account for my overall offensive yards stat.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't ask me, I agree with you, but if you go back and count the pass attempts, there were 7 others... (n) Either way, the play would account for my overall offensive yards stat.

Not sure where you are looking but ESPN, CBS, and GT's athletic site, are counting it, most obvious evidence is MMarshall's reception. Otherwise there was the pass to Summers, Stewart, Jeune, inc to Stewart, inc to Qua, Qua, Summers, and Summers. That's 8 other passes, 6 completions, so adding the one to Marshall that is 7-9 which ESPN has him at. Maybe you're counting Jordan's lone pass as one for Thomas?

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure where you are looking but ESPN, CBS, and GT's athletic site, are counting it, most obvious evidence is MMarshall's reception. Otherwise there was the pass to Summers, Stewart, Jeune, inc to Stewart, inc to Qua, Qua, Summers, and Summers. That's 8 other passes, 6 completions, so adding the one to Marshall that is 7-9 which ESPN has him at. Maybe you're counting Jordan's lone pass as one for Thomas?
Ah, that must be it... I'm using ESPN's stats.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Heisman, the way players are chosen for it now does not always comport with the stated purpose of the trophy. The purpose of the trophy is not to highlight gaudy statistics, it is to recognize the player who made the biggest contribution (in the nation) to his particular team. It is a kind of MVP plus the attributes of hard work and integrity. Back in the day being a good student was considered a part of it since integrity was considered essential to the award. Originally it was not assumed that the player would be an offensive player either but that pattern soon developed, outside of a few players. Prior to early 60's most teams did not platoon, so a Heisman winner was presumably someone who contributed on both sides of the ball. Again, an emphasis on performance which lifts the whole team. Now it pretty much has to be either a quarterback or a running back.

Just an incoherent ramble to say that if the award is given today to the most valuable quarterback, regardless of stats, JT has to be considered. Unless he performs below his expected standards.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see you add a fields for "Pass/Pitch Yards" and "Pass/Pitch TD's." If the idea is that a pitch is basically a short pass, then I think you should have a way to see just that data summarized.