Stats Justin Thomas Season Adjusted Stats

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
So, the season is finally upon us! I committed to compiling JT's yards due to pitches and rocket tosses. I will continue this as the season goes on. Anyone can view the spreadsheet here. I'm also open to suggestions on how to improve it.

Just from the 1st quarter of the Alcorn State game, JT was responsible for an additional 92 yards of offense that don't show up on the stat line for him. Hopefully as the #JT5Heisman campaign picks up steam, this will be of use to the media.

NOTE: I've included rocket tosses because I view them as no different from smoke passes, which do get counted as receptions and passing yards under a normal offense.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a cool idea, but if you want it to get any credibility for non-fans of our offense, I wouldn't include rocket tosses. They're not much different than toss sweeps in a traditional O.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Anytime the ball flies from the qb's hand on purpose, it is a pass, either forward or backward. Unfortunately, only forward passes count in the qb's stats.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with not counting the rocket tosses.

The most important analysis, imo, would just be including the additional option plays. If the play is a called handoff up the middle, or a designed pitch play, it really doesn't get into the QBs decisionmaking at all.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with not counting the rocket tosses.

The most important analysis, imo, would just be including the additional option plays. If the play is a called handoff up the middle, or a designed pitch play, it really doesn't get into the QBs decisionmaking at all.
That's past my pay grade. Sure, that would be interesting to know from us addicts, but I'm doing this purely to hype JT to the media. Hence, a selfish reason to include rocket tosses. If you care, you can filter those out, since I label each row as such.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's past my pay grade. Sure, that would be interesting to know from us addicts, but I'm doing this purely to hype JT to the media. Hence, a selfish reason to include rocket tosses. If you care, you can filter those out, since I label each row as such.

It's cool either way. Thanks for doing it! It will be awesome to see, for sure.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Made a few changes to the spreadsheet. Still counting rocket tosses, though they represent < 25% of the dataset thus far (4/15 were rocket tosses). Through 3.5 quarters of play, JT has 447 yards of total offense, 7TDs (2 rushing, 3 passing, 2 pitching) and 0 INTs... Pretty sick numbers. Let's see if he can keep that up!

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
eeeeehhhh including rocket tosses is a stretch in my opinion. Then you'd have to give QB's credit for toss sweeps and such. I think stick to option plays.

JT is #3 of unqualified QB's in ESPN's Total QBR. He does not have enough action plays/game to qualify...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
eeeeehhhh including rocket tosses is a stretch in my opinion. Then you'd have to give QB's credit for toss sweeps and such. I think stick to option plays.

JT is #3 of unqualified QB's in ESPN's Total QBR. He does not have enough action plays/game to qualify...

He'll be qualified by the end of the season, and his ranking will still be up there imo.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Alright, alright. I guess it's overwhelming that people think I shouldn't include Rocket Tosses. For posterity, I'll still track them throughout the season, but now there's a dropdown on the Season Stats tab that lets you control whether they're included in both the season tally as well as individual game tallies. Play with the dropdown (as that's the only field you have access to edit).

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean I agree that the rocket toss is similar to a quick screen pass and likely nearly equivalent difficulty, but other QB's run tosses at various yardages as well.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I also wonder if you should include fumbled pitches as sort of a separate category. The QB still gets credited with an INT even if a receiver deflects a perfectly thrown ball. That's why I ask.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I also wonder if you should include fumbled pitches as sort of a separate category. The QB still gets credited with an INT even if a receiver deflects a perfectly thrown ball. That's why I ask.

Oh, yeah I'm planning on adding that, as well as per-game completion percentage/YPC, etc... Just haven't gotten around to it. Though, the fumble was credited to Snoddy? I mean in that case, I think Snoddy was the responsible party - it was a catchable pitch... I guess it's debatable.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Made a few changes to the spreadsheet. Still counting rocket tosses, though they represent < 25% of the dataset thus far (4/15 were rocket tosses). Through 3.5 quarters of play, JT has 447 yards of total offense, 7TDs (2 rushing, 3 passing, 2 pitching) and 0 INTs... Pretty sick numbers. Let's see if he can keep that up!
Honest question, not trying to be a smart a**, if we as counting pitches as positive then shouldn't snoddy's dropped pitch count as a turnover against Thomas?