Justin Thomas for Heisman in 2015?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Heck yes he has done his base year and GT should and I would guess will support him.
2015 maybe successful but 2016 - good chance!

NOW
Shouldn't some one at GTAA research keep up with "yards from pitch" as well as yds from pass .
Also - some way to get recognition for how few errors on exchange!

We should get highlights ready.

He is by far the best Qb we have had at ball security while still making exciting plays ( GTAA or longest day should save these!?) . Who can forget the pitch to smelter on the reverse?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Our offense isn't set up for a QB to win it. We distribute the ball around to much.
Yep. Justin's numbers are always going to be highly influenced by how the other team decides to play us as well. Look at the Miami game. He had 27 yards rushing and 53 yards passing. On paper it seems like a pretty mediocre game for him but he played nearly perfectly in that game. Sometimes it's hard to quantify how well an option QB is playing.

Eric should delete this thread. Why are we even discussing this subject ? I hate when high expectations are giving, especially this one. JT is going to be a good player for us but to put him in the Heisman topic is to premature at this point.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
mariota has 4500 and 48 TD's... different era...

Spread, no defenses, more points....

Different era in college football.

I agree that the age of the spread offense has increased offensive production, but It would seem that production for the winners of the Heisman hasn’t changed that much since around the time of Crouch:

Look at QB’s who won just before and just after Crouch:

2000 - Chris Weinke - 266 Cmp, 431 Att, 4167 Yds, 33 TD, 11 Int

2002 - Carson Palmer - 309 Cmp, 489 Att, 3942 Yds, 33 TD, 10 Int

Now look at the last two winners of the award:

2013 – Jameis Winston - 257 Cmp, 384 Att, 4057 Yds, 40 TD, 10 Int

2012 – Johnny Manziel - 295 Cmp, 434 Att, 3706 Yds, 26 TD, 9 Int

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If Justin can "outplay" Dak Prescott in the Orange Bowl, then I would suggest that would be a great "springboard" for a more "formal" path to a Heisman Trophy. We'll have a National TV audience to ourselves, playing against, perhaps a preseason favorite for the Heisman for next season, and I think that if Justin can put on a good show with the Jackets, then who knows what the National Press will go away with?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
By 2016 - let's hope JT has some game breakers at bb, ab and receiver so he gets less attention. Now it's defense says bb or ab open but little no Qb fake and run.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nah not in this offense.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lds-navy-quarterback-heisman-trophy/14625213/
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-grows-leader-navy-while-growing-he/?page=all
http://www.si.com/edge/2014/05/30/can-heisman-hopeful-keenan-reynolds-take-navy-football-further

Imo, the Heisman is awarded because of two factors: buzz and results, both personal and team. I don't think the offensive style has that much to do with it. KR shows that you can get the buzz. JT has shown that he can get the results.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not this offense? If we succeed it will be largely due to one guy, the qb. The qb is going to be the one running the show and he will get credited for the success of what happens.

If the team has another good year next year, continues to be discussed in the media, and he specifically has some good numbers why can't he have a chance?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A Heisman run, or campaign of any kind, is not something I care about. Just win as a team and build on this year. If he ends up in the discussion next November I am sure I will be rooting for him, as I was when Lil Joe got ripped off. However, if he ends up never being on the radar, I could care less as long as we are kicking rear end and winning championships.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
He probaly wont have the stats.
A bback may have a better shot, but I doubt a qb.

I agree with the fact that stats are going to be the biggest thing holding him back. Do you think that he has to get some of the credit for the bback stats due to him making the right reads?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT is not worried about his stats. He is worried about making the right reads and making accurate passes when needed. There are some games where the "right reads" will give JT almost no stats. He is all about winning.
In rewatching the FSU game, you can see how much pride he takes in making the correct read. You notice his body language when he knows he made a bad read. It kills him.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the main reasons for our success this year has been chemistry and unselfishness, players sacrificing for the good of the team. A Heisman campaign kind of goes against this mentality, so I hope we don't do it. If we finish the year in the 4-team playoff and the offense plays lights out all year long, then our QB will be in the discussion. But I am willing to bet that every player on our team, including JT, will tell you they would rather have an opportunity to play for a National Championship that win individual awards.