Just asking

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The question is whether he can clean up the false starts, missed OL assignments and punt blocking in the next several games. First games with new players always identifies where attention to detail is needed. There were a lot of new faces out there Monday night including his staff. Unfortunately there should have been more experienced players out there in his 4th year.
The biggest improvement is usually between the first game and the second. I know it's just WCU, but hopefully we'll at least see the blocking and the penalties fixed. And I know the OL was up against a fierce DL, but the beat goes on and I haven't seen anything yet to inspire confidence in Brent Key. We'll see what happens...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I gotta admit the eyeball test would leave you to believe we played better. That’s what I believed I saw live and in person despite the individual griping about different play calls and certain players. However, I’m personally confused because the data says otherwise in a lot of cases. It’s rare I find myself disconnected to this degree, but for some reason the stats outside of the score were much worse than I would have guessed not looking them up.
The OL has actually regressed in four years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I have said that we needed to look like we could be competent on a field with the big boys. We are close. This years game is the best we've done against a top tier opponent. The score last year may have been closer, but I think we played a better game this year all around.
I think the stats and of course score from last year's game vs this year's game suggest otherwise, but they are quite interesting to compare and share a number of similarities. I think a lot of y'all are feeling good based on 2.5 quarters of play being compared to our last two games last season, and not compared to how we played Clemson last year.

2021 (2022)
298 (237) yds total offense
203 (164) passing
6.0 (4.6) avg/completion
20/34 (23/36) passing
65.1 (62.8) QBR
95 (73) rushing
2.5 (2.4) avg/rush
3 (1) trips inside the redzone
3/14 (2/16) 3rd down
2/3 (2/3) 4th down
10 (10) penalties
63 (86) penalty yards
1 (1) Turnover
30:10 (29:13) TOP

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you watched our offense in this game and thought, wow, we look significantly better, then you were going to think that no matter what the offense did. We were terrible on offense Monday night. They may actually be better though. I don't think the Clemson game really proved much either way as Clemson is just too tough on defense. The Ole Miss game will be a much better barometer.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

slugboy

Staff member
If you watched our offense in this game and thought, wow, we look significantly better, then you were going to think that no matter what the offense did. We were terrible on offense Monday night. They may actually be better though. I don't think the Clemson game really proved much either way as Clemson is just too tough on defense. The Ole Miss game will be a much better barometer.
On DEFENSE I think the first three quarters were night and day from last year. Even when we gave up the TD after the first blocked punt, I was impressed with the stand—and thought we were close. In fact, in both of the first two TDs, we were close to holding them to a FG or less.

I’m not saying that we’re a top 25 defense, but we looked more promising than we have since UNC last year. In this case, it looks different.

On OFFENSE, we had too many 3-and-outs. We can get into reasons, like missed blocks, but Clemson mostly shut down our run game. One of Long’s strategies is to use one or more TEs, but we didn’t have two TEs making a positive blocking difference. Looking back, should we have moved to 10-personnel?

Or, use a tackle or guard as a TE?

We have a lot to fix from Monday. I have a lot of hope we will.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Clemson had two new coordinators. We had one. We still don’t know how good we are or Clemson for that matter. The sad part is that we have gone from 7 wins are not good enough to moral victories. I don’t even get poked fun of by Georgia fans anymore. Sad state of affairs.
A really good friend of mine is a UGA alum. He went to GT one year but realized he wouldn't have the GPA needed for med school so transferred. We used to discuss both teams potential. We don't even discuss it anymore. He knows how big the difference is and they are more interested in winning the National championship while we worry about just winning more than we lose. He might ask my opinion about the season but he is just being polite. I used to comment on all the player arrests up in Athens but like most of their fans, he could care less as long as they win. BTW he did go to med school. It wouldn't bother me to drop them off the schedule.

JacketFan137

Banned
A really good friend of mine is a UGA alum. He went to GT one year but realized he wouldn't have the GPA needed for med school so transferred. We used to discuss both teams potential. We don't even discuss it anymore. He knows how big the difference is and they are more interested in winning the National championship while we worry about just winning more than we lose. He might ask my opinion about the season but he is just being polite. I used to comment on all the player arrests up in Athens but like most of their fans, he could care less as long as they win. BTW he did go to med school. It wouldn't bother me to drop them off the schedule.
i think this is just an unfortunate part of college football in 2022. for every one of us you can find the equivalent in other conferences. tennessee hasn’t played too many competitive games vs bama the last decade+, ohio state has just flown past some big 10 teams, oklahoma has been borderline untouchable vs some of their conference foes.

too much money in the game both on the table and under the table for schools like us to close gaps like that over sustained periods. better coaching would help but at the end of paul johnson’s tenure and throughout collins tenure the gap in athleticism and talent has just been far too great to expect competitive games

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Met two people on way to or at the tail gate that speak to player transition that is moved to the back ground by this thread.
OL
Alabama Big
Bubba's dad and I shared a Walmart diesel pump we in Montgomery. Bubda is a( 6'6" 330# shoe size 18 ) freshman ol at Alabama. Dad says he was by far biggest in HS, but now Bubba tells him I yhought I was big but these guys are big. BUBBA will work to become Alabama big.

Gt big
Saw Will Bryan ( still teaching strength training) who feels great since he has lost weight down to his lean weight. My guess is 255 as he looks like my son (6'5"- playing senior o line weight 315- is back to 260).

Imo, many are under estimating how much physical stress our gt ol guys put on their bodies as they pack on muscle.

At the hiring of cgc
"""The swarm was totally against processing players in the transition.""" Tstan and cgc have given the guys at gt every chance to change bodies and compete for a spot. Had they given them all the talk and put out the open for transfers sign I would be have been disappointed. We did it the Tech way and it took an extra few year. We should appreciate the effort and sacrifice by the Morgan, Lee, Smith families to fight for Ga Tech.

Now we are past that and have a whole lineup of young naturally big ol who will have 2 -4 years after this year. Against Clemson we played ol Redshirt freshmen and sophomores.

I am glad we gave the previous coach's players a fair shot and I am optimistic that by end of year Key will have a solid lineup for the future.

Good Qb
Clemson Qb - they just reload - at benz we saw skolls of a true freshman ( Case K) that played for texas high school coach who is already in Texas high school coach hall of fame. He knows all the defenses and can make the throws if there is good blocking.
Gt qb
Cgc gave all the option qbs a shot. Got Sims to come and is now all in Wienke as his personal coach. All the bad blocking has given Sims knowledge that will make him very good.

If Sims stays health, i am confident we will look like a real team by VT.

Yea if transfer portal was allowed and if cgc had processed 30 , we would be further along in won loss.

The biggest issue has been head coach has not demonstrated a deep or Football competence / knowledge.

Going forward with quality players in place - can we afford to not replace cgc?
Can he get us to the unc, VT, mia level? Last half season is CGC stays or go.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am optimistic that by end of year Key will have a solid lineup for the future.
I wish I shared your optimism. In my estimation, the OL has made zero progress over four long years, and that's our main problem. But we'll see what happens...

The DL on the other hand looks quite promising. If we can get to six wins this year, it will be the defense that pulls us through. I'm very impressed with their play against Clemson. The line looked solid, the tackling was crisp, and the pass coverage was greatly improved.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
If this were CGC's first year instead of his fourth, how would you feel about the outcome of the Clemson game? Would you be pleased/unhappy with the team's performance? Would you simply be giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Discuss. You may use both sides of the page if necessary.
Randy, Interesting question (in theory).
Yes, I would probably be a bit more optimistic if that were truly his first game and not his 35th game as HC at GT, and particularly coming on the heels of CPJ's retirement and his spread triple option offense.
I remain very skeptical that CGC can be a successful winning coach at GT when I look at his body of work and results. Realistically, Clemson is light years better than us and we competed for 2.5 quarters before mistakes and fatigue caught up. I liked the defense vs Clemson and maybe his attention to that side of the ball is what he does best.
Correct the false start penalties, get the offense humming and continue playing smart aggressive defense and I'll be a believer. But short of 6-6 and competing in the losses, I would pull his contract and send him packing.
I don't want to overlook WCU (like we did last year with NIU) but then Ole Miss at home, UCF and Pitt on the road will tell us how much progress, or not we have made. We will be underdogs in those last three games. By the time Duke arrives on October 8th, we may be 1-4. Optimism would be real at 2-3 or 3-2.
Randy, I hope I am wrong about CGC and the season, and thanks for the interesting question.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If this were CGC's first year instead of his fourth, how would you feel about the outcome of the Clemson game? Would you be pleased/unhappy with the team's performance? Would you simply be giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Discuss. You may use both sides of the page if necessary.
Don't need both sides of the page. It's simple - were CGC 0-1 instead of 9-26, I'd be much more prone to give him the benefit of the doubt (as I did when he was 0-1) and I'd be more optimistic.

That having been said, I haven't given up on him yet. But he's going to have to win six out of the next ten or his time will be up on November 27.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Met two people on way to or at the tail gate that speak to player transition that is moved to the back ground by this thread.
OL
Alabama Big
Bubba's dad and I shared a Walmart diesel pump we in Montgomery. Bubda is a( 6'6" 330# shoe size 18 ) freshman ol at Alabama. Dad says he was by far biggest in HS, but now Bubba tells him I yhought I was big but these guys are big. BUBBA will work to become Alabama big.

Gt big
Saw Will Bryan ( still teaching strength training) who feels great since he has lost weight down to his lean weight. My guess is 255 as he looks like my son (6'5"- playing senior o line weight 315- is back to 260).

Imo, many are under estimating how much physical stress our gt ol guys put on their bodies as they pack on muscle.

At the hiring of cgc
"""The swarm was totally against processing players in the transition.""" Tstan and cgc have given the guys at gt every chance to change bodies and compete for a spot. Had they given them all the talk and put out the open for transfers sign I would be have been disappointed. We did it the Tech way and it took an extra few year. We should appreciate the effort and sacrifice by the Morgan, Lee, Smith families to fight for Ga Tech.

Now we are past that and have a whole lineup of young naturally big ol who will have 2 -4 years after this year. Against Clemson we played ol Redshirt freshmen and sophomores.

I am glad we gave the previous coach's players a fair shot and I am optimistic that by end of year Key will have a solid lineup for the future.

Good Qb
Clemson Qb - they just reload - at benz we saw skolls of a true freshman ( Case K) that played for texas high school coach who is already in Texas high school coach hall of fame. He knows all the defenses and can make the throws if there is good blocking.
Gt qb
Cgc gave all the option qbs a shot. Got Sims to come and is now all in Wienke as his personal coach. All the bad blocking has given Sims knowledge that will make him very good.

If Sims stays health, i am confident we will look like a real team by VT.

Yea if transfer portal was allowed and if cgc had processed 30 , we would be further along in won loss.

The biggest issue has been head coach has not demonstrated a deep or Football competence / knowledge.

Going forward with quality players in place - can we afford to not replace cgc?
Can he get us to the unc, VT, mia level? Last half season is CGC stays or go.
Great points / post. I agree with most all of it and the two bolded comments are the two biggest "ifs" we've got this year... can Sims stay healthy, and are CGC issues growing pains or inability? We don't get to answer either one for a while...
I am seeing progress at each individual position and I think that bodes well for our future, regardless.... if we can hold on to kids through a potential major staff change

alagold

Helluva Engineer
As a first yr guy, it would be ok. As a 4th yr, not good at all. ---Having a SECOND punt blocked is CRAZY bad. TEN penalties is BAD! Not coming even close to the betting line is again --bad.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'll go so far as to say if CGC had shed our old OC and changed up the defensive staff appropriately LAST year I'd have given him a bigger break. I think the problems we saw last year were abundantly evident the year before and should have been fixed back then. This year it's not "OK" that we are where we are. However, in looking at the context we were clearly in this game, in spite of all the early penalties and mistakes and poor play by our OL, for 3/4 of the game. No, at no point did I think we would win. But I saw some things that told me we've made some improvements. Will they be enough to get us to 6-7 wins? Jury is still out. I didn't like what I saw from our OL but by the same token I recognize Clemson's DL is special. I'm not sure how much of what I saw was poor OL play and how much was stellar DL play. Obviously it was some of both. I'm hoping it was more stellar DL play but I'd be lying if I said I knew it was or wasn't.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't need both sides of the page. It's simple - were CGC 0-1 instead of 9-26, I'd be much more prone to give him the benefit of the doubt (as I did when he was 0-1) and I'd be more optimistic.

That having been said, I haven't given up on him yet. But he's going to have to win six out of the next ten or his time will be up on November 27.
It’s kind of like taking a test. If I miss the first question, I am still thinking I can make an “A”. But if I only get 9 of the first 35 right, I am not feeling good about it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Honest question, not trying to be an ***, what is the real point of this question? It seems it’s to imply that those upset with Monday night are frustrated about the past and are holding all of the past mistakes on Monday night. However, if the point is to progress from Year 1 to Year 4, shouldn’t the whole package be a part of Monday’s assessment? Of course a blow out loss in one’s first career game is going to be less frustrating than a blow out in Year 4 after three straight losing seasons.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honest question, not trying to be an ***, what is the real point of this question? It seems it’s to imply that those upset with Monday night are frustrated about the past and are holding all of the past mistakes on Monday night. However, if the point is to progress from Year 1 to Year 4, shouldn’t the whole package be a part of Monday’s assessment? Of course a blow out loss in one’s first career game is going to be less frustrating than a blow out in Year 4 after three straight losing seasons.

I wasn't looking for a point when I answered other than Collins has history.

When you have a history of winning you can get away (sometimes) with being an *** or extra bragging. But as soon as you start losing, watch out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good question. I would have been extremely encouraged for sure. Especially if that were Jeff’s first game and our first defensive performance. I would have chalked up the penalties to players getting used to a new scheme against a big team on a big stage and thought that the special teams issues just needed a little more attention. I still would have been dumbfounded by the timeout decisions.

This is a good exercise I think, but we need to be looking for improvement both within a season and across seasons. Geoff has an opportunity with this team, and I’m willing to wait and see. Given what we saw I think this team is capable of making a bowl game. I just hope that our AD makes a truly honest assessment at the end of the season.