Just asking

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If this were CGC's first year instead of his fourth, how would you feel about the outcome of the Clemson game? Would you be pleased/unhappy with the team's performance? Would you simply be giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Discuss. You may use both sides of the page if necessary.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
First year I give him a pass as a first year ACC head coach. I would give him some time to learn the game management portion of the game. First year gets a pass for the miserable leadership.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If this were CGC's first year instead of his fourth, how would you feel about the outcome of the Clemson game? Would you be pleased/unhappy with the team's performance? Would you simply be giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Discuss. You may use both sides of the page if necessary.

If this were CGC's first year instead of his fourth, how would you feel about the outcome of the Clemson game? I would feel good about the performance of the team overall but not the score at the end. A loss to a potential CFP team was expected and we held our own for almost quarters.

Would you be pleased/unhappy with the team's performance? I would feel good about the performance of the team overall. Largely since coaching transitions take two or so years and it would be the first year transition. A loss to a potential CFP team was expected and we held our own for almost quarters.

Would you simply be giving him the benefit of the doubt? Yes I would give him or any other coach the benefit of the doubt in his first season. And think that the coaches' time management issues could be correctable.

I don't get paid by the word, not further explanation needed.

(PS - like the post!)

JacketFan137

Banned
wouldn’t say pleased or unpleased. a lot of good things to see. that was probably the best our o line has looked vs clemson in 8 years. can’t say we have looked remotely at their level on the o line since 2014 and our YOUNG line made up of transfers and first year players looked serviceable

would still be concerned about the penalties and the clock management. that’s stuff you should do right from high school football, not just college and pro.

so hate to be a politician but there’s good and bad to take away

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Questionable in-game decision making and TO management. Didn’t really seem to have the OL quite ready. Cautiously optimistic about our future.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
lol. Of course fans are more forgiving in game one than game 35. It's pretty normal to expect progression and improvement. We did actually play Clemson in Collins first game. They had just won the national championship, going undefeated. We didn't look much worse in that game than we did in this game. Thats the cause of alot of peoples angst.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims looked better in the short passing game. Kudos to Long to put him in plays he could execute. Defense looked good for 2 1/2 quarters. FG kicker looked decent and didn't get kicks blocked. Major concerns were inability to get push on run blocking, punt team, and lack of depth on defense. If we can't run the ball against Ole Miss and UCF, the defense will not survive their fast pace offenses.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
lol. Of course fans are more forgiving in game one than game 35. It's pretty normal to expect progression and improvement. We did actually play Clemson in Collins first game. They had just won the national championship, going undefeated. We didn't look much worse in that game than we did in this game. Thats the cause of alot of peoples angst.

That's because people aren't really paying attention. In 2019, we were down 28-0 at the half and 35-0 with 12+ minutes left in the third quarter. We essentially scored two garbage time TDs against their backups. We looked terrible in that game. This year we looked like an actual football team even with the massive talent gap on the lines.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That's because people aren't really paying attention. In 2019, we were down 28-0 at the half and 35-0 with 12+ minutes left in the third quarter. We essentially scored two garbage time TDs against their backups. We looked terrible in that game. This year we looked like an actual football team even with the massive talent gap on the lines.
Ok, if we only care about the first half, in 2019 we averaged 2.97 yards per play in the first half. This year we averaged 2.91. We did get 3 points this year which beat 2019 but im not sure many are going to call a 3 point difference significant. The real difference between 2019 and 2022 is that Clemson had one of the best offenses in the country. The 2022 Clemson offense probably isn't a top 50 offense. If you think that this years GT defense would have held the 2019 Clemson offense to 14 points at the half then ill have to disagree.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok, if we only care about the first half, in 2019 we averaged 2.97 yards per play in the first half. This year we averaged 2.91. We did get 3 points this year which beat 2019 but im not sure many are going to call a 3 point difference significant. The real difference between 2019 and 2022 is that Clemson had one of the best offenses in the country. The 2022 Clemson offense probably isn't a top 50 offense. If you think that this years GT defense would have held the 2019 Clemson offense to 14 points at the half then ill have to disagree.

Probably wouldn't have, but that misses the point. We were never going to win either of these games, but this year, utilizing a more mainstream approach to offensive scheming, we were able to sustain drives against a very good Clemson Defense. In 2019, it was a lot of QB scramble with some Jordan Mason mixed in. If you're looking to assert that we are not a better football team than we were in 2019, then you are just plain wrong. There have been a lot of improvements, and it is very likely that they are about to start paying off in wins on the field.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Probably wouldn't have, but that misses the point. We were never going to win either of these games, but this year, utilizing a more mainstream approach to offensive scheming, we were able to sustain drives against a very good Clemson Defense. In 2019, it was a lot of QB scramble with some Jordan Mason mixed in. If you're looking to assert that we are not a better football team than we were in 2019, then you are just plain wrong. There have been a lot of improvements, and it is very likely that they are about to start paying off in wins on the field.
We had 9 three and outs (or less) in 14 drives on Monday. In 2019 we had 7 out of 14. Im not sure we were really sustaining drives at a higher level.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The question is whether he can clean up the false starts, missed OL assignments and punt blocking in the next several games. First games with new players always identifies where attention to detail is needed. There were a lot of new faces out there Monday night including his staff. Unfortunately there should have been more experienced players out there in his 4th year.

JacketFan137

Banned
The question is whether he can clean up the false starts, missed OL assignments and punt blocking in the next several games. First games with new players always identifies where attention to detail is needed. There were a lot of new faces out there Monday night including his staff. Unfortunately there should have been more experienced players out there in his 4th year.
6 years ago i could have agreed with you that we should have more experience but i think we need to be prepared to see a lot more really young teams for us. the portal is gonna give and take a lot.

fortunately most of our portal guys are pretty young and should be here the next two years or so

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, if you're convinced we aren't a better team than three years ago, no amount of reason is going to sway you.
I gotta admit the eyeball test would leave you to believe we played better. That’s what I believed I saw live and in person despite the individual griping about different play calls and certain players. However, I’m personally confused because the data says otherwise in a lot of cases. It’s rare I find myself disconnected to this degree, but for some reason the stats outside of the score were much worse than I would have guessed not looking them up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I gotta admit the eyeball test would leave you to believe we played better. That’s what I believed I saw live and in person despite the individual griping about different play calls and certain players. However, I’m personally confused because the data says otherwise in a lot of cases. It’s rare I find myself disconnected to this degree, but for some reason the stats outside of the score were much worse than I would have guessed not looking them up.

Sometimes data can straight up fool you. In 2019, we played Clemson at their home turf and they had no idea what we were going to throw at them offensively. They knew it wasn't likely to be the 3O and they also knew it wasn't likely to be NFL lite either. We had an NFL running back in Mason and an athletic QB that was able to make hay on the ground. What we didn't do was run any sort of balanced attack at them. We made some hay against their back ups, and the 90 yard garbage time TD drive skews the stats. This year, we didn't have a 90 yard drive, but we did see some success in moving the ball for a series or two before we would shoot ourselves in the foot with a dumb penalty. I have said that we needed to look like we could be competent on a field with the big boys. We are close. This years game is the best we've done against a top tier opponent. The score last year may have been closer, but I think we played a better game this year all around. We've still got a ways to go, but I feel better about our chances after watching our team in this game.

Of course, I said that last year after the Clemson game, and it may turn out that Clemson is a really bad team (doubtful) but I still like our chances this year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, if you're convinced we aren't a better team than three years ago, no amount of reason is going to sway you.
If you watched our offense in this game and thought, wow, we look significantly better, then you were going to think that no matter what the offense did. We were terrible on offense Monday night. They may actually be better though. I don't think the Clemson game really proved much either way as Clemson is just too tough on defense. The Ole Miss game will be a much better barometer.