Junior Gnonkonde

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC DE Junior Gnonkonde Moving On
ic_shadow_18.jpg

Greg Barnes
Tuesday at 7:47 PM
The Ivory Coast native was a key member of UNC's defensive line rotation last fall.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Defensive end Junior Gnonkonde will not play his senior season at North Carolina, Larry Fedora confirmed on Tuesday.

“He graduates in May and won’t be with us in the fall,” Fedora said after UNC’s second practice of spring ball.

Gnonkonde, a native of the Ivory Coast, appeared in 11 games in 2015 and finished with 34 tackles, 7.0 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and eight quarterback hurries. He totaled 97 tackles and 12 tackles for loss in 37 career games.

The 6-foot-4, 260-pounder had two career starts, both coming last fall.

Upon graduation, Gnonkonde will be eligible to play next season as a graduate transfer at another school provided he seeks a graduate degree in a major not offered at UNC.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
He could certainly help us. Probably unlikely as the hill kicked him to the curb when he was a commit.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Does the ACC even allow graduate transfers between schools? I doubt we have a degree program that UNC doesn't anyway.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, we have lots of degree programs UNC doesn't considering that UNC lacks an engineering school. And you can play other games, like saying that "History, Technology, and Society" is a different degree than "History." But he's probably not coming here.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying it couldn't happen but I seem to remember he and his guardian were pretty upset the way his offer was pulled before. I'm not sure if there is any resentment there or not. Does anyone have any insight on where that was left?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I thought when you graduated you could transfer with no strings attached? Anyone have an update on this rule?
The rule says "To a school with a graduate program that is not offered by your current school" but it's pretty flexible especially if you do not get admitted to your school's program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Total stream of consciousness here...... In my youth I transferred to go to college in New Jersey. I went to a concert on the campus of Princeton and learned the following story. The concert venue was designed by an architect who had flunked while taking architecture at Princeton. Later, as a successful architect, he won the bid to build the concert venue for Princeton. The design he used was the one a Princeton professor had given him an "F" on.

As a friend of mine used to say, "If that story is not true it ought to be."

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I thought CPJ was instrumental in getting Junior a scholarship at UNC. When it became clear his credits wouldn't get him into GT, CPJ started making calls. He was our first commit that year so he had a lot of ground to make up from being off the market so long

LibertyTurns

Banned
There have been atleast 2 guys I know that flunked out of GT, came back years later to get their PhD's and served in fairly prominent positions in the School of Engineering. One guy I know that flunked out helped pay for a campus building. You won't find his name on it unless you know where to look.

They weren't dumb guys, we just drank too much beer for our own good back in the day. Some of us survived, some got the boot. All but a few have had successful careers. The ones that struggled professionally usually had their little head get in the way of the big head.