Juice Builds Juice

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Miami was smart, they would have went after Mike Leach the last 3 times they had an opening. Leach pretty much campaigned for the job back in 2010. He spends his offseason in Key West, so it would have been perfect for him...and Miami. Think of all the Mike Leach - Paul Johnson battles over the years and the contrast in offenses. Football X's and O's dream. Of course, Miami is still chasing their glory years and can't get out of their own way. Im OK with that.

UNC looks like they're heading in the right direction defensively, offensively, and recruiting. UNC was always tabbed as a sleeping giant because of the talent in the area.

The fact is, even with UNC improving, it's still a mediocre division. UNC still finished 7-6 last season. I don't expect that to be the norm with them since they made fantastic coaching hires all around.

GT still has the ability to put ourselves squarely in the conversation for Coastal eliteness. Recruiting is improving. Will be interesting to see how our offense plays out. IMO, in this day and age of college football, if you want quick success and to put yourself on the map, you better have a great offense. Defense will still win championships, but offense will build your brand and get recruits to notice you.

GTFLETCH

Banned
With 7 recruits ....Rivals ranks us 49th in the nation & 247 has us at 46th!! Juice builds Juice... We were like 64th 2 weeks ago..

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With 7 recruits ....Rivals ranks us 49th in the nation & 247 has us at 46th!! Juice builds Juice... We were like 64th 2 weeks ago..
2 spots back of Oklahoma. Ahead of Alabama, Florida State, Louisville, Auburn, South Carolina, TCU, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Stanford, UCLA, and Utah!! Damn, it still feels good to be kings at recruiting!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
with Patenaude calling the O?

I don't think we can truly judge Patenaude until the offense gets the players that fit his scheme. His top two QBs got hurt, and we had to start a Redshirt Freshmen at QB that spent most of spring trying to stay eligible. Our O-line was a mess with walk ons playing significant minutes. The two most important units on offense were not only short handed and ill-fitting, but they were also trying to learn a new system. That's not a recipe for succes.

There was a recent AJC article about how the O-Line was meshing better, and after a year and an offseason of learning this offense, everything was second nature to them now. That would not have happened if the coaches were constantly changing schemes. There's something to be said about staying the course with your system and taking lumps in the short term to set up the long term.

If you read Patenaude's bio, he's broken records at every stop he was an OC. I expect to see an offense similar to what he ran at Coastal Carolina...and he put up some pretty impressive numbers there. The one thing I said when CGC brought Patenaude is that CGC is a defensive guy (a very good one at that). That means he has studied MANY offenses and had to coach against many of them. I'm sure he knew what to look for and what would create trouble for opposing DCs. CGC isn't a Chan Gailey control the ball, don't make mistakes, and play good defense kind of guy. If that was the case, Patenaude would not have been hired at Temple. Let's see how it plays out. I expect to have some more growing pains this year, but I also expect us to see the light at the end of the tunnel...and I actually expect us to have a few games where our offense actually wins us games and looks explosive.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we can truly judge Patenaude until the offense gets the players that fit his scheme. His top two QBs got hurt, and we had to start a Redshirt Freshmen at QB that spent most of spring trying to stay eligible. Our O-line was a mess with walk ons playing significant minutes. The two most important units on offense were not only short handed and ill-fitting, but they were also trying to learn a new system. That's not a recipe for succes.

There was a recent AJC article about how the O-Line was meshing better, and after a year and an offseason of learning this offense, everything was second nature to them now. That would not have happened if the coaches were constantly changing schemes. There's something to be said about staying the course with your system and taking lumps in the short term to set up the long term.

If you read Patenaude's bio, he's broken records at every stop he was an OC. I expect to see an offense similar to what he ran at Coastal Carolina...and he put up some pretty impressive numbers there. The one thing I said when CGC brought Patenaude is that CGC is a defensive guy (a very good one at that). That means he has studied MANY offenses and had to coach against many of them. I'm sure he knew what to look for and what would create trouble for opposing DCs. CGC isn't a Chan Gailey control the ball, don't make mistakes, and play good defense kind of guy. If that was the case, Patenaude would not have been hired at Temple. Let's see how it plays out. I expect to have some more growing pains this year, but I also expect us to see the light at the end of the tunnel...and I actually expect us to have a few games where our offense actually wins us games and looks explosive.

Rational thought can be quite dangerous.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

His offenses at Temple were ranked 61st and 80th. What records did he break there?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His offenses at Temple were ranked 61st and 80th. What records did he break there?

https://ramblinwreck.com/coach/dave-patenaude/

Under Patenaude’s direction, Temple put together two of the three highest single-season passing totals in school history (3,273 yards in 2017, 3,297 yards in 2018) and ranked 23rd nationally in scoring offense in 2018. Individually, TU running back Ryquell Armstrong ranked third in the American Athletic Conference and 16th nationally in rushing (109.8 ypg) and wide receiver Randle Jones ranked third in the AAC and 15th nationally in yards per reception (19.35 avg.) in ’18. Armstrong went on to be selected in the fifth round of the 2019 National Football League Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

When was the last time GT threw for over 3,000 yards?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
https://ramblinwreck.com/coach/dave-patenaude/

Under Patenaude’s direction, Temple put together two of the three highest single-season passing totals in school history (3,273 yards in 2017, 3,297 yards in 2018) and ranked 23rd nationally in scoring offense in 2018. Individually, TU running back Ryquell Armstrong ranked third in the American Athletic Conference and 16th nationally in rushing (109.8 ypg) and wide receiver Randle Jones ranked third in the AAC and 15th nationally in yards per reception (19.35 avg.) in ’18. Armstrong went on to be selected in the fifth round of the 2019 National Football League Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

When was the last time GT threw for over 3,000 yards?
Passing for 3000 yards barely gets you into the top 60 in this day and age. It's not really much of an accomplishment, especially when you aren't finishing in the top 80 in rushing offense. The truth is this guy has yet in his career to coach a top 60 offense at the Division 1 level, and it's been a really long career.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
UNC was a sleeping giant that needed the right staff. That train is rolling, I think it’s a good thing for the conference overall. We had a window the last 5 years with everyone on our side being down and we fudged it up big time.
Still can’t believe Howell had 3600yds and 38tds as a freshman, holy moly.

UNC should be the best team in the Coastal for the next few years. Their biggest challenge is using this time to prepare for the next coaching hire and not lose momentum. Mack Brown isn't getting any younger.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Passing for 3000 yards barely gets you into the top 60 in this day and age. It's not really much of an accomplishment, especially when you aren't finishing in the top 80 in rushing offense. The truth is this guy has yet in his career to coach a top 60 offense at the Division 1 level, and it's been a really long career.

My point still stands. Patenaude has broken records everywhere he's been OC. In 2-3 years, if he's abysmal, he'll be gone and CGC may not be too far behind him.

Let's see how it plays out when our staff has a full arsenal of their choosing to play with.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well now’s a good time to start. Let’s start with 100 pts in September.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
So hows the Juice looking now with doubling our recruit total in less than a week? I am very excited and very optimistic looking forward. This is by no means a complete roster or cycle yet, but I would say our "prospects" (how punny) are looking better than ever.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So hows the Juice looking now with doubling our recruit total in less than a week? I am very excited and very optimistic looking forward. This is by no means a complete roster or cycle yet, but I would say our "prospects" (how punny) are looking better than ever.

This staff can recruit.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone please tell me what #BpBuSp means? I keep seeing our coaches (mainly CBK) post it.
I've heard it from other sources that it stands for Big People Beat Up Small People. Can't verify the accuracy, but it may be it.