JT preseason ACC 1st team for 2015 ?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I actually think Thomas will be 1st team preseason. Beating SEC teams and winning in style are as en vogue as passing yards. Weren't All-ACC teams announced pre-ACC championship? A lot has transpired since then in games of significance to change default selections.

It's not as if JT was ignored prior to all-conference team announcments; an ESPN writer debated JT vs. Jameis as the best ACC QB. What did Kaaya/Williams do in middling bowls? Not much other than lose.

What do I not-so-secretly hope happens to maximize my enjoyment of GT football next year? Kaaya/Williams are 1st/2nd team preseason and JT gets disrespected.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Who would you name as 1st and 2nd team NFC QB?

Aaron Rogers? Tony Romo? Brees? Palmer? Ryan?

Where would you put Russell Wilson? Perhaps it depends on how you think of the question, best generic QB or best QB with respect to his offense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Personally, I could care less. I want GT to be POST season champs, as a team in 2015. Just beat everybody put in front us. That is all. Media recognition means nothing to me, especially prior to a season taking off. Individual awards in team sports? What are they really?

This^^^

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
He may not be first team preseason but very well could be player of the year. The difference in JT and Watson JT doesn't take as many squared up hits he is shifty enough to turn just enough to lose some of the impact. What I saw of Watson he couldn't dodge the contact as well and he just doesn't seem thick enough to handle those type of hits for a year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems kind of irrational to me to think that a player that was injured much of the year would be the preseason favorite QB, but who is ESPN if not irrational?

When he did play, he was lights out:

Passing: 93/137, 1471 yards, 14TDs, 2 INTs, 188.9 QB Rating
Rushing: 63/200, 5 TDs

He threw the ball half as much as Cole Stoudt and had almost as many yards. Had more passing TDs than Stoudt (6 TDs, 10 INTs). Remember, he wasn't even the starter to begin the season, and missed 5 games due to injury. Extrapolate those numbers over a full season, and those are ridiculous numbers. We like to talk about efficiency for our QB, and those numbers are very efficient. If Dabo had started Watson against FSU, FSU probably would not have won.

The big question about Watson is his durability. He missed a few games due to his had wacking a helmet, then tore his ACL against us.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
He may not be first team preseason but very well could be player of the year. The difference in JT and Watson JT doesn't take as many squared up hits he is shifty enough to turn just enough to lose some of the impact. What I saw of Watson he couldn't dodge the contact as well and he just doesn't seem thick enough to handle those type of hits for a year.
interesting thought that with a good year he may win ACC Offensive Player of the year but not be the First Team QB.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
There's no question JT will not have the crazy gaudy numbers some other QBs will have; for him to have serious Heisman consideration we will have to make the playoffs. If we do, he'll be a serious contender as by then everyone around will know he's the engine that makes this offense go.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Seems kind of irrational to me to think that a player that was injured much of the year would be the preseason favorite QB, but who is ESPN if not irrational?

Writers are more focused on "potential". The teams that have the most 4 and 5 star recruits will typically be predicted to do better. Watson has such exceptional potential that many writers will predict a brighter future. His Durability is certainly questionable so far and I doubt he will be any more valuable for his team than JT will be for Tech.