JT passing

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
What the heck happened to those pretty roll out passes to smelter and the Bbacks. JT is to short and does not feel comfortable with the drop backb

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What the heck happened to those pretty roll out passes to smelter and the Bbacks. JT is to short and does not feel comfortable with the drop backb

We did roll out a few times...JT thought it was better to tuck and run and he did get some chunk yardage.

I said after the Wofford game last week that we needed to take the positives from JT's passing against them, but those passes and our receivers being that open probably won't be there in the future simply because the talent will get better. Our OL didn't give JT as much time against Tulane as they did against Wofford, and our receivers were better covered against Tulane. JT can make all the throws our offense requires in the passing game, but if he doesn't have time and our receivers can't get open...then there's a problem.

We need to get a lot better at pass pro, our receivers need to find a way to get open, and JT needs to do a better job of reading and diagnosing the defense. He made a couple of very bad throws and was a little late on them as our receivers had a window. Tulane is probably in the bottom third of teams we'll play this year in terms of talent. If we had a hard time passing against them, it won't be pretty going forward.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing I left out. Very surprised CPJ didn't try to give Smelter some smoke routes and let him make plays. Those are "safe" passes, and gives Smelter an opportunity with the ball in his hands.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing I left out. Very surprised CPJ didn't try to give Smelter some smoke routes and let him make plays. Those are "safe" passes, and gives Smelter an opportunity with the ball in his hands.
Tulane disguised their outside coverage well. They showed cushion, then they walked up several times. It's hard to read "smoke" when they do that.

Also, they played two deep safeties most of the game. Hard to go deep on that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and it made them so vulnerable to outside options that it didn't make much sense to throw. Why bother when your backs are averaging 5.7 ypc? Their D reminded me a lot of Cuse last year. I didn't think anyone would do that again.

Not to worry about JT and throwing the ball. It's just a matter of experience and confidence.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Is our offensive line even built for passing? I mean, it seems the point of cut blocks is to take your opponent down for the small time window it takes to run through them. Sustained blocking? I'm not so sure...

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ said post-game that we had some opportunities if we were looking in the right place; referred to one play where Zenon was wide-open on a wheel route because Tulane double-teamed Smelter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tulane disguised their outside coverage well. They showed cushion, then they walked up several times. It's hard to read "smoke" when they do that.

Also, they played two deep safeties most of the game. Hard to go deep on that.

We have route combos that don't require us to go deep. See John's comments.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just watch the film Techster. The green comb overs were lining up their safeties very wide compared to most teams. An alignment like that pretty much takes the smoke route away because the CB has help and is not on an island.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just watch the film Techster. The green comb overs were lining up their safeties very wide compared to most teams. An alignment like that pretty much takes the smoke route away because the CB has help and is not on an island.

Gotcha. Thanks, Boomer.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Tulane may have just been showing respect for what Smelter did to Wofford.

If y'all recall, Iowa played four DBs deep against us in the Orange bowl. It works if you have strong guys on the interior and corners who are able to set a hard edge when they see the run coming. Iowa was able to keep Bebe from shaking loose deep with a nice mix of cover 2 and cover 4 while also ensuring that they never got outnumbered on the edge - because there was always going to be a safety on that side of the field.

There's a lot of ways to skin the cat. Tulane's guys kept putting themselves out of position and were weak against the blocks, but I don't think their game plan was necessarily bunk. They managed to hold one of the best WRs in the ACC without a reception, which was surely one of their primary concerns. We just made them pay for it