JT-Passing QB

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, early days caveat yada yada ...

Actual passing attempts have accounted for 25% of plays and 34% of yards.

Over past 6 years, we've averaged passing in 19% of plays, with high of 22% in 2013, and 28% of yards with high of 30% in 2009 and 2013.

While I haven't parsed previous seasons for QB, it seems CPJ is happy with JT as a passer who will get better.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn't surprise me at all. A lot of people panicked when the talk of "getting back to basics" got started. People were all lamenting the end of the forward pass. I said it then and I will say it again. Running the option well will make us a better passing team. The more devastating we are running the ball at the QB position (and all other positions), the more we will pass and the better we will pass, simply because it elicits a certain response from the defense. When it works, you do more of it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just giddy reading the OP and the two responses.

The passing game is looking better - so far - this season compared to the last couple of years.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ likes throwing with JT because of his threat to run and he can buy time. Defenses have to really blow up the play to get a sack on JT before he buys time or makes a play. He will run before throwing it into double coverage so it less risky, he's an efficient QB

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
^^
I really enjoyed watching yesterday as JT looked, saw nothing, and fought tooth and nail to get out. And boy, he usually got out.

JT is definitely showing a little bit of new guy jitters, but settles down well. Enormous room for growth, and CPJ sees his potential. Whatever's going on behind the scenes, CPJ showed at Blacksburg that he trusts JT to throw the ball when CPJ sees a pass as the strategic choice.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts on this topic.

I am glad JT is "short." Like CPJ and Joe Ham said it isn't like he woke up one day and instead of 6-3 was a 5-11 QB. He has had years of experience at having to compensate for his height at the position. That actually really suits this particular offense because success in the passing game is primarily premised on play action and rollouts suggestive of running the ball. His strengths in the passing game were already based on the necessity he had of seeking better throwing angles on the run and developing a quick release due to his stature.

Second, he showed improvement in this game from the GSU and Tulane games of making the choice to tuck and run in a few spots where that was available to him and there was nothing there to pass to. He made a poor choice in one critical drive when he could have run for first down on a 3rd and long in the GSU game where he added to the poor decision to pass by throwing back across his body towards the middle of the field into double coverage. VT had a couple of near misses at interceptions this game but neither time was Thomas's pass a particularly bad decision. So he has been showing that he clearly takes improving himself and decisions game to game seriously. That earns more chances in the passing game.

Last, while I have been only slowing ratcheting up my public praise of Thomas I really cannot say enough about how fantastic Smelter is, both in what he has done for his own good as a player and athlete in a short span but also for what he is allowing a young newly starting QB to be able to do. It really makes such a world of difference to a young QB to have someone who can repeatedly embarrass (not just beat but I mean own) one of the best corners in college football one on one like Smelter did all game Saturday. Smelter has been improving at an unbelievable rate and with Laskey as the b-back . . . those two deserve so much credit for giving CPJ the freedom to let Justin keep getting chances in passing attempts and plays overall.

I am not going to pick on any former Tech SA's but Smelter has caught everything remotely catchable (not that Thomas is making tons of bad throws) and even Laskey really has fantastic hands. Heck Deon Hill has made some really strong catches. With hands like these on the team Thomas is just going to gain more and more confidence every day.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The fist bump he gave JT after the Smelter TD agrees with you.

I have watched that play a few times. Looks like it was planned by GT. JT pauses the snap count when the corner comes up. I see recognition. They practiced this. Practiced it. When the corner blitzes, we run a pump fake and throw the ball over the top. Then they executed it. Watch the play. That blitz was schemed for -- they were just waiting for Bud to call it.

/

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The other thing about passing, is if nobody is open, JT can just run. I'd like to see some stats if anyone has them on how many positive yards he picked up scrambling on passing looks.

Also, I'd like to see us throw on 2nd and short. We seem to always run the dive and get the easy first.

/

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I also remember a couple of plays where the receivers were covered, the pass rush cut off any running lanes, and JT threw the ball out of bounds rather than trying to force a throw into coverage.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
His new name is Justin "Football". Not afraid of running or getting hit. I am so proud of him.
I think he probably also isn't scared to go to class. So I am hoping for a nickname that doesn't recall someone too recent and so much the primadonna as Manziel.