JT is the perfect qb for us right now

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I hate the term "swagger" when the person is really simply pompous and loud-mouthed. JT leads more by his actions than talk. He comes across as someone you would want to have with you during a war because he is poised and you know he will give 100% effort, 100% of the time. Also he has enough talent to give you confidence that he can make it happen. When he does talk, there is no false bravado, his responses are calm and truthful. The team knows he is "the real deal" and will therefore follow his leadership.

Like Bruce Wayne I believe their are so many factors in each game that I wouldn't be surprised if JT had a drop in stats in 2015. Regardless, this team appears to poised for great things over the foreseeable future and even if the record comes up a bit short, the team should still be an outstanding representative of Tech, worthy of strong support. Just wish the season would start sooner!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is Joe Hamilton OK with being the second best qb in GT history?
Shawn Jones still leads the list for me because he took Tech to a national championship. Like Thomas, he did not have to have gaudy statistics in every game but took what the defense gave and made every one of his teammates play ten times better than they would have without him. O.K., JT, go get us a national championship this year!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The analogy of Quarterbacks being like point guards is pretty true for our offense given the decisions in the 3O.

I like that he can drive and dish with equal ease, and do believe he makes the right reads frequently enough to be a next level guy for us. I am really excited to see him continue to move forward during the offseason.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of my first corporate America leadership seminar when I was told there 4 types of leaders; "Unconscious Incompetent"; "Unconscious Competent" (was good leader but didn't know it); "Conscious Incompetent" (not a good leader but knew he wasn't) and lastly the "Conscious Competent". That is what JT5 is.

Actually, I think JT is in the "Unconsciously Competent" category. What this means is that he is no longer having to think about what he is doing to do it well. It's what every coach wants from every football player (and every prof from every student), but it takes awhile and some game experience to get it. That pitch to Hill that Thomas made in the Georgia game is what they are talking about. He wasn't thinking; all he did was wait until he was in the grasp then he made the pitch. In 2013 or even early last year, he wouldn't have done that, but now he just does. That's what everybody has been waiting for here to get the O to run like it does at Navy: a physically talented QB who is playing instead of thinking.

Btw, I think that's what you want in leadership positions too. But that's another conversation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wait, since when does Nesbitt have "limited skills"? That dude was a hell of a runner, and had a very strong arm to get the ball down the field. He was a different style QB for us than JT, but still a very skillful player.
He was indeed a very strong runner and able to wedge his shoulders into small gaps to pick up 2-3 yards when it wasn't there, and I think a competitor. But he had no speed, no elusiveness and while he indeed have a very strong arm, accuracy was often an afterthought.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like this thread but I do want to throw one bucket of cold water on the conversation. In our saner moments I think most of us recognize that football is a team sport and that a QB gets more credit or blame than deserved. @dmurdock points out astutely that JT was helped greatly by the senior leaders he had with him last year. While we are all confident that he will grow into being an upper classmen leader himself this coming season I recall a ill-fated Heisman campaign for the last experienced QB we all got really excited about. But without the help from multiple positions where the team had lost experience the year did not go anywhere near as planned for that QB or the team.

I am hoping for great things from the offense again but would not be shocked at a dip in some areas of production. I am cautiously optimistic that the defense will improve enough that the overall course of the season will be fun, exciting, and successful. I have no doubt that JT will have his fair share of moments of glory though as he is certainly a special talent in this offense.
He was indeed helped. One of the more interesting moments of his after-practice interview Monday was his noting that a "a lot of young guys" were out there. From a redshirt sophomore. But caution is merited.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@takethepoints - yeah he was definitely playing in the zone near the end of the year.
If you taped them and wake up in the early hours, take a look at GSU, Tulane, VT, and compare what you see with the Georgia, FSU and MSU games. Hardly the same QB; hardly the same team. His skills and confidence improved exponentially, I think, and the better he got the looser Johnson held the reins and the more he opened up the playbook. It's probably not coincidental that the great coaching job for the team and Johnson's and Cook's coaching of their QB were on a dual track. I have no insight into the culture of the team but my impression is that Cook was a tremendous coaching hire by Johnson. Now, if the AB and BB hit the ground running ... as others have said, I can't wait for the season.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If you taped them and wake up in the early hours, take a look at GSU, Tulane, VT, and compare what you see with the Georgia, FSU and MSU games. Hardly the same QB; hardly the same team. His skills and confidence improved exponentially, I think, and the better he got the looser Johnson held the reins and the more he opened up the playbook. It's probably not coincidental that the great coaching job for the team and Johnson's and Cook's coaching of their QB were on a dual track. I have no insight into the culture of the team but my impression is that Cook was a tremendous coaching hire by Johnson. Now, if the AB and BB hit the ground running ... as others have said, I can't wait for the season.

Indeed, he is a really good coach...and great recruiter as well. He has done a great job all the way around. Coach Johnson has made some good hires.

Lamar has the AB's FWIW.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Indeed, he is a really good coach...and great recruiter as well. He has done a great job all the way around. Coach Johnson has made some good hires.

Lamar has the AB's FWIW.
Can't be anybody better than Owens in teaching the handoffs and pitch relationships, and with two returning and experienced backs I am starting to think Aback is not going to be a problem for us this season. Nothing is written that we have to have six, and plugging in another strong 2 will, assuming Snoddy has no lingering affects, put us in good shape. I was reminded of Johnson's first year difficulties when I saw Cox playing Aback. Actually did a good job, just unusual now to see him there.