JT is the perfect qb for us right now

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
With respect to breaking in all the new guys. The more I think of why I like JT, the longer the list grows.

Obvious:
-Outstanding athlete
-Skill set is perfect match for our offense
-Two years eligibility remaining
and he ain't skipping off to the NFL early

Not so obvious:
-Laid back style and demeanor: no stage is too big, no problem is insurmountable. It rubs off on everyone around him, too
-Passion for the game
-Perfectionist:
he takes every little mistake to heart. When watching replays and vines, it's apparent when JT blows a read or makes a bad pass or passes to the wrong guy or whatever. All you really have to do is watch JT's reaction after blown plays to know when he messes up. He's very hard on himself and it shows which is something because he's so even keeled.
-Shrugs off mistakes: Mistakes don't rattle him, he has a very short term memory. Just recall the mutt game and how he got us into Butker range following the near debacle following his fumble. He did similarly all season.
-Never blames teammates
-Humble yet has "swagger"
(man I hate that word, but it fits)
-Hard worker
-Leader:
guys just plain believe in and follow this guy, they can't help it
-coachability: You never see the slightest hint of insubordination like you saw with prima donna Winston.
-Winner: says it all

I can't think of a better combination of traits in a qb getting set to break in a whole new crop of green horns surrounding him. His laid back demeanor and quite confidence is key in this. He's not worried one bit about it, he's eager to get to work. I can't say how much I love this guy.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
+1000.
I watched his post-practice interview and was so impressed with his attitude and recognition of what his role is on the team. I have the feeling that our great chemistry will continue with him as the established leader.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
+1000.
I watched his post-practice interview and was so impressed with his attitude and recognition of what his role is on the team. I have the feeling that our great chemistry will continue with him as the established leader.
I agree plus the fact our staff places much emphasis on the character of our SA along with talent. Team chemistry is a very important ingredient in over achieving and winning. Talent is also needed but I have seen many more talented teams go down in defeat by lesser talented teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
+1000.
I saw that and it also occurred to me that his outlook and ability to verbalize it is likely a product being mentored well by either CPJ or Coach Cook or both. I can easily see one of the coaches telling him this is your team, you have to mold it to your standards and lead by any means, not just by example...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Think about how much pressure his talent alone takes off the backs of his teammates. Every position on the team is made easier by JT and that's no exaggeration.

OL's don't have to hold blocks as long, heck, they don't even have to make them because he's able to make something out of nothing so often.

Bbacks benefit by his precision on the mesh which freezes defenders. Abacks benefit by the fact defenders cannot afford to slow play the qb take responsibility.

Receivers benefit by his quick release, accuracy and forced single coverage.

The whole defense benefits by all the points put up and pressure on opposing offenses to score every possession and limited possessions.

It's a huge ripple effect and JT is the stone that falls in the pond.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Having so many senior ball handlers last year really helped his development. They helped carry him early in the year, and then as he got better they were able to stay with him so he could maximize his development. I think the seniors loved playing with him because they could see the talent, the potential.

This year is the complete opposite. He and the offensive line are going to have to carry the young guys until some of them break out. Having Snoddy and Andrews at AB will be huge as well, especially in 3rd down situations. But there is no doubt that this is JT's offense the next 2 years.

I had a chance to watch Mark Price his first 2 years at Tech. JT is a lot like Price, an offensive threat that will burn you himself if you don't account for him, but is just as happy if not more so when he is able to get the ball to a teammate for a big play.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
He also doesn't usually take unnecessary chances with the ball; i.e. dumb pitches or passes over the middle because he's feeling pressure from defenders. The only bad passes have been to the sidelines when he's tried to thow out of bounds across the line of scrimmage and has thrown too close to the sidelines too low on occassion and allowed for defenders to step up and get an interception before it went out of bounds. I think Justin will start to pass higher next season and cut back on that one small mental error.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Great post - and definitely agree with this stuff. It's funny - I think the version of Swagger that JeT brings is so different from the Swagger associated with "Da U" and other negative connotations.

His version seems more confident that cocky, and really - IMHO - is the kind that builds championship caliber teams. The guys can see and feel the conviction radiate off of him on game day and in must-win-situations.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Great post - and definitely agree with this stuff. It's funny - I think the version of Swagger that JeT brings is so different from the Swagger associated with "Da U" and other negative connotations.

His version seems more confident that cocky, and really - IMHO - is the kind that builds championship caliber teams. The guys can see and feel the conviction radiate off of him on game day and in must-win-situations.

Yes, and I don't see him showing this "swagger" where it is NOT appropriate, and I know I should not bring this up, but R. Ball showed misappropriated swagger at times, and it was embarrassing.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Nothing new to me. BUT IT IS A GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THANKS!!!! JUST SO POSITIVE!!!!!!! ALL FANS SHOULD BUY INTO EACH REPLY!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!! AND YES I AM SHOUTING!!!!!!!!

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I think what you're looking for in using the word "swagger" is more just a calm and measured confidence and self awareness. JeT seems to know what he can, and sometimes can't, do and exudes a calm, centered confidence in those abilities. Like a skilled maestro who takes the stage knowing he can conduct this diverse set of talents, and mold their differing strengths and weaknesses into beautiful music. He seems to have risen to that level where he doesn't have to talk about how good he is -- he knows it and believes others will come to know it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
With respect to breaking in all the new guys. The more I think of why I like JT, the longer the list grows.

Obvious:
-Outstanding athlete
-Skill set is perfect match for our offense
-Two years eligibility remaining
and he ain't skipping off to the NFL early

Not so obvious:
-Laid back style and demeanor: no stage is too big, no problem is insurmountable. It rubs off on everyone around him, too
-Passion for the game
-Perfectionist:
he takes every little mistake to heart. When watching replays and vines, it's apparent when JT blows a read or makes a bad pass or passes to the wrong guy or whatever. All you really have to do is watch JT's reaction after blown plays to know when he messes up. He's very hard on himself and it shows which is something because he's so even keeled.
-Shrugs off mistakes: Mistakes don't rattle him, he has a very short term memory. Just recall the mutt game and how he got us into Butker range following the near debacle following his fumble. He did similarly all season.
-Never blames teammates
-Humble yet has "swagger"
(man I hate that word, but it fits)
-Hard worker
-Leader:
guys just plain believe in and follow this guy, they can't help it
-coachability: You never see the slightest hint of insubordination like you saw with prima donna Winston.
-Winner: says it all

I can't think of a better combination of traits in a qb getting set to break in a whole new crop of green horns surrounding him. His laid back demeanor and quite confidence is key in this. He's not worried one bit about it, he's eager to get to work. I can't say how much I love this guy.
The only point I would have an issue with is passion as kind of unseen. In the sense that if you see him on the sideline after a score, he is really into it. I think I would add "competitor" because that is clear, and not every player on the field, while all playing hard, are competitors, a category to itself. I thought Nesbitt was a competitor with limited skills. I never got that feeling with Washington, nor with Lee. Playing hard, yes. But not competing. Competitively speaking, he comes to kill you. And perhaps the "swagger" description, though I am not sure how a HS coach friend describes such is better: "athletic arrogance". "If you can do what you think you can do, it's not arrogant."

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
..... He seems to have risen to that level where he doesn't have to talk about how good he is -- he knows it and believes others will come to know it.
Reminds me of my first corporate America leadership seminar when I was told there 4 types of leaders; "Unconscious Incompetent"; "Unconscious Competent" (was good leader but didn't know it); "Conscious Incompetent" (not a good leader but knew he wasn't) and lastly the "Conscious Competent". That is what JT5 is. He is a good leader and knows it. Good leaders recognize the need to take care of and develop those under their leadership. You will follow these leaders out of the fox hole into enemy fire.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
My only thought is--when would a guy like JT NOT be perfect for our program?
The experience he got last yr now makes him INVALUABLE-- without the exceptional WRs and backs we lost.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The only point I would have an issue with is passion as kind of unseen. In the sense that if you see him on the sideline after a score, he is really into it. I think I would add "competitor" because that is clear, and not every player on the field, while all playing hard, are competitors, a category to itself. I thought Nesbitt was a competitor with limited skills. I never got that feeling with Washington, nor with Lee. Playing hard, yes. But not competing. Competitively speaking, he comes to kill you. And perhaps the "swagger" description, though I am not sure how a HS coach friend describes such is better: "athletic arrogance". "If you can do what you think you can do, it's not arrogant."
Wait, since when does Nesbitt have "limited skills"? That dude was a hell of a runner, and had a very strong arm to get the ball down the field. He was a different style QB for us than JT, but still a very skillful player.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Think about how much pressure his talent alone takes off the backs of his teammates. Every position on the team is made easier by JT and that's no exaggeration.

OL's don't have to hold blocks as long, heck, they don't even have to make them because he's able to make something out of nothing so often.

Bbacks benefit by his precision on the mesh which freezes defenders. Abacks benefit by the fact defenders cannot afford to slow play the qb take responsibility.

Receivers benefit by his quick release, accuracy and forced single coverage.

The whole defense benefits by all the points put up and pressure on opposing offenses to score every possession and limited possessions.

It's a huge ripple effect and JT is the stone that falls in the pond.
I like this thread but I do want to throw one bucket of cold water on the conversation. In our saner moments I think most of us recognize that football is a team sport and that a QB gets more credit or blame than deserved. @dmurdock points out astutely that JT was helped greatly by the senior leaders he had with him last year. While we are all confident that he will grow into being an upper classmen leader himself this coming season I recall a ill-fated Heisman campaign for the last experienced QB we all got really excited about. But without the help from multiple positions where the team had lost experience the year did not go anywhere near as planned for that QB or the team.

I am hoping for great things from the offense again but would not be shocked at a dip in some areas of production. I am cautiously optimistic that the defense will improve enough that the overall course of the season will be fun, exciting, and successful. I have no doubt that JT will have his fair share of moments of glory though as he is certainly a special talent in this offense.