Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't see this linked. New article in the AUC. Nothing really new.

The invitation was conditional on Okogie participating in every part of the combine, according to Evaristus Okogie, Josh’s eldest brother, who is guiding the family through the process. Some higher-profile prospects choose to skip parts of the combine, believing there is nothing to gain.

“The goal is to get there and maximize every opportunity given to him and make the best out of it,” Evaristus said. “It’s a privilege to get an invitation to come, and once you get it, you just go in there and do what you’ve got to do, and then after that, we’ll be able to make a more definitive decision on what to do.”

With Tech’s semester over, Okogie also is free to travel to private workouts with NBA teams. Evaristus Okogie said last week that he was working with “a good number of NBA teams” to schedule workouts.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...ion-nba-draft-combine/vfV26yUWyjk4l16JOPPm4K/

slugboy

Staff member
With the camp invites, it’s looking pretty risky that he goes—at least to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is a dangerous team from our perspective. Rebuilding team with 3 first round picks (2 late round) and an early second round pick gives them the ability to take a flyer on someone like JO who could be a piece down the road for them - but not a disaster if it doesn't pan out. Pick 30 is danger.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will be surprised if the Hawks use all four of those picks. But, why would they use a first round pick for a player they could perhaps sign as a free agent? I think Josh will return to GT if he doesn't get some first round assurances during or after the combine. Next year is not as top heavy.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...shares-thoughts-draft/BdVxvxJhAFMbYFqdbas7cK/
Josh Okogie’s pre-draft tour came home to Atlanta Monday for a workout with the Hawks at their training facility. It was the third workout that he has had with a team thus far, he said, following sessions with the Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets.
From feedback, he said he does not have a sense of where he might go in the draft.

“I’m all over the place,” he said. “Going through this combine and going through this final stretch before May 30, I’m hoping to get a more defined gauge of where I’m at.”

May 30 is the deadline for returning to school. Okogie said he wasn’t sure when he and his family would make a decision on his future, although it would be after the combine in Chicago, which is May 16-20. He said he did not have any more workouts scheduled between now and the start of the combine.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Another interesting quote from the article:

“I think, really, the goal is to stay in the league,” he said. “If going in the second round is how I’m going to go and stay, I don’t know. But right now, I’m always shooting for the best possibility, and I think I have the potential to be a first-round pick, so that’s everything I’m shooting for.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I may be wrong, but I do not think the NBA Combine is held to differentiate among players beyond the first round. Pinson, Maye, and Berry were never going in the first round for a variety of reasons. Josh is getting mixed signals, but I wonder if the mixed signals are centered around, "we hoped we might see you as a late first round pick." Boston, Brooklyn, and Atlanta have three of the final four picks in the first round. If he is getting mixed signals it means these teams are not giving him the assurances he hoped for. I bet he is now hoping one of the other teams above those three will be more positive about their intentions during the combine.