Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner said in an interview a couple weeks ago he expects Okogie to go if he's projected in the 1st round, and to stay otherwise.

Pastner said that would be his advice to anyone going to the NBA, he never said Okogie agreed with him on that opinion as far as I know.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Pastner said that would be his advice to anyone going to the NBA, he never said Okogie agreed with him on that opinion as far as I know.
He said neither of those things. The comment was specifically about Okogie, but it also wasn't a firm agreement either. He simply said he expected the Okogie would go to the NBA if he was projected in R1, and stay at GT otherwise.

The quote: "I believe if [Okogie] is not a guaranteed 1st round pick, he will end up coming back to school. I don't know if he's going to be a 1st round pick this year, he just wants to get the information and get educated. And the NCAA and the NBA allow you to do that, so I think a lot of guys [this year] will try the draft, enter the draft, not sign an agent, get the feedback, and then make decisions from there."

Last edited:

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
He said neither of those things. The comment was specifically about Okogie, but it also wasn't a firm agreement either. He simply said he expected the Okogie would go to the NBA if he was projected in R1, and stay at GT otherwise.

The quote: "I believe if [Okogie] is not a guaranteed 1st round pick, he will end up coming back to school. I don't know if he's going to be a 1st round pick this year, he just wants to get the information and get educated. And the NCAA and the NBA allow you to do that, so I think a lot of guys [this year] will try the draft, enter the draft, not sign an agent, get the feedback, and then make decisions from there."

Actually he did, see the bold below from this article. Key phrase there is "I believe" which means it's just his opinion.

"Coach Josh Pastner said that he told Okogie and his family that if he is guaranteed to be a first-round pick – if a team tells him it will take him with its first-round pick if he’s available – then he should stay in the draft.

“Obviously, if he wants to come back, that’d be up to him,” Pastner said. “If you’re not a guaranteed first-round draft pick – and this isn’t about Josh, this is just my general opinion – you should come back.”

Pastner went on to say that Okogie will make “the smart decision” and that he believed that if Okogie “doesn’t get that feeling (that he’ll be a first-round pick), that he’s going to come back.”"

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any time a young man puts his name in I just assume the worst and hope for the best.

I do not think he will be a first round pick. Would a team tell him they would take him though hoping he would stay in and they grab him in the 2nd round. That is not unusual. As has been said before, probably 45-50 kids are told they will be a first round pick.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Actually he did, see the bold below from this article. Key phrase there is "I believe" which means it's just his opinion.

"Coach Josh Pastner said that he told Okogie and his family that if he is guaranteed to be a first-round pick – if a team tells him it will take him with its first-round pick if he’s available – then he should stay in the draft.

“Obviously, if he wants to come back, that’d be up to him,” Pastner said. “If you’re not a guaranteed first-round draft pick – and this isn’t about Josh, this is just my general opinion – you should come back.”

Pastner went on to say that Okogie will make “the smart decision” and that he believed that if Okogie “doesn’t get that feeling (that he’ll be a first-round pick), that he’s going to come back.”"
Ok well I was discussing a different interview, in which is said neither of those two things, and I left the quote. You don't need to hijack the comment to talk about a different conversation he had to try to argue the quote I have doesn't fit the counterpoint you made about a different interview. Geez.

On the David Glenn show, he says the quote I listed above. He neither talks in general terms nor a specific agreement he has with Okogie. Here is the link to that show, where he talks about Okogie at 34:15:
https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/H6LGhwwz0

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok well I was discussing a different interview, in which is said neither of those two things, and I left the quote. You don't need to hijack the comment to talk about a different conversation he had to try to argue the quote I have doesn't fit the counterpoint you made about a different interview. Geez.

On the David Glenn show, he says the quote I listed above. He neither talks in general terms nor a specific agreement he has with Okogie. Here is the link to that show, where he talks about Okogie at 34:15:
https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/H6LGhwwz0

What are you talking about? I didn't hijack anything. You said CJP never said that, so I responded showing you that he in fact did.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
A well done video that highlights his strengths for people viewing him, most likely for the 1st time after seeing him on mocks:
•non-stop motor
•athletic ability on the break/on the drive
•the current style of NBA defense-the reach and poke out
•crazy long arms for impressive chase down blocks and offensive boards
•pull up game
•can hit the three
•shows flashes of great passing skills

crut

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way I honestly wasn't trying to be argumentative or anything I think we just interpreted what CJP said differently.
Well it was from two different interviews, so yes the information was different. No hard feelings.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
If he goes and is a 2nd round pick then we just have to accept it. Would be a uphill battle for him I think. I just think he can be a first round lock next year so it would be much easier for him but everyone keeps thinking he is gone but nobody has any actual evidence.? Just gut feels right?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If he goes and is a 2nd round pick then we just have to accept it. Would be a uphill battle for him I think. I just think he can be a first round lock next year so it would be much easier for him but everyone keeps thinking he is gone but nobody has any actual evidence.? Just gut feels right?

For me it's a gut feel but it's based on the interview he gave a few weeks back. Just from his tone you could tell he has one foot out the door. JMO

Edit to add: This is based on him being told he will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. If he is not promised 1st or 2nd round I won't be surprised if he's back.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
No need to even try and read through lines of anyone's interviews. We've been GT fans for long enough to know what the outcome will be for situations that are teetering between good and bad.