Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Screenshot_20180325-135412.png

Here's a screenshot. Somehow I still have insider access even though I un- subscribed to their magazine about 10 years ago. Shhh don't tell anyone!!

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
This seems to be more of a reflection of pure prospects and not necessary what puck they will go. I have seen a lot of draft boards that have Duval and Trent as first round picks but I have not ran across one that has Okogie in the first round and have not seen many where is forecasted in the second. If you google 2019 I think nba draft net Still has him as a 2nd round pick.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Don't see him as first round and maybe not second. If he is projected as 2nd round then I think he is gone. Pastner is probably still not happy with the AZ trip either. That kind of thing puts your whole program in jeopardy. That text he sent makes me think he has already checked out of college BB.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Don't see him as first round and maybe not second. If he is projected as 2nd round then I think he is gone. Pastner is probably still not happy with the AZ trip either. That kind of thing puts your whole program in jeopardy. That text he sent makes me think he has already checked out of college BB.
I’ve felt like he declared for the Draft when hopped in Ron’s pool.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What text are you talking about?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What text are you talking about?
Do you mean his tweet? I guess that does look like he's not coming back. But he did specifically say he's retaining his eligibility by not hiring an agent.

Honestly I think he'll be back because he can easily improve his stock. But most people that can perform at that sort of level have the confidence to believe that they are ready...so I'm sure Josh believes in his heart right now that he can do it. That's a great trait to have. That being said, if he gets advice telling him to stick around another year, I hope he's able to listen to it. That would be the difference from being talented, confident, and wise vs. being talented and cocky.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Everything I've read basically states that he is a very RAW player with a ton of abilities, but still has some developmental issues that he needs to work on. All in all, I think he has a great chance of being drafted, but also has a good chance of returning to play for Tech next season. If he returns, I think we have a chance to get to the NCAA tournament. I'm anxious to see how all this shakes down.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't think you're wrong at all, @Gtbowhunter90 . However, one realization I'm coming to is that "declaring for the draft .... but not signing with an agent" shouldn't move the needle anymore.

I mean, I follow it pretty closely and dudes I barely even tangentially consider NBA prospects are feeling the need to put together these fancy edits declaring ... "After careful consideration, blah, blah, blah ...."

There's only so many spots that are gonna get meaningful looks from a workout standpoint, much less actually being drafted. What I'm looking forward to is the point when the NBA starts their true minor league so this madness is no longer necessary.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you're wrong at all, @Gtbowhunter90 . However, one realization I'm coming to is that "declaring for the draft .... but not signing with an agent" shouldn't move the needle anymore.

I mean, I follow it pretty closely and dudes I barely even tangentially consider NBA prospects are feeling the need to put together these fancy edits declaring ... "After careful consideration, blah, blah, blah ...."

There's only so many spots that are gonna get meaningful looks from a workout standpoint, much less actually being drafted. What I'm looking forward to is the point when the NBA starts their true minor league so this madness is no longer necessary.

2 Things - First, declaring for the draft has been a broad brush for real and imagined NBA prospects for a while. Couple of years ago Cal had his whole team including the team managers (true fact) declare for the draft as a way to both highlight his program and position declaring as a tool any high end player (or manager) should do as a matter of course. There are cases such as Tony Bradley last year where someone who you say "do what?" does find out that teams are willing to draft his potential at the end of the first round. Then he goes - and in reality ought to go.

Second, I don't think that the NBA doing away with the one and done rule plus beefing up the G League is going to fix or eliminate this yearly beauty pageant. There will always be sophs and juniors who think they have played their way onto an NBA roster who need to find out whether that is the case or not. You may not have the ones who were tabbed as NBA ready coming into college, but everyone like an Okogie who shows the potential in college will want to walk down the runway to see and be seen.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I have noticed ever since JO declared he's popping up on 2018 mock drafts that he hasn't been listed on all season. I think most analysts just assumed he would stay in another year but now that his name is out there he's shooting up some boards.

I haven't seen him as a projected first rounder this year, but JO never said being a 1st rounder was a requirement to leave even when he was directly asked about it. Fingers crossed but definitely don't have my hopes high that he returns.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a link to all underclassmen who have declared: https://www.si.com/nba/2018-nba-draft-list-declarations

As of 4/4
  • 21 with an agent
  • 32 without an agent

Of the 21 with an agent, here are the ACC names
  • PF - Marvin Bagley III
  • PG - Trevon Duval

Of the 32 without an agent, here are the ACC names
  • G - Bruce Brown
  • G - Marcquise Reed
  • G - Shelton Mitchell
  • C - Omer Yurtseven
  • G/F - Josh Okogie
  • SF - Deng Adel
  • PF - Dewan Huell

That list doesn't yet include G - Jerome Robinson and G - Ky Bowmen. Lot of ACC guards going to be battling it out with each other. Expect Tyus Battle to add his name to that group too, and most expect him to stay in.

And that's only the underclassmen...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
All the dukies say Carter and Trent will go. Josh keeps dropping with so many declaring. If he thinks at least second round then he probably goes. He may be tired of the grind of school and BB.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's a link to all underclassmen who have declared: https://www.si.com/nba/2018-nba-draft-list-declarations

As of 4/4
  • 21 with an agent
  • 32 without an agent

Of the 21 with an agent, here are the ACC names
  • PF - Marvin Bagley III
  • PG - Trevon Duval

Of the 32 without an agent, here are the ACC names
  • G - Bruce Brown
  • G - Marcquise Reed
  • G - Shelton Mitchell
  • C - Omer Yurtseven
  • G/F - Josh Okogie
  • SF - Deng Adel
  • PF - Dewan Huell

That list doesn't yet include G - Jerome Robinson and G - Ky Bowmen. Lot of ACC guards going to be battling it out with each other. Expect Tyus Battle to add his name to that group too, and most expect him to stay in.

And that's only the underclassmen...
Sounds like Duval got some bad advice IMO....he underwhelmed me at Dook in his one season.

He feels like someone who should have entered with an opt to come back rather than risking going unselected.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sounds like Duval got some bad advice IMO....he underwhelmed me at Dook in his one season.

He feels like someone who should have entered with an opt to come back rather than risking going unselected.

Almost feels like a bit of a force-out considering, like you said, he kinda underwhelmed.

Like Jackson last year. He surprisingly went round 1 but his career prospects are still in question

crut

Helluva Engineer
Pastner said in an interview a couple weeks ago he expects Okogie to go if he's projected in the 1st round, and to stay otherwise.