Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
NBA scouts didn't think he was a first rounder either. Nobody did until his measurables at the combine

You originally said, "potential first round pick" and before that "average player."

Yet, he was invited to the combine from a team that had not made the NCAA while he was there. That certainlysuggests that he was seen as better than average. I suspect it also indicates that he was seen by some as a potential first round pick (which I think was also reported pre-combine).

So, what makes you right and the professional scouts wrong.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
You originally said, "potential first round pick" and before that "average player."

Yet, he was invited to the combine from a team that had not made the NCAA while he was there. That certainlysuggests that he was seen as better than average. I suspect it also indicates that he was seen by some as a potential first round pick (which I think was also reported pre-combine).

So, what makes you right and the professional scouts wrong.
Um plenty of average players get invited to the combine. He wasn't even gonna play at the combine til several players pulled put

tagnrun

Georgia Tech Fan
Not making the tournament in 8 years is crazy. If you think about it, the incoming freshman were in 5th grade the last time Tech was in.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
All we have to do is look at Lammers.

ACC DPOY and 2nd team all ACC in 2017. All ACC defensive team both 2017 and 2018.

just judging on those accolades alone I'd say he was slightly above average as a player. No combine invite though.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
No they don't. I would suggest you need to do a little bit more research on this topic. Your perspective seems to be a bit off here.
Yes they do. In fact I think you should look into it a little more if you are going to talk about this subject.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The NBA is all about potential and measurables. Okogie was an average player nationally but he's got potential and his measurable were off the chart.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The NBA is all about potential and measurables. Okogie was an average player nationally but he's got potential and his measurable were off the chart.

Statistically speaking he was not an average player though. Media hype and production are not the same thing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Josh Okogie was 3rd team All-ACC. 14th highest vote getter.

In the ACC alone, there are 15 teams x 13 scholarship players/team (roughly) = 195 players.

What is your definition of average? I think most are interpreting the word based on its meaning, whereas you're using it in a different way.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
His EPI was the 8th best among the 131 players I tracked in the ACC this year (which is all players who played in at least 75% of ACC games or avg at least 10 mpg in ACC games).
That puts him in the top 6% of ACC players I tracked and if you include the players I didn't track he likely would have a higher EPI than all of them and he would be in the Top 5% overall in the ACC.
Not what I would call average.

I imagine he would hold around that percentage nationally, so Top 5-10% nationally to me would not be an 'average' player.

FWIW, the players ahead of him were Colson - ND, Bagley - Duke , Maye - UNC , Carter Jr - Duke , Robinson - BC, Moore - Wake, Grantham - Clemson

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Josh Okogie was 3rd team All-ACC. 14th highest vote getter.

In the ACC alone, there are 15 teams x 13 scholarship players/team (roughly) = 195 players.

What is your definition of average? I think most are interpreting the word based on its meaning, whereas you're using it in a different way.
You cannot tell me honestly if you watched the majority of GT games the last 2 years that you think Okogie is really all that great. I would guess half the games he just disappeared. My original point tho was that a bunch of teams are getting their star guys back but of course ours leaves. Just seems we have some bad luck

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If he is not all that great why are you worried/commenting on him leaving?

Should be good riddance so we can get a better player in here. (y)